SASS Wire Forum

Reloading Reo Blue Shotgun Hulls

Come On Christmas

Dear Fellow Skeet Range Scroungers,

They have Brass Bases but even after you resize them you can push primers into the pocket with very light thumb pressure. I am thinking a cotton swab of GORILLA GLUE on the sides of the primer pocket.

Crayfish

Howdy:

BPI sells a device to tighten the primer socket. I suspect REO uses a slightly larger primer initially and that is why the primers are loose. Primers (all 209) are not all the same size - some smaller slightly, some larger slightly. The other reason you may be experiencing loose primers is that they were reloads and over charged - the primer socket can enlarge. Gorilla glue might work for one reload - getting them out for a second would be minor challange. Might be best to just toss them - I don't know what kind of base they have and you don't want that sticking in your barrel.

JMHO

STL Suomi

I am gonna try a sleeve or two of competitive primers. I already cut these down to roll crimp. I make black powder square loads that are unbelievable. Just use a .125 card atop the powder and fill it up put a over shot card and roll crimp, These feed well through my two drop 1887 cause of the roll crimp and they are short dawgs.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Rio-209-Shotshell-Primers-1000_box/productinfo/RIO209/

Read and learn, I did. This explains the why, and gives you a where. At $30, plus the $27.50 hazmat, they are not out of line. Especially if you order several thousand to amortize the fee. They also sell powders, including Pyrodex and Triple 7. Or maybe you can find some locally.

I like the RIO primer and use them in STS & AA all the time. Originally just because I was out of WIN 209 & had 1000 for CFDA (they don't back out of wax cases). I seldom if ever get a high or loose primer that takes 2 strikes to fire.

I are gonna glue em these are cut down throw aways I am gonna use at the all shotgun shoot the Shortgrass Rangers put on. I used this recipe at Oakwood and it knocked down two knockdowns some distance apart.

PS. Next time I need primers I am gonna buy those Cheddite Primers. I bought some pre primed hulls from Ballistic that used them. Work Great.

We've been shooting the Cheddite primers in our reloads (Reminton and Win hulls) at our trap club for over a year now with no problems after thousands of rounds and multiple reloads, each.

Fiocchi promers, on the other hand are slightly larger, and if you reload once with them, the primer pocket will no longer take Wins, Rems or Cheddite. - only another Fiocchi. Maybe the Fiocchi primers will fit snug in Crayfish's hulls?

BTW, a few of our trap guns had trouble ignitiing the FIocchis. Mostly Perazzis had the problem, my BT-99 and Citori had no problem.

Howdy

I have fired thousands of Rio trap loads over the years. Just shot two boxes today. For what it's worth, the bases are steel, not brass. They have a brass colored wash on them, but they are steel. Put a magnet to them and you will see. Sorry, I have no wisdom to add about reloading them, I just throw them out after being fired. I only reload Winchester AA or Remington STS hulls.

I put a small drop of super glue (the kind you get 10 tubes for $1 at the flea market) on the rim of the primer pocket then push in a standard (Win 209) primer with my thumb. If the primer doesn't seat all the way, you can put it in the priming statin of the Lee Load-All 2 & seat it. This method has worked OK for a couple hundred rounds, both smokeless & BP. It's a bit tedious, but if you're frugal (translation - CHEAP) you can get a bunch of hulls for nothing besides a little extra effort. The super glue comes off your fingers with a little acetone.

Holler

Fact is those hulls were made and expected to be tossed after being shot. Yes, you CAN reload them, but they are a very low quality hull, and are better suited for the dumpster. Yes, those bright shiny brass looking case heads are STEEL, with a brass looking wash on them to retard rust, and will give you fits in shucking them from a SXS shotgun.

Rio primers are a couple of thousands bigger around than domestic primers, and once used, domestic primers will fit loosely. Glueing them in would work, but what a PITA. Use AA or STS hulls and you will have the best luck. Winchester or Federal primers are the most relable.

RBK

No commonly available glue is going to hold a shotshell primer in against 12,000 psi or so as the shell fires.

Glue is just a silly idea in so many ways. At some point, fragments of the glue will get into your firing pin channels or barrel lockup and you will have a non-firing shotgun. If it were a good idea, loading manuals would recommend it. Ballistics Products would recommend it. Nope, neither do. They recommend using the proper primer (a Rio or Fiocchi).

Good luck, GJ

Archived