SASS Wire Forum

.32 H & R and the SASS Smoke Standard

Since Edward R. S. Canby mentioned the test in the Smoke Standard thread, I've posted the results chart at .32 H & R Smoke Standard Test

The usual disclaimers apply since the smoke standard is a subjective one, like gymnastics judging or costume contests, not something measurable with equipment like power factors or stage times. The disclaimer is: If your load fails a Smoke Standard Test, you can't blame the article. You get the penalty.

I will also note, less there is more misunderstanding than there already is on the subject, we didn't get to test a full charge 777 load or a full charge APP load. 777 has a considerable number of disclaimers on their website, enough to cause Canby to fear for his wife's Rugers. If you put in enough powder, and you can, it will pass. The comment in the ROII Handbook applies:

Through testing it has been determined 1cc of blackpowder, in either a .32, .38, .44,

or .45 case, all produce approximately the same amount of smoke. Some types of
blackpowder, or blackpowder substitutes, may produce this amount of smoke with less
volume of powder. For example, a competitor may find 9 grains of one product produces
the same amount of smoke as 15 grains of another. Before deciding on any reduced
blackpowder or blackpowder substitutes load, a competitor should test them to ensure
they meet the baseline standards. Always consult with the manufacturer of the powders
as to their recommendations prior to any loading.

Basic conclusion: Yes, you can make SASS legal loads in .32 H & R using blackpowder or any of the currently available substitutes.

Expect the full article in the December CC.

We use Goex Pinnacle (Basically the same as APP) with a 115gr 32-20 bullet in my wife's 32's in a 32 H&R case. Use enough powder to get the recommended compression and It make LOTS of white smoke. No problems with the standard at all and they will take down knockdowns too.

Dogmeat Dad

DD, my wife's knockdown loads in .32 H&R mag are the same 115 grain bullets loaded over 777 FFg to the base of the bullet. They seem plenty smokey too. Other shooters have commented "I thought you were shooting .32s." Like CB says, the .32 H&R case has adequate volume for legal SASS BP rounds.

Ms. Mary Matilda has been shooting LFC for a couple of years using her Ruger .32 H&R Magnums along with her Marlin in the same caliber.... ...they are topped off with a 115 grain RNFP bullet over 777 with no air space or empty volume... ...makes great smoke and is not a mouse fart load at all...

...and it has shamed a couple of FC men producing a lot less smoke...

Archived