SASS Wire Forum

Taylor's 1911 vs Remington R1 - What's Your Opinion?

Brazos John

I'm looking for an economical 1911, and have narrowed my search to the Taylor's ($475) and the Remington R1 ($525). Not a big enough price difference to choose one. I want it for Wild Bunch, but also as an investment. I already have a 1918 original Colt 1911 w/ US stamps, so I have a good one, but I'm afraid to shoot it much more. Been using it for Wild Bunch for about 17 years at THSS, and don't want to press my luck.

Hence, my search.

So, what do you like or dislike about the Taylor's and the Remington? Which will be worth more in the long run? Thanks for your opinions.

R1 American Made ! :)

I won a Taylor's at the TX WB Championship a coupla years ago... liked it so much I went back for seconds. Like any good 1911, with good mags, flawless. Using CMC Shooting Star mags and a 200 gr RFN.

Taylor imports an Armscorp gun made in the Phillipines. I've got an Armscorp gun (mine is RIA). It may have been an early RIA, but Armscorp has been making 1911s a long time before RIA came into existence. I've found about 5 things wrong that I've had to fix on it.

I have not had a Remington in my hands, but from the reviews of them I would take the Remmie hands down. Fewer parts made of sintered metal (MIM), good quality control, and higher accuracy out of box, according to most owners.

Good luck, GJ

Consider this one - USA made too (that's what I have been told)

http://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/HARTFORD-1911-A1-PARKERIZED-CHECKERED-GRIP-380p1418.htm

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I have been seeing a lot of comments on other discussion forums complaining about the lack of quality control in Remington firearms including their 1911 R1. As I recall the R1 had teething problems when it was first introduced by Remington.

Frankly trying to upgrade a low end budget 1911 with aftermarket parts is like trying to put plaid pants on a pig. When you are done you still have a pig only now it is wearing plaid pants.

If I was to go the low end budget route I would take a hard look at the Rock Island. With MSRP at $508 out the door price will be around $430 range. Better yet there is a R.I.A. on gunbroker with a buy it now price of $410.00.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=369125276

my taylor came with two magizines that were not legal for WB, and it was advertised as a WB gun

no biggie, just a fact

My brother bought a Taylor's 1911 (sold for WB). I was amazed it also came with a mag that wasn't WB legal.

Odd at best.

Ringer

Best "out of the box" 1911 I've owned: Ruger SR1911. Trigger (& price) is better than the 9 Colt 1911's I own.

They can be hard to find.

I'm gonna buck the trend here, but first I gotta say I have not owned or shot an R1.

However, I have owned three RIA's (still have two of 'em). All three have been excellent guns after a 200-300 round break-in period. Don't shoot Wild Bunch, these are my personal self-defense/carry guns, so you might say I'm betting my life on them.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the Rock Island, High Standard and the Taylor 1911's are all made in the same factory. Basically, same gun with different stampings. YMMV

And more

I too won a Taylors 1911 am very happy with it. It is perfect for Traditional and can be used in Modern if you want to use two hands. Yes it came with two "non-Wild Bunch" magazines, but I am grateful for that. Because if it hadn't, it would not be able to be sold in california. Taylor took the right path when they chose an Armscor pistol that was already able to be sold in california and got it "grandfathered" in. I use the mags in my non Wild Bunch guns. No biggie. :)

Remington R1, hands down the best out-of-the-box 1911 I've ever owned. I also have a Series 70 Colt, an S&W 1911, and a Para Expert. All pale in comparison to the R1. Being an FFL and able to get almost anything, what does that say to you?

I think the Remingtons are assembled in the US, but the parts come from the Phillipines.

Nope, parts machined in a Remington plant in Kentucky, I believe.

That ugly rumor about non US parts in the R1 just won't die. Remington says the R1 and all its parts are 100% American. Who ya gonna believe?

I own 4 WB 1911s. A Rock, an AO, a Norinco, and an R1. The R1 is hands down the top of the heap. I just shot the TX State WBAS for the 3rd year in a row with the R1. Because the R1 never bobbles or fails me. Didn't even clean it first. It is a soldier and just soldiers on.

I like my Rock, and my Tommy and my Chink-O. All good guns but they all have hiccups and bobbles. The R1 just does not. I absolutely LOVE my R1.

Archived