SASS Wire Forum

45-70 Question

Charlie T Waite

Picked up an NEF .223 Handi Rifle, & factory is milling a new barrel in 45-70. They ask me if I want the barrel length in 22" or 32". Told me to contact them Monday & let them know. Which would be better?

Charlie

Well the 32" barrel is off of the Buffalo Classic basically and ..."45-70 Govt 32” Dovetailed for front sight, drilled and tapped for rear sight, sights not included.Dovetailed & Drilled/Tapped"....The 22" is off the standard Handi Rifle....."Open Sights & Drilled and Tapped for Scope Rail (not included)". I have a Buffalo Classic and love it. Depends on if you wanna use it for Plainsman or for Long Range side matches. Making that decision will help you decide which barrel you want. If long range side matches, definitely 32".

What do you plan on using it for? Actual walk around hunting rifle with a little target shooting thrown in shooting primarily smokeless I'd go 22". Shooting 100 yard targets at cowboy matches with smokeless or black powder I'd still likely go with the 22" barrel. Longer range shooting from sticks or a rest with black powder 32" if your form and follow through is good. Best of both worlds get one of each!

The .223 is the 22" & I hit 100 yrd targets @ range w/it, was thinking some hunting & a side match or so.

With black powder...

A 45-70 round carries enough powder to push all the way through a 32" barrel and have some left over. In a 22" barrel a standard 45-70 rounds will use only about have the powder to push the bullet clear and the rest will be wasted outside the barrel in flame and flash. Black Powder leaves plenty of experimenting with reduced loads to custom load for either barrel.

With smokeless powder....

A 22" barrel will do as the powder will be consumed prior to the bullet leaving the barrel giving good velocity.

Additional.....

Longer barrel will absorb more of the recoil.

My H&R similar to the NEF came with a 28" barrel and does just fine for either Plainsman or long range. And beings the ejector was change to an extractor, it works just fine in all the long range events including the single shot buffalo category.

Archived