SASS Wire Forum

How does one remove the bolt cross pin in a 73?

What's the secret code to removing the bolt cross pin in a Uberti 73? I'm trying to change out the firing pin of my 73 for one of Pioneer Gun Works' extended firing pins. I apparently have a new enough rifle that it has the funky little plate to hold the firing pin extension in place. According to Marauder's website,

"The second method (in really old rifles OR in the newest
models) uses the forward pin that holds the links. In this model, the
pin is removable, just slide it out. Then there is an odd shaped piece
that slides up into the breech block that holds in the firing pin
extension. Then you may remove the firing pin extension, firing pin and
spring."

However, therein lies the rub. Mine doesn't just slide out. It seems to be pretty firmly attached to the breech block. Any suggestions for removing it?

Thanks!

Use a BRASS punch and definitely support the underside / backside when you drive it out. The pin is tight in the side retaining plate by design, but not extreme.It's not as scary as it seems.I place a piece of hard wood under the bolt as support, but a small socket like Richie Reno suggested could work also. After the pin is out, then the side plate will slide out of the cut in the assembly. The side retaining plate that the pin passes thru does go back in the same as it comes out...IE it has a front / back angle so keep track as it will make it easier to reassemble!

If ya care ta do so...

When I had mine apart..

I tooks some very fine 600 grit sand paper and wrapped it around a small dowel... (or drill bit)

Put it in the hole of the bolt and spun it a few times..

That sanded the hole out (ever so slightly) just enough to make the pin slide in and out without the use of a hammer..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I didn't like the idea of beaten' it out with a hammer fer future disassembly.. :blush:

Oh yeah.. I ain't a gunsmith.. :wacko:

When cleaning my 73 after removing the toggle links the pin falls right out, I have to be careful not to lose it or the tab that retains the two parts of the bolt. Anyone know when the change took place from this way to the solid pin? And are the bolts interchangable?

Mad Dog...

They made the change about oooohhh... maybe 3-4 years ago.. :wacko:

They said the new bolt style is safer....

The whole thing (bolt and extention) will interchange but... not just the bolt..

The bolt extention.. (thingy that pushes the hammer back) is made to allow fer that little piece that falls out

when yer pin falls out...

Old model has a tiny little pin... that goes into the tiny little hole the old bolt extention has.

Rance ;)

Thinkin' that's the best I can do :)

Well, I'm confused. I've had mine for 4 years or there abouts and got it from someone here on the Wire that had it. I didn't know there was a difference until I watched a guy clean his a the range last month and he said I have the "old type" and that the ones with the large pins solid,and the small pin retaining the two parts of the bolt together were the "new type". Kida a PITA to have to keep an eye out for small part when cleaning, but I'm used to it. The first time was kinda exciting though. :mellow: Thinking the little pin could be a PITA if I needed to get to the firing pin too...

Mad Dog...

Thinkin' he just made a little mistake...

That big pin that slides through the flat retainer (that ya gotta' watch out fer) ...

that holds the bolt extention to the bolt...

that the front of the toggle links slip over

Is the new style....

They were sayin' that little tiny pin ya had ta drive out with little bitty punch was a weak point.. and dangerous...

Rance ;)

Thinkin' that's all the knowledge I got..

but.. thinkin' ya got the new style...

Mighta' been ooooohhh... 4-5-6 years ago they made the change :blush:

Told ya I wasn't a gunsmith :)

Thanks for the info Rance, just went out to look at the date code on the rifle, but it was to much trouble to take off the forearm to check, and finding the codes online was not cooperating either....must be meant for me to do something else with my time today :D

I am not a gunsmith, but I have been a machinist for more years than I care to mention.

I have had folks bring their new style bolts for me to press out the pin on an arbor press. I then open the hole to a slip fit so they can disassemble it themselves in the future.

Both my rifles that had the new style bolts were already slip fits.

I was gonna say something about Italian machinsts, but I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

You can make a tool for this a 1 inch x 1 inch metal block one side flat and the other side with a 1/4 hole. The hole side is for removing the pin and the flat side putting it in and will come out to the right depth. Works good!!!!!

I was under the impression the change was somewhere around 2008.

That's the same impression I find myself under. ;) Guess Uberti decided to use the same method that Winchester used to retain the firing pin/firing pin extension after determining that the cheaper method was more dangerous. Wonder if some poor sole had to pay the price with a patch over the eye to figure that one out.

First time I did it I used my press but have used the hammer, punch, and supporting socket method since. Much easier than supporting the rifle and related tools in the press while pumping the press lever.

Sorry I haven't replied before now, folks, got busy workin' cows and shootin' and otherwise sidetracked. Thanks for the info. It looks like I need to get a brass punch next time I go to town.

Since I had to make an order from VTI for some things I ordered a pin just in case. Mine that came with the gun is a very loose fit. The one that came would need a hammer to get it in. So in my experience it is the pin, not the hole, that varies in size. Just thought I would throw that out, in case anyone is considering changing the hole size.

Archived