SASS Wire Forum

Trailboss Powder

hambone

I visited my local gun store today and he had a new powder out that I am not familiar with. It's a IMR powder called Trailboss and it's touted for CAS shooters. I bought a bottle to try out. Does anyone here have any experience with this powder? All comments and suggestions are welcome.

Hambone

Trailboss is all I have used for my 38s.I love it because of the volume in the cases.

Trailboss has been out a long time and is very popular with SASS shooters. You can go to Hodgdon's or IMR's websites, there is plenty of loading data.

It's been out a few years now and is well liked for cowboy shooting and general use.

Loads are included in the Hodgdon web site.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

In the loading data, you will notice that it is not a high pressure load, so i recommend that you NOT load at the lowest level. Go up about 1/3 of the way in the recommended range and it is great. Essentially cannot make the mistake of a double load for our cartridges.

Love Trailboss for CAS. I use it in 38 Special pistol and 45 LC rifle.

It burns clean and meters well through the measure.

Trailboss is likely shot by over a third of CAS shooters (based on informal observations of mine).

I tried it but prefer RedDot for 20-th century cartridges and W-231 for .38WCF and .32WCF for CAS due to costs. My local dealers are either very CAS knowledgeable and are constantly out of Trailboss, or price the 12-ounce can like a pound at $20-plus.

The advice above looks pretty good. Many of your local cowboys will be very familiar with this powder and loads.

Trailboss works well for light loads in almost any firearm. (Semi auto exempted)

Many cowboys reload it in all rifle/pistol calibers they load.

I load it in my 32 S & W all the way up to 45-70 with equally good results.

As has been noted, due not go below recommended MINIMUMS unless you like squibs and the dreaded posse giggling "mouse fart".

I've used it for several years in 44 Russian, 45 Schofield and 44-40. I like it because it's durn near impossible to get a double charge be cause it fills up the case so much. Some folks that use a Dillon 550 say you have to use the large powder bar to measure consistently.

Trailboss is all I use also. Fills the cases very well.

I load all my .45LC with it and now my .357 rounds.

I use trail boss exclusively...'the only complaint I have is it's an Aussie powder yet can be purchased for less in the USA than here in Australia !!!!!!

I've used it for several years in 44 Russian, 45 Schofield and 44-40. I like it because it's durn near impossible to get a double charge be cause it fills up the case so much. Some folks that use a Dillon 550 say you have to use the large powder bar to measure consistently.

Been using it for 4 years and have been pleased. I used Clays for several years and still do at times.

I also use the large bar in my 550 as those little donuts meter better through it. As has been said, load

above the minimum for best performance and use a tight crimp.

CBG

Trailboss is wonderful powder. The only downside is cost. It is an expensive powder. A lot of people buy a bottle for $16.00 or $17.00 dollars thinking the price isn't to bad and thinking they have a "pound" of powder. However, those bottles are only 9 ounces. So a pound costs almost twice the price. The best way to buy it is by the keg. If you buy a five pound keg, there are five pounds in there. When you do the math that equates to 8.9 bottles of Trailboss. That brings the price down a bit.

I use Trailboss for 38 special, 45 Colt, 45 CBS and 45 ACP. When loading for 45 ACP I load toward the top of the Hodgdon loading chart and reach the Wild Bunch power factor pretty easily. It is a struggle to reach the USPSA major power factor using Trailboss. While most everybody can tell you about Trailboss' bottom end performance, you don't want to overload Trailboss. It doesn't compress well at all and will "explode if you overload." The powder is designed for volume reloaders and action shooters, ie CAS participants. If you stay between the lines it is an outstanding powder.

I am thrilled that this thread came up, I was actually looking at trail boss information online yesterday thinking about making the switch. I just got off the phone with a local shop, when I asked him if he had any Trail Boss, he says "yes I do, you a Cowboy shooter?". I said not yet but I will be soon! Great information folks! I am gonna grab some of this and give it a shot (pun intended) on Friday.

As has been mentioned, Trailboss also works well with .45 ACP.

I can tell you from experience that it does not work with the following calibers...

.30 Carbine

9mm

.38 Super

HOWEVER....

If you wanted a nice low power .30 Carbine load for use in a revolver, it would be great for that.

It *almost* works in .38 Super. It might work quite well in an older .38 ACP gun.

Many "auto pistol" cartridges did have revolvers built for them. Trail Boss could work just find in those, if you have one.

Archived