SASS Wire Forum

Straight rifle stock or pistol grip?

Silver Dollar Drifter

The straight-sided lever on the straight stock is much more comfortable for me to operate at match speed. The convex outer lever side hits my fingers wrong on the opening stroke.

My rifles are straight,But I don't care because a don't hold it when I shoot.If I hold it I get told not to.

Lightning pump

The straight stock came first historically, on the guns we shoot. I shot straight stocks since '99 in '66 and '73's, but this year got my first pistol grip. I like it fine and actually don't feel any difference when shooting it, but others seem to have their preferences. The pistol grip rifles cost about $100 more, so that influences some decisions.

John Wayne used a straight stocked '92, as did Chuck Connors. don't forget Jimmy Stewart in Winchester '73. Most of the TV shows and movies used straight stocked guns. Once in a while you might see a Marlin, but it/they were probably straight stocked as well. For some strange reason, the pistol gripped guns seem out of place. :)

Which came first historically as far as a 73 is concerned was the straight stock. I am assuming you are asking about deluxe models. Deluxe models in the originals are defined by how fancy the wood is and the checkering. The first model 73 deluxes only came with straight stocks. At least that's how I understand it to be.

Hope this helps.

CC

Which came first historically as far as a 73 is concerned was the straight stock. I am assuming you are asking about deluxe models. Deluxe models in the originals are defined by how fancy the wood is and the checkering. The first model 73 deluxes only came with straight stocks. At least that's how I understand it to be.

Hope this helps.

CC

There were abundant numbers of fancy pistol grip 1873's from the get-go. Winchester also had a very busy custom shop that produced variants that were not catalog items.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/popup.cfm?id=100381244&num=2&pic=100285929-2-L.jpg

There were abundant numbers of fancy pistol grip 1873's from the get-go. Winchester also had a very busy custom shop that produced variants that were not catalog items.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/popup.cfm?id=100381244&num=2&pic=100285929-2-L.jpg

The 73 in your photo is not a first model 73. The question was which came first the straight stock or pistol grip. In 73 there were no first models in pistol grip that have ever surfaced, but I could be wrong!!

Either way it's a great topic.

CC

I like the looks of the straight stocked guns. As shallow as the curve on a '73 is, I can't tell much difference in shooting them. Not like the sharper curves of some of the Marlins and Winchesters, like the 1886 and Model 71. While not legal for main match rifles, I like them but don't care for the pistol grip.

:FlagAm::FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm::FlagAm:

For the low recoilling rifles (like main match SASS). I like straight shape.

But if I'm shooting a .45-90, make it pistol grip contour.

BTW: I have a Win M-24 SxS that I really love. But it is painful to shoot with that damn English style stock. I'm looking for a pistol grip butt stock for it.

Mustang

The 73 in your photo is not a first model 73. The question was which came first the straight stock or pistol grip. In 73 there were no first models in pistol grip that have ever surfaced, but I could be wrong!!

Either way it's a great topic.

CC

I did not post a photo, so unsure about what you saw. I agree it is a great topic & surpised at the number of responses. Thanks.

I did not post a photo, so unsure about what you saw. I agree it is a great topic & surpised at the number of responses. Thanks.

Cuban Crisis was commenting on the picture link posted by Olen Rugged.

In his book Winchester Lever Action Repeaters, Vol. I, Arthur Pirkle states that pistol grip '73's were "quite rare."

I think if you plant your thumb there may be advantages one way or the other.....but for me once the gun is on my shoulder my hand never touches the frame so it doesn't matter at all while I'm shooting it. I have both and can go back and forth without noticing which one I'm shooting......so for me it's more about which one looks better than how they function.

Archived