SASS Wire Forum

SASS Steampunk Outfits?

Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a couple of new shooters at our club last year, two brothers who dressed as 1880's Pinkerton Detectives, complete with period correct city suits, shoes, bowler hats, badges, etc. They looked pretty sharpe too.

I remember them, though not their names. They really looked good.

We had a couple of new shooters at our club last year, two brothers who dressed as 1880's Pinkerton Detectives, complete with period correct city suits, shoes, bowler hats, badges, etc. They looked pretty sharpe too.

This is relevant to my interests. Names of those involved, photographs of same and directions to sources for these outfits would be appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.

The Wild, Wild West was where I was going. I was always a fan of Artemis Gordon.

Howdy Pard: i think it would be a great idea............Now let's see how we can get more than 2 matches a year at the Founders Ranch.......let the steam punks run it.........Tuco.

Some of my new hat modifications.

Top Hat Front
Hatband Hats008.jpg Top Hat Left Side VooDooHatsfinished008.jpg Top Hat Side Closeup on Cards VooDooHatsfinished005.jpg Top hat rear with Chicken foot and jujus VooDooHatsfinished006.jpg Top hat left detail VooDooHatsfinished007.jpg Top Hat and Derby VoodooHats008.jpg Steampunk
Derby Pictures 3/4 View Hats010.jpg Side Hats009.jpg Side with closeup on Cards Hats011.jpg Steampunk
Derby with new Goggles and New Vaquero Front view VooDooHatsfinished009.jpg 3/4 View VooDooHatsfinished011.jpg 3/4 view with Vaquero VooDooHatsfinished010.jpg Derby Rear with Coyote jaw, Jujus, and
vials VooDooHatsfinished012.jpg

My wife bought some skull beads similar to what you've got on the top hat there, that she wants me to put in my beard.

Wonder if that would count as steam punk?

I hadn't planned on wearing them much, haha.

I find this topic very confusing, to someone just starting out. This is ok ....but its is really not. If you don't conform to some very narrow guidelines you are "period incorrect." as such deemed an outcast on this wire even if the rules allow it. To those I say THIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN A GAME. This whole game is period incorrect, the west was nothing like the movies, all that should be out. They were more than "cowboys" in the old west. if that is what you think CAS should be then get the rules changed. You have to be a cowboy, use only period guns, none of the .357's or Ruger weapons or any other gun that was not actually used in the old west by a cowboy proven through history records. costuming only by "approved makers" and only something that a cowboy wore. I was e-mailing another member about this very thing the inconsistent rules that are out there. He gave me some good advice, the GAME is suppose to be fun, safe and a good time. WE ARE NOT REENACTORS. Costuming should be 1800ish, It already cost an arm and a leg and maybe my first born just to get started in this game and now someone out there is going to tell me that all that money and time is lost because they don't think it is correct to their narrow mined thinking. START YOUR OWN VERSION. This wire IS NOT SASS and SASS is not this wire.

As long as it looks like it belongs in the 1800's via historical, or movies or TV series that should be ok, since that IS what we grew up with, that is in the rules. I say variety is the spice of life, and it is just interesting to look at.

I find this topic very confusing, to someone just starting out. This is ok ....but its is really not. If you don't conform to some very narrow guidelines you are "period incorrect." as such deemed an outcast on this wire even if the rules allow it. To those I say THIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN A GAME. This whole game is period incorrect, the west was nothing like the movies, all that should be out. They were more than "cowboys" in the old west. if that is what you think CAS should be then get the rules changed. You have to be a cowboy, use only period guns, none of the .357's or Ruger weapons or any other gun that was not actually used in the old west by a cowboy proven through history records. costuming only by "approved makers" and only something that a cowboy wore. I was e-mailing another member about this very thing the inconsistent rules that are out there. He gave me some good advice, the GAME is suppose to be fun, safe and a good time. WE ARE NOT REENACTORS. Costuming should be 1800ish, It already cost an arm and a leg and maybe my first born just to get started in this game and now someone out there is going to tell me that all that money and time is lost because they don't think it is correct to their narrow mined thinking. START YOUR OWN VERSION. This wire IS NOT SASS and SASS is not this wire.

As long as it looks like it belongs in the 1800's via historical, or movies or TV series that should be ok, since that IS what we grew up with, that is in the rules. I say variety is the spice of life, and it is just interesting to look at.

I have no idea what you're talking about Bill.

I'm sick and tired...yep...of people sayin the Wire ain't SASS, and SASS ain't the Wire.

Fact is...they are one in the same.

Sorry.

The only difference is that the Wire tends to allow folks to speak their mind a bit more freely. When you're at a match, most folks just want to shoot...and not get into long drawn out debates over a bunch of CAS minutia.

Cheers!!

Phantom

Just think of the books of Jules Vern & H.G. Wells & S.M. Stirling for the Minimalist to Moderate Fashion statement of Steampunk/topian look.

The Look is not all about Gears & Cogs sewn to ones Togs w/ no rhyme or reason, along w/ Goggles adorning ones Lid.

Peshwar Lancers, post!

. Period correct pajamas, but pajamas none the less.

You see, I was asleep in bed in my house on the edge of town and heard a comotion at the depot. I grabbed my guns, threw on my boots and went a runnin.

I gotta party with you.

Here's a journalist from 1902. Looks very SP to me.

Heck, I already have that outfit.

...and in case you missed it in the other thread,

http://www.gizmag.com/porsche-p1/30643/

What most of the Abe SImpson-style detractors in this thread seem to be missing is that popular entertainment changes, and the younger generations are currently enamored of "Steampunk" (although it's heyday might have already passed).

So, would you rather this shooting hobby grow grey and eventually wither, or would you rather attract young shooters who want to be James West for a day?

Hint: only one answer allows folks to share 'their version' of the Old West with younger shooters. Rhetorically, which do ya think it be? ;)

nb: Did we mention Roland of Gilead & his ilk yet?

I'm in the SASS Mounted, I use a STEAMPUNK style corset as well as skirts that are a cross between Victorian style and Steampunk, and according to the Match Director it was allowed in the guidelines. I am not sure if that helps what you had asked or not, but I figured I'd put my little 2 cents in.

P.S. I realize that this post is months old and this may have already been figured out, but thank for reading mine. :P

• 1 month later...

I have friends who are into it. The link with the outfits has an engineer outfit, which would kind of fit me but not my name. They do have a gunslinger outfit, too. Might have to try that one on for size.

Great Grimm episode! Too bad the Dragon fried the Ringmaster..Ah well,I am sure the writers will do something very interesting for the wedding.

• 4 weeks later...

Coyote Calhoun, Hipshot, and I all attended the Steampunk Convention at Old Tucson Studios a few years back. We set up a SASS Wax match to introduce steampunkers to our game. As a matter of fact, I'm considering organizing our attending again in 2015- it's about a week after Winter Range... It was sooo much fun- and the costuming was truly fantastic.

He (Coyote) wrote an article in The CC about our trip- that's probably what you remember...

Steampunk dress is acceptable in SASS- no, there's no steampunk category- and if you carry a zombie head in a jar as part of your steampunk costume, it probably wouldn't fly for long at a cowboy match...

We've had seminars on "Steampunk 101" at the Convention, and a few years ago we had a "Steampunk day" at EOT- where we encouraged participants to get their steampunk on- it was a fun addition.

It can be a lot of fun, and- with just the addition of a few accessories to your SASS clothes, your in... As I was told by experienced steampunkers - the first thing you have to have is a pair of goggles- because, "you don't want your eyeballs to pop out when your traveling through the space-time continuum!"

(Yep- I went straight away and bought my goggles!)

Misty

Archived