SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch Match in Orlando "Urban Cowboy" Category

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

We had our bi-monthly Wild Bunch match in Orlando Saturday. I shot in the "Urban Cowboy". This is a category we created to try to entice shooters from some of the other disciplines to try Wild Bunch without having to buy or borrow the guns.

Urban Cowboy (in Orlando) is any gun that can fire lead bullets to SASS legal velocities. I used my 1911 along with a semi-auto Thompson and a Browning A5. Needless to say the Thompson attracted a lot of attention from the IDPA group that was setting up for their match the next day. From my experience though, shooting a semi-auto is NO advantage. The Thompson (a modern manufactured Auto Ordinance) took two men and a boy to operate the charging knob. And since the A5 mag only holds 4 it's really slow on the six shot stages.

All that aside, it was a hoot to shoot these guns in match conditions. There is quite a learning curve. But I don't think that I could ever shoot them in a match as fast as my regular WB guns.

Does anyone else out there have a similar category?

We have an "OPEN" class. Any pistol from the period +/- that can shoot. SO modern Kimber's full race. Broom Handles, Wheel guns. Any rifle, any shotgun accept semi-autos.

And just to be different some of us shoot WB using black powder. What BP in a 1911, why yes, thank you.

Ike

Archived