SASS Wire Forum

The Lowly Comma, and Why We Use It.

Subdeacon Joe

Seen on a road sign:

Slow

Deaf

Children

We always figured they didn't need to put up signs warning you about fast children, because they could get out of the way.

I disagree with the "Oxford Comma". It's not the way I was taught. If you think it would be confusing, simply re-write the sentence.

"We invited Washington, Lincoln and the rhinoceri.

There's a book I read, back when I was a yonker. Andre Norton War Between the States book, called Ride Proud Rebel. .

Now, I have always pronounced that, in my mind, as Ride - Proud Rebel. Today I happened to glance at the title page of the book. There's a comma in there.

It's Ride Proud, Rebel. That completely changes the tone of the title. Instead of telling the Proud Rebel to Ride, which is what I thought it said, for the last 40 years, it' telling the Rebel to Ride Proud.

Gotta love punctuation.

What Mrs. Smith wrote: "John Smith, having gone to sea, his wife requests the Congregation to pray for his safety.

What the Pastor read: "John Smith, having gone to see his wife, requests the congregation to pray for his safety."

:lol:

I remember a teaching shift when I was in school back to the Oxford style.

The story behind it (don't know if it was actually true or not) came from the civil courts.

A man died and left his belongings divided between John, Jack and Jill.

John argued that the man intended John to get 50 % and Jack and Jill to divide the other 50% because the comma separated/split the estate where he wished.

Jack and Jill argued that they were all entitled to a 1/3 share of the man's possessions.

John won the case 'cheating' Jack and Jill out of 8 1/3 % of their share.

So we were told...

Oh, and as PDQ Bach would say, "Throw the yule log on Uncle John." Or was it "Throw the yule log on, Uncle John."

I can't remember.

Count me on the Oxford side - my mother was a proper English major in the "Oxford" camp.

It is so ingrained in me I cannot fathom any other option.

I argue daily with a couple professional journalists (big egos) I work with all the time on this. The last two examples were great.

Harvey

I always tell my students it's for taking a breath when you read---but now I can tell 'em it's for taking a leak :D:blink:

There is the famous top 10 song from the "50s sung by Gayla Peevy.

So how many pards remember: "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas!". ?

A favorite in our office each year at Christmas!

Harvey

all I no is that all fuss about proper grammer and spelling is to much for me and their is know reason to keep talking about it as if any one kneads to learn this stuff any ways cause it makes no cents to me whatso ever and has no effect on my daily life and its not like we ever have to us it ever or any thing like that ever..... Let me be clear. ;)

all I no is that all fuss about proper grammer and spelling is to much for me and their is know reason to keep talking about it as if any one kneads to learn this stuff any ways cause it makes no cents to me whatso ever and has no effect on my daily life and its not like we ever have to us it ever or any thing like that ever..... Let me be clear. ;)

I could turn this political by writing, "Yes, Mr. President." But I don't want to get this thread pulled, so I won't.

I could turn this political by writing, "Yes, Mr. President." But I don't want to get this thread pulled, so I won't.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Here's an example of a misplaced comma, I remember it for a '30's edition of Ripleys believe it or not. The first is how it should have been.

Pardon impossible, to be sent to Siberia. .......but It came like this....

Pardon, impossible to be sent to Siberia. and he was released.

Archived