SASS Wire Forum

John Wayne

Watched OPERATION PACIFIC with John Wayne tonight. They got a new movie in a trade with another sub. It was a WWll movie about a sub. DESTINATION TOKYO with CARY GRANT. Cary closed the periscope and the scene was over. Both were Warner pictures.

TF

My ship used to show a movie on the hangar deck every evening, flight ops allowing. We generally had a new movie every night. The screen was hung in the center of the hangar deck and the movie could be watched from both sides of the screen. Movies were definitely not first run, but they beat staring at the four walls of the berthing space!

Yup, ... I have them both. I also have 'Run Silent, Run Deep' with Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster, and 'Ice Station Zebra' with Rock Hudson and Ernest Borgnine.

I just love the old movies. :)

I watched "Hitari" a few days ago; second time in decades and liked it. Lots of beautiful cinematography. I remember going to the new "walk-in" theatre [as opposed to "drive-in"] on a Saturday with my friends to see it.

My ship used to show a movie on the hangar deck every evening, flight ops allowing. We generally had a new movie every night. The screen was hung in the center of the hangar deck and the movie could be watched from both sides of the screen. Movies were definitely not first run, but they beat staring at the four walls of the berthing space!

Bama - great memories. I remember going onboard the USS Yorktown in the mid-50s when she was docked at Long Beach and my father had the in-port watch. The setup was just as you described and I remembered the sights, sounds and especially the smells (Navy Standard fuel oil, AVGAS, burnt rubber, hydraulic fluid, and POPCORN!!) of those experiences.........and a wave of nostalgia erupts......

Led me to the Navy and when I made my own deployments in the early-mid 70s, the movies were projected on the mess decks and ready rooms. We used to trade movies with other ready rooms after the first showing.

Now I hear it is all DVD.

I prefer the old memories (am I a curmudgeon?).

speaking of subs--I rented Phantom [2013]-- docu-drama of actual 1968 sub event. Cold War Soviet missile submarine K-129 tests identity cloaking device and encounters US sub. David Duchovny, Ed Harris, Lance Henriksen---great acting and very suspenseful story onboard.

It wasn't a movie...K-19, starring Harrison Ford, was about another Soviet K-19 (IIRC), which had a missile disaster, but was saved. Another Soviet Yankee-1 Class (NATO designation; Soviet NAVIGA Class), had an even more disasterous leak of saltwater into one of her missile tubes, and at the same time, a leak of Nitrogen Tetroxide rocket oxidizer, which caused an explosion, followed by seals being eaten away through multiple compartments, including stopping the ability to "scram" her reactors. Ultimately, in spite of Soviet Naval headquarters demands that the crew and captain save the sub, it eventually sank. See Tom Clancy's book, "Hostile Waters". A young Soviet sailor, Sergei Preminin gave his life manually cranking down the reactor baffles, preventing a nuclear meltdown of the reactors. Eventually, the sub sank.

Archived