SASS Wire Forum

Saturday's meal ~ what y'all gonna eat up tonight?

Our daughter is a flautist n the band at school - hope she's in the Marching Band also when she gets in High School!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I hope she does, too. It takes a lot of hard work, but if they enjoy it, it is well worth it. Great for teaching not only music and marching, but self discipline and working as a team. My daughter is a Field Commander this year, as a Junior. Sort of like a Drum Major, responsible for conducting the band during competitions. Theirs went well today, they had a band best score since they have been doing competition, and just their first of the season.

Oh, and as expected, my wife and I grabbed a bite out. Nothing exciting.

Had to make cornbread with bacon to go along with the beans. Thinkin' 'bout makin' coffee.

Two of my great gastronomic regrets are that I never got my mom to teach me to make proper cornbread, and that I never did get the hang of making biscuits and gravy like she did.

Marching band is probably one of the few things that kept me in high school. Lots of good times, had a great band director who wrote awesome half time shows, much of the time I was there we won marching band competitions. IIRC we marched approx. 250 members back in those days. Marched in the Rose parade in 77 I think it was.

Marching band is probably one of the few things that kept me in high school. Lots of good times, had a great band director who wrote awesome half time shows, much of the time I was there we won marching band competitions. IIRC we marched approx. 250 members back in those days. Marched in the Rose parade in 77 I think it was.

I have a hard time imagining a high school marching band that big around here! 150 is a pretty big band in these parts, with my daughter's school having about 85. My daughter wants to march for a DCI (Drum Corps International) band. Sort of the top non-collegiate amateurs. As an example, here is a corps that did a western themed show. You should recognize the music that kicks in at about the 3:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF4bZvZo9KY

Sorry for the tangent, GG!

Brought back some memories. On a whim I did a you tube search to see if any of the old band was on there. I figured not as that was well before home video cameras, would have had to have been home movies converted. Sadly I was right, so more recent stuff from my HS, but nothing that compared to the size that we were back then.

Two of my great gastronomic regrets are that I never got my mom to teach me to make proper cornbread, and that I never did get the hang of making biscuits and gravy like she did.

There are lots of theories about cornbread. Some say that wheat flour must never be used, some allow a 2:1 wheat flour to corn meal blend. Some add things like sugar, vanilla, honey, or other stuff.

Mine is pretty simple, and fairly conservative.

Ingredients:

Corn meal - 2 cups

White flour - 1 cup

Salt - about 1 tsp.

Baking powder - about 1 TBS

Eggs - 2 each

For liquid - about 2 cups buttermilk, or about 1 3/4 cups sweet milk clabbered with about 2 TBS rice vinegar or cider vinegar. You could even use water.

About 1/4 of melted fat of some sort - butter, bacon fat, shortening, even just corn or vegetable oil.

Method:

Set oven to 425.

Put your 9" black iron skillet on the stove, medium high heat, and add your fat.

Mix your dry ingredients. Add eggs and milk, mix well. Add the hot fat. Put skillet back onto the heat. Mix the fat into the batter. Pour batter into screaming hot skillet. You want it real hot so you get that nice crunchy crust on the bottom.

By this time the oven should be at, or close, to 425. Put pan in oven, set timer for 35 min. Might need a few more or a few less minutes than that. Remove from oven when golden brown and delicious. Turn out onto a place, cut wedges. Split wedges, and slather with butter. Enjoy.

Now, that's the basic, basic. You can vary the ratio of white flour to cornmeal a lot. You can add some sugar if you like. I chopped up the bacon, rendered it out in the skillet, added the chopped bacon and grease to the batter, mixed, poured it into the pan for tonights corn bread. If my wife asks for corn bread, I'll use a 2:1 flour to corn meal, and add about 1/4 cup of sugar or honey, and maybe a three fingered pinch of allspice (might add the allspice anyway, gives a nice touch to it that people like but can't figure out), so it comes out more cake-like, like you get in a lot of restaurants.

From there you can add chopped or slice peppers to add heat. Or some corn or creamed corn (reduce the liquid by about 25% if you use creamed corn). Shredded cheese can be a nice addition. Play with it.

Thanks. I will cut and save that. I know my sister does a pretty good representation of my mom's, so I will check with her one of these days. I'm thinking my mom used just corn meal. Sugar and the like were definite no-nos.

Going to a birthday party and I'll eat almost everything that's put in front of me. Don't know what it will be, but I'm betting I eat too much of whatever it is. :D

2 hamburgers, a grilled sausage, three kinds of salad (big ol' scoop of each, second scoop of the best potato salad I've had in ages), my wife's snicker doodles, a Coke, passed on the adult beverages, but my wife had a couple of glasses of wine.....and birthday cake.

Guess that wasn't enough, because two hours after we got home we had banana cream pie.

Sure glad I'm on a diet or I might have eaten too much. :rolleyes:

They have three dogs, so I got my dog petting fix for a week or so, but that won't last. :unsure:

2 hamburgers, a grilled sausage, three kinds of salad (big ol' scoop of each, second scoop of the best potato salad I've had in ages), my wife's snicker doodles, a Coke, passed on the adult beverages, but my wife had a couple of glasses of wine.....and birthday cake.

Guess that wasn't enough, because two hours after we got home we had banana cream pie.

Sure glad I'm on a diet or I might have eaten too much. :rolleyes:

They have three dogs, so I got my dog petting fix for a week or so, but that won't last. :unsure:

Any eating regimen is a diet, Rod.

I know what you mean about a dog fix. We have one again, since the start of the year. But she's a little under 10 pound toy poodle. After having dogs in the 60 pound+ range, it's still odd having to very gentle rough-housing with her. So we get our big dog fix when we take her to the dog park.

Our daughter is a flautist n the band at school - hope she's in the Marching Band also when she gets in High School!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

:D My musical career was short lived however.

66yz.jpg

After we were done shooting it was slow cooked pork butt and after the awards banquet the carmel apple cobble was done. Thursdays cherry cranberry cobbler was a mess due to using a new larger dutch oven (sorry dakota crew!) However... The carmel apple.... Well lets just say we didnt share

Saturday night we had the world famous Copperhead Joe's deep fried fish, coleslaw, chicken 'n' dumplins, lemonade, and my famous double diabetic coma brownies. There was all kinda side dishes like country fried taters and such followed by an "Evening with Milkbone" live on stage at Ponderosa Pines.

Who coulda' asked for more?? :rolleyes:;)

Saturday night we had the world famous Copperhead Joe's deep fried fish, coleslaw, chicken 'n' dumplins, lemonade, and my famous double diabetic coma brownies. There was all kinda side dishes like country fried taters and such followed by an "Evening with Milkbone" live on stage at Ponderosa Pines.

Who coulda' asked for more?? :rolleyes:;)

Wow!

GG ~ :)

Momma's off b aby sitting in Pennsylvania so I put together a pot of corned beef, boiled red potaoes, carrots and cabbage. Must have been good as me and the boy ate it all.

I coulda done with a side order of Copperhead Joe's lemonade and a big helping of "Milk Bone"

Archived