SASS Wire Forum

410 and deer

Trigger Mike

410 works just fine on deer. My dad took his first three deer with one my brother took his only deer with one and i took my first deer with one. Just make sure he can hit where he aims

TM,

Shot my first 2 deer w/410g slugs in PA, many many moons ago. Make certain shot is 30 yds or less.It'll drop a 130- 140 lb buck like a bag of bricks.

Regards

CBO

Doesn't meet the "modern hunter's" thinking of .49 cal, 5,000 fps with a 90x scope, 25 lbs. of "tactical" crap and all the other trimmings, but it's been used successfully for a lot of game.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but I saw many quite large mule deer taken with them.

Post pictures when the lad gets his first meat.

1/5 ounce = 87 grains. This is far from a 158-grain .357 Mag, and the velocities are not far enough apart to make a difference.

Many deer are taken with 40-grain .22 Mags every year.

The game is owed using the best ammo that you can find, practice at practical ranges and flawless execution in the field. It would a shame to have this first deer hunting experience for this fellow be flawed by taking a poor shot with a under-qualified load and ending up with a wounded animal. I enjoyed going hunting with my uncles and my dad as a spectator until I could handle a practical gun. There is a great deal of value to just being there.

Just try to remember that a lot of people think deer are invincible. If i had a dime for every time someone pushes the new wiz bang ultra mag rifle or the people who claim using anything less than a 44 mag pistol, id be rich. The truth of tHe matter is where you hit. Too many people rely on over powered guns because they take marginal shots and count on the wound channel to bleed the deer out. A shot to the head, heart, or lungs will put the deer down.

Know your rounds ballistics, know your limitations and stay within them

look at the plain simple facts. Most 2.5" 410 loads run between 700 and 800 lbs kinetic energy. Thats more than most.357 loads. Ya bump that up to a 3" and you can increase that by about 15%

So the big question is about your son, does he have the discipline to take only the clean kill shots?

Evil ( whos legally taken deer with 32 h&r mag, .357, 44 mag, 45 colt, revolvers 410 20 &12 slugs and a few rifle rounds too) Dogooder

With the possible exception of a .32, any rifle you use for SASS would be a better choice. Even a .32 would have the edge in accuracy. Unless I was hungry and had nothing else I wouldn't use a .410, and I cut my teeth on a Mossberg .410 bolt action.

JHC

My best fiend started his daughter deer hunting with a .410 from a tree stand behind the house in the woods they have. Over 4 years she has taken 6 deer with a .410.

There are however some 'tricks' to using a .410.

First, she limits shots to 30 yards.

Second, she only uses Berenneke 3 inch .410 slugs as they are heavier and better velocity than the Remington/Winchester variety in most stores.

Third, she is very careful about shot placement. A broadside shot with placement behind the front leg for a lung shot is necessary.

Also a note, she lost a 12 point buck estimated at 150+ BC points (over 220 pounds) with placement 'on the shoulder' her second year. They had patterned this one on trail cams for 8 months. They tracked it 2 days but it crossed the road into an 'anti's' corn field and he would not allow them to go get it.

Speaking for myself, I generally hunt with a SP-10 deerslayer. 20 inch barrel with rifle sights. The 1 3/4 ounce slugs in 10 ga. penetrate from chest to rear leg and exit. The ones shot with this have fallen dead right there. I hate tracking deer.

I would love to use my cowboy rifle to hunt, but in Ohio ---- centerfire rifles are not legal for deer hunting. Shotgun with Slugs, handgun or muzzleloader only.

Take a look at the Georgia law about legal shotguns for deer hunting. I did and I believe it says 20 gauge and larger. It is the same here in Iowa. Not saying a .410 won't kill a deer, but a legal firearm might be more appropriate.

Yepper - in Illinois (and quite a few other states in the Midwest) - you cannot use a 410 slug.

Must be at least 20 gauge. As previous posters noted - check your state's regulations.

- BB

TM

some years past , there were some LIGHT FIELD , managed recoil loads avalable , I think that was who made em

I have made the Girls , light deer rifles , 7x57mm and 6.5x 51 ARI , and 6.5x55 Swede

If it is a S/G only area , our Regs , allow M/L rifles , so they shoot 45 inlines

CB

I have taken deer out to 75 and 80 yards with my 410.

I have a Winchester 9410 Rifle ( Shotgun )

She throws a 45 cal slug at 1800 to 1900 FPS.

In this 24" Rifle ( Shotgun ) you have near ballistics of a 30/30 Rifle .

So Hell Yes you can hunt with a 410.

Different shot guns in the same caliber shoot better than others.

Take your son out and see what he can hit at what range .

Then you decide what the range of his kill zone is .

Good luck .

Archived