SASS Wire Forum

Cops.....Again.

Subdeacon Joe

But.....but.....but these cops were the good guys.

Knees jerk in different ways. Depends on who's jerking.

Well...good for him!! alot better than these deputies in Michigan - granted there probably is more to the story, but one deputy couldn't even get which type of firearm the land owner had.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/09/25/cops-accused-of-forcing-woman-to-delete-video-of-husbands-arrest-sparked-by-unloaded-shotgun-and-trespasser-on-his-hunting-property-but-we-have-the-footage/

GG ~ :FlagAm:

This is my mindset, and that of every Officer I know or have worked with, that's why your previous thread was so difficult for me to accept. Education and knowledge are powerful tools.

BSD

This is my mindset, and that of every Officer I know or have worked with, that's why your previous thread was so difficult for me to accept. Education and knowledge are powerful tools.

BSD

BSD, back in '04 when the AWB sunset, I had a nice chat with a cop in Sonoma County. I was helping out at a gun store/range and we were chatting, and he was all excited because when the Clinton Gun Ban sunset, he was going to buy an AR. I had a hell of a time convincing him that no, he wasn't, not unless he had something on department letterhead. He kept insisting that he could, the AWB was going away. Took a while to get through to him that that was a FEDERAL law and had noting to do with California's Roos-Roberti Assault Weapon ban. Finally the dept. armorer/rangemaster joined in pointing out that I was correct. And, even if he bought one with his own money with the letter from the department, when he left he would have to give the firearm to the department because of a recent change in CA law.

I also had conversations with a fair number of LEOs like the one in the video, pretty much a 'Hey, just so you aren't doing anything stupid or dangerous, I have no problem with you having a gun anywhere" and with the polar opposite - the "civilian" (which always gets my hackles up - cops are "civilians" too) is always wrong, no matter what, and they have no business with guns outside the house, the range, or when hunting.

ADDED:

If you are not doing anything that is illegal, just arguing with a LEO should never be grounds for a "creating a public disturbance" arrest. Yeah, if you take a swing, or make a threat, that's grounds for arrest.

BSD, back in '04 when the AWB sunset, I had a nice chat with a cop in Sonoma County. I was helping out at a gun store/range and we were chatting, and he was all excited because when the Clinton Gun Ban sunset, he was going to buy an AR. I had a hell of a time convincing him that no, he wasn't, not unless he had something on department letterhead. He kept insisting that he could, the AWB was going away. Took a while to get through to him that that was a FEDERAL law and had noting to do with California's Roos-Roberti Assault Weapon ban. Finally the dept. armorer/rangemaster joined in pointing out that I was correct. And, even if he bought one with his own money with the letter from the department, when he left he would have to give the firearm to the department because of a recent change in CA law.

I also had conversations with a fair number of LEOs like the one in the video, pretty much a 'Hey, just so you aren't doing anything stupid or dangerous, I have no problem with you having a gun anywhere" and with the polar opposite - the "civilian" (which always gets my hackles up - cops are "civilians" too) is always wrong, no matter what, and they have no business with guns outside the house, the range, or when hunting.

ADDED:

If you are not doing anything that is illegal, just arguing with a LEO should never be grounds for a "creating a public disturbance" arrest. Yeah, if you take a swing, or make a threat, that's grounds for arrest.

I'm not aware of anyone arguing that point, but you must understand that the person who refuses to identify or comply with local laws/ordinances does the Pro 2A movement no good. More and more Officers are using the paranoid citizen call to educate those ignorant of their own state's weapons law. I believe the Officer in your video to be the rule, not the exception. Education, dialogue, and relationships will correct rheems of ignorance.

BSD

Allie, I had posted this as a news story sort of as a counter to my "Militarization of Police" thread. I didn't think it was politics.

What do we do with things that are a little of this, a little of that? I just posted over there the words of a new military widow, husband killed in a helicopter crash in the Red Sea. That could easily be seen as "political" and I don't doubt that some will make some comments about the geo-political situation that led to her husbands death. Is THAT a political post?

Miss Allie, while Joe and I disagree on things, his threads pale in comparison to the angry vitriol that routinely appears on the Wire with no intervention from the moderators. I would prefer to view this type of thread rather than two old cowboys name calling because one prefers a Ruger over a Colt! ;)

BSD

I'm not aware of anyone arguing that point, but you must understand that the person who refuses to identify or comply with local laws/ordinances does the Pro 2A movement no good. More and more Officers are using the paranoid citizen call to educate those ignorant of their own state's weapons law. I believe the Officer in your video to be the rule, not the exception. Education, dialogue, and relationships will correct rheems of ignorance.

BSD

Actually, on some of the other "Cop" threads, that was being argued - the people should have stopped their legal activities and gone away, and that the LEOs were being perfectly correct for arresting them for "public disturbance" when, other than exercising a legally protected civil right the only disturbance was arguing with the LEOs.

I don't know about other states, but in CA I can legally identify myself orally and, unless I'm operating a motor vehicle, don't need to produce photo ID. If what I'm doing is within local, state, and federal laws, then do I really need to be "educated" about CA firearms laws? I know that police must respond to the frenzied, hysterical "OHMYGAWDAGUYISWALKINGDOWNTHESTREETWITHAGUN!" calls. And of course, that is now illegal in CA. And it isn't because of people trying to exercise their civil rights, it's because of people getting all they know about firearms from the entertainment industry, HuffPo, and Kos.

I'll agree, that the officer in this video is the rule. Unfortunately, at least from what I have seen in N. Calif. maybe 70% are like him, if we are lucky. That's just from chatting with several hundred, a few at a time, at an indoor range. My wife worked at one and I hung out there a lot, helping out off the books. One of the ranges was pretty much reserved for police training and qualifications, or private lessons, so about 7 departments used it. Gave me a good chance to talk with a lot of LEOs.

Gross generalization - the ones with silver in their hair and/or several hash marks on their sleeves were all pretty easy going about things, knew the laws, knew guns, knew people, if you weren't obviously breaking the law or being a threat, were more than willing to cut a person some slack, even if he had run afoul of some obscure law about guns, moon phases, and the tides. Most of the "I'm a COP and I know the law!" attitude came from the ones with only a year or so on their own. Nothing any "civilian" said or showed them - even if you had a current copy of the CA Code and could show them in print - could ever make any difference. You were a "civilian" and they were "The Police" and were eager to prove it. Like that one I mentioned above who wanted to buy his own AR when the Clinton AWB went away. He was a COP and knew much more than I did - until an older officer set him straight. Not that he wasn't a nice guy, and I'd bet that at this point, if he is still in that business and hasn't burned out, he has had a chance to grow and learn about people and himself and makes a good policeman.

Archived