SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Cowboy 45-70 26" need info

Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L

I purchased mine new from Cabelas in May of 2003 at their headquarters in Nebraska. I was able to select the rifle I wanted (best wood) from a large stock of 45-70 1895s that they had in stock. The serial number shows it was made in 2002. It has the 26 inch octagonal barrel. This means they were still making that gun then.

Edit. To get the year of mfg, subtract the first two numbers in serial from 100. So if first two digits were 95, year of mfg would be 2005, ie 100 - 95 = 05.

It is interesting that the Marlin web site still shows the Cowboy in 45-70 with a 26 inch barrel is still avail??? Maybe when Marlin gets their lever action production quality issues resolved they will again be produced.

http://marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/Cowboy/1895Cowboy.asp

Interesting Marlin .45-70 history. How about the 1895 Models with 22" barrel? Where do they fit in...concurrent production with 1895 Cowboy, or before/after? The same serial number calculation mentioned above apparently can't be applied (mine is 03***), unless added to 1900? I assume the only difference between 1895 and 1895CB models was 22" or 26" barrel?

It is interesting that the Marlin web site still shows the Cowboy in 45-70 with a 26 inch barrel is still avail??? Maybe when Marlin gets their lever action production quality issues resolved they will again be produced.

The website still shows .32 Mags as available, too. I don't think they have updated it since Marlin sold out to Remington.

The website has not been updated in several years. You will not get a Marlin, you will get a Remlin, the quality difference will be easy to spot! Remlins are substandard!

Thanks for all the information. I had a customer tell me that he could buy a new one for $740 and that mine at $750 was to expensive. He offered me $300. I thought that he was an idiot, but wanted to make sure.

I told him he should go buy one and leave me alone.

Thanks,

Johnny Meadows

Thanks for all the information. I had a customer tell me that he could buy a new one for $740 and that mine at $750 was to expensive. He offered me $300. I thought that he was an idiot, but wanted to make sure.

I told him he should go buy one and leave me alone.

Thanks,

Johnny Meadows

Haven't seen one go for under a grand in quite a while.

Archived