SASS Wire Forum

Open Carry Chicken

Subdeacon Joe

Antis are always squawking about something!!

I find myself wondering why anyone would be dumb enough to purposely stir up people by open carrying a rifle. It's more like inviting trouble in my opinion. Yes, there are places where it might be appropriate, but this was not really one of them. On the other hand, I open carry a handgun quite a lot. Big difference..

I find myself wondering why anyone would be dumb enough to purposely stir up people by open carrying a rifle. It's more like inviting trouble in my opinion. Yes, there are places where it might be appropriate, but this was not really one of them. On the other hand, I open carry a handgun quite a lot. Big difference..

How so?

I'm with DDD on this one!! I do not see a big difference.

I often carry my sidearm openly. When I was younger I carried a long gun in the window rack in my pickup. Sadly, things have changed and the bad guys will break into your vehicle and steal that displayed firearm. But carrying a long gun is definitely NOT unusual in this part of the country, and shouldn't cause any alarm except among those who oppose ANY possession of personal armament.

It is seldom wrong to exercise one's constitutional rights.

How about open carry of a long arm to counter all the propaganda that anyone with one is a thug or terrorist intent on shooting anything and everything? We now have people making "man with a gun" calls when they see someone with a golf club, umbrella, broom, and even a clarinet.

If we join with the antis, pointing fingers and chanting "ooo....man with scary rifle!" and demanding that they be kept at home in the safe, how are we any different?

How about open carry of a long arm to counter all the propaganda that anyone with one is a thug or terrorist intent on shooting anything and everything? We now have people making "man with a gun" calls when they see someone with a golf club, umbrella, broom, and even a clarinet.

If we join with the antis, pointing fingers and chanting "ooo....man with scary rifle!" and demanding that they be kept at home in the safe, how are we any different?

DAMN WELL SAID!!

please pardon the expletive

I could see openly carrying an AR 15 rifle in a marketplace if there was a specific need, but to be doing so just to make a point causes more harm than good. while it may be lawful, it is not expedient. openly carrying a pistol is the same to me really. Why would you? What is the need for it? Better to keep it hidden, why make yourself the first target a criminal shoots at? It is the same reason why police are encouraged NOT to wear caps or hats or jackets identifying them as a police officer when they are off duty. Officers that did that were shot first in robbery attempts.

100%

GG ~ :FlagAm:

The more that people are exposed to lawful open carry by law abiding gun owners, the less they will be upset when they see it. I can carry in my state either concealed or open. I carry all of the time where it is legal to do so.

There are times when I don't conceal, when I'm getting out to fuel up my vehicle, when I walk to the mail box, when it's hotter than blue blazes and I don't want to wear a large shirt or a jacket, or when I'm exercising my constitutional right to bear arms with a group of like minded individuals in a peaceful display of those rights.

I do not normally carry a long gun in town. If it was all I had and I needed to carry it for whatever reason, I wouldn't hesitate.

Archived