SASS Wire Forum

SASS Steampunk Outfits?

Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life

I didn't start this thread to start a fight. If you two, Slick and Skye, want to argue, please start your own thread about what is and isn't "B Western".

Thank you very much.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and by the way I think "steam punk " can be B-Western legal .

(1) "FELT" Derby hat

(2) Vest with steam punk accessories (sprockets , chains , watches .....)

(3) Jeans (non wrangler ;), LOL)

(4) spurs maybe brass looking with brass spotted leather straps.

(5) scarf or bolo with a sprocket like slide.

(6) white , black or brown snap closure shirt with piping or embroidery (maybe gears and pocket watches with chains embroidery )

(7) boots ( maybe two tone slip on earth walkers with brass conchos & straps with brass buckles up the side )

(8) belt with cool brass spots or some shiny silver or gold bling .

Think that should just about cover it :). This sport is about having fun right?

Love to see this when you get it together!

I'm sorry, I do not consider my and Slick's civil discussion about B Western and Steam Punk an argument or fighting, just our respective opinions, anymore than the opinion of others that think Steampunk is not Cowboy at all. Are we fighting, Slick? I really did not think we were, just hashing out some ideas that have been thrown about for a while now. I certainly did not take Slicks remarks for anything more than that. :wub:

Nope same here, just stating our options and opinions about both steam punk and BW. Making sure we're on the same page, I love my BW and I like SP so I thought of combining the two ;). Nevada and I are pals as with most everyone else in sass and we ALL intend to stay that way. Don't want to crowd your post rolan just stating views like everyone else so far :). Good luck to everyone no matter how you dress.

Your pal,

Slick

We had a couple of new shooters at our club last year, two brothers who dressed as 1880's Pinkerton Detectives, complete with period correct city suits, shoes, bowler hats, badges, etc. They looked pretty sharpe too.

EDITED: THIS THREAD IS MEANT TO DISCUSS ELEMENTS OF DRESS, NOT TO DISCUSS NEW CATEGORIES. PLAY NICE.

IF YOU WANT TO DISCUSS NEW CATEGORIES, START YOUR OWN THREAD.

I've become interested in the "Steampunk" genre for literature and for SASS costuming. I'm trying to put together an outfit, but it needs to be something that will work for a fat man. I yam what I yam.

I've got a couple of bowlers. I've got goggles, Spats on order, Eyeglass magnifiers, compasses, and other odd bits.

Just think of the books of Jules Vern & H.G. Wells & S.M. Stirling for the Minimalist to Moderate Fashion statement of Steampunk/topian look.

The Look is not all about Gears & Cogs sewn to ones Togs w/ no rhyme or reason, along w/ Goggles adorning ones Lid.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it is time to put this thread out of its misery????????????

WHY?

Have you a Problem w/ those that wish to portray Alternate History Western Universe of the likes of "The Wild Wild West" or Jules Verne or H.G. Wells. or S.M. Sterling, etc., for some reason?

Once again, the Minimalist to Moderate Fashion statement of Steampunk/topian look.

The Look is not all about Gears & Cogs sewn to ones Togs w/ no rhyme or reason, along w/ Goggles adorning ones Lid.

Maybe it is time to put this thread out of its misery????????????

Are we inconveniencing you? You don't have to read this thread, and you don't have to involve yourself in this discussion about costuming.

All you have to do is scroll over to the next topic.

The only misery seems to be in the minds of those who have issues with other folks having fun . . . .

You don't have to tell other cowboys and cowgirls what they can talk about and what clothing ideas they can discuss....

You can just walk away . . . .

Shadow Catcher

One more outburst and I'll clear the courtroom! :lol: :lol:

Late 50's to early 60's was about the end of commonly used steam locomotives in the US. A handful were still in use in China at least two years ago. I think diesel locomotives were in limited use at least as early as the mid-20's here, and small yard switch locos may have been in use a decade earlier.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=933_1350879752

Iva Gunn all "Steampunked" for Guns of Autumn!

<snip the picture since having never posted a picture I've already exceeded my limit>

Rolan shooting in his Steampunk Derby.

Nice ..... Love the look!!!

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Here's a journalist from 1902. Looks very SP to me.

attachment.php?attachmentid=65229&stc=1&d=1382192464

Heck, I already have that outfit.

That would so fit Wild Bunch matches!! She could also chase Phil Marlowe...or welcome home a doughboy...

• 2 months later...

Well I got the gun...started life as a NewVaq357. Now it's the world's only magazine-fed, auto-shell-ejecting SA wheelgun. Six shot cylinder, choice (so far) of 2rd or 9rd mags. Either will top off the cylinder's contents (9mmPara) so I can get 7rds out of the holster with the short "carry mag" or 14 if I stack a 9 on top of 5. One option is to set it up with 14, then on reload drop a single round in ahead of the next 9rd mag for 24 total with just one reload - enough to run an entire SASS stage with a single reload on the fly at near-semiauto reload speeds.

The shell ejector system involves a two-stage loading gate. First shot puts an empty chamber in the auto-eject position, so that first gas pulse is "dry" and forces the upper stage of the loading gate open if it didn't open on draw as it usually does. Second shot gas-ejects the empty shell from the first shot, and so on.

Totally unique feed cycle in personal arms, so far as I know. And a definite case of "accidental steampunk".

Proof it works (yes, bad video) and pics at:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511297

Probably the most insanely tacticool SA ever brewed up.

I think the name of the game is HAVE SOME FUN, and Steampunk is fun. I think some of it can be worked into a costume, and still be fully within the rules.

+++100

So... I'm new here, but I've been trying to think of ways to get my wife interested in this also...

Since somebody dug this thread up and I read half of it before I realized it was an old thread, it got me thinking.

Now, I read the shooters handbook again, and I didn't see anything for womens costumes that would make these outfits "illegal" but, I'm new.

So, here's an image that turns up when you google "steampunk cowgirl." And again, based on my interpretation of the printed rules, I think it's legal for women. Might be a bit harder as a dude but...

40bf3e1bf2fb65de44cf0d053305dc5c.jpg

Archived