SASS Wire Forum

SASS Steampunk Outfits?

Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

And some folks were whining that shooters were dressing like rodeo cowboys...

I think that pants, vests, and a derby or top hat are A-okay! Goggles must be worn at all times!

The ladies are always welcome to dress like 1,000,000 BC

Fantasy novels, Jules Vern, and Moby Dick were around in earlier times... But I dont see the connection to Lonesome Dove.

And there are numerous movies and tales of shopkeepers and townies who take on the bad guys... ;)

I disagree that Wild Wild West was anything Steam Punk. It was a TV version of a James Bond thing in a western setting!

Maybe it's time for the big tent types to just admit that when they got involved they didn't realize it was "COWBOY" action shooting or in a polically correct vein it's time to be all inclusive. I reckon Peter Pan coulda been a "lost boy" action shooter...

Reckon it's all good but it isn't all cowboy. I can see it now... Cowboys in tights!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks fo the info SC. I admit i am ignorant as to Steampunk costuming. I do not see myself ( or anyone i shoot with monthly) to "cross over" into Steam Punk.

:D Be the first! Start a Fashion! :D

I bet I never hear the people complaining that Steampunk will lead to shooting in shorts and baseball caps saying the ladies in their leather corsets should not be allowed!!!

The gentleman who started this said he wasnt looking to start a new catagory he was looking for advice. Some of you just slam the idea of steampunk becouse YOU don't think it's "cowboy" enough for you. Well I seen some "top" shooters who wear just enough cowboy stuff to be legal. The people that dress steampunk dress to the nines and dressing more Victorian attire and they aren't looking for a advantage to shoot faster the just want to step out of the box of what everyone else is wearing. How many Wyatt Earp or John Waynes can you have at one match. I've been into steampunk for about 5 years and love it. I think of it as Victorian sci-fi. today technology with yesterdays craftmanship.

I as recall, there was a "Steampunk Day" at ETO one year........I still have my goggles! There were some Steampunkers there sharing information about the hobby. It was actually pretty cool, IMHO. :)

Lighten up, have some fun, and eat off the good china while you can. ;)

SHooters Handbook - "Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series"

Steampunk doesn't qualify in any way and has no place at a COWBOY action shooting match.

I'm with the Wild Wild West group!! As stated, it IS 1800s modes of dress and, as far as I can read in the rulebooks, it is perfectly acceptable in our game. Most people who found themselves "cowboying" for a living were not known to have much disposable income and wore a lot of clothing that did NOT look like what some feel is "proper cowboy" atire! Come to think of it, Gene Barry and Richard Boone both bordered on Steampunk in many scenes from their respective series. Bat Masterson and Paladin in Have Gun. Will Travel were very dapper dressers, and Masterson's cane was used much as you would expect from a steamer. All of the gimmicks that Jim West and Artie Gordon used in their scenes were absolutely STEAMPUNK!!

Wot?? :lol:

Uncle Bobby!! Youza true Steampunk sho-nuff spiffy lookin' Steampunk specimine!!! :o;):lol:

Folks who automatically rule something out just because it's new or different remind me of a story I heard years ago.

Two cowboys were on their way to a shoot when they passed a magnificent new church, with a rather large sanctuary, gym, pre-school and the like. Tex turns to Dusty and says, "You know, that sanctuary can seat two thousand people!" Dusty ponders that thought a minute and replies, "Yeah, and if their a$$es were as narrow as their minds, it'd seat six thousand!"

Let's not close our minds to something just because it's new or different. If we had done that a few years ago, there would be no Wild Bunch category.

Uncle Bobby!! Youza true Steampunk sho-nuff spiffy lookin' Steampunk specimine!!! :o;):lol:

You ain't seen nuthin yet.

I don't think I'd ever shoot like that but it's kind fun to mess around with. :lol:

Folks who automatically rule something out just because it's new or different remind me of a story I heard years ago.

Two cowboys were on their way to a shoot when they passed a magnificent new church, with a rather large sanctuary, gym, pre-school and the like. Tex turns to Dusty and says, "You know, that sanctuary can seat two thousand people!" Dusty ponders that thought a minute and replies, "Yeah, and if their a$$es were as narrow as their minds, it'd seat six thousand!"

Let's not close our minds to something just because it's new or different. If we had done that a few years ago, there would be no Wild Bunch category.

:lol: Good one, Bama! :lol:

All this talk bout Steam Punk makes me want to try it ! I think i mite try the pilot in mel gibsons Madd Max. !??!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::ph34r::lol::lol::lol:

It is period correct. I think I'll look silly, but I'll wait to see what the other guys say.

Is this worn with or wothout pants?

(For the record, I'm OK with a slightly steamy look. You can wear welder goggles, but the guns should not be too modified.)

Check this bodice out. It is from 1888. It looks like Star Trek or Steampunk costuming inspiration.

SHooters Handbook - "Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series"

Steampunk doesn't qualify in any way and has no place at a COWBOY action shooting match.

The Original "Steampunk" look was débuted in the series :The Wild, Wild West" which is another source of our ideas for CAS. Remember to keep an open mind, or you will accused of having a mind like a steel trap.....closed.

I agree with Missouri Marshal.....and I don't

As the manual says "typical of the late 19th century, a B-Western movie, or Western television series" .....

and Steampunk is hardly typical, even in the Wild Wild West. The typical costuming was standard western with the occasional weird outfit.

But I would hate to see it become typical at a SASS match. Other shooters think we're weird enough already. ;)

And yet it intrigues me.

So conflicted. :D:huh:

I really like the steam-punk look and so far I haven't heard a cowboy complain of my leather corsets either.

Yeah, this thread is worthless without pictures!

Yeah, this thread is worthless without pictures!

+10

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, October 1, 2013 - Pot Stirring Post 1
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, October 1, 2013 - Pot Stirring Post 1

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but I don't think you're on the rules committee, so you'll understand if I treat it as just that - your opinion.

The Chronicle carried a wonderful article on Steampunk costumes at a recent match ( a year or so ago) and it is catching on with those

who love the recent cowboy/steampunk crossovers such as Wild Wild West, Brisco County, and the like.

Those of us who are having fun playing at CAS and staying within the spirit of the game, and even going over the top in costuming, really

feel that we don't need anyone's approval, just tolerance. Given how sacred an issue costuming is to some, I should think this would be manna from heaven . . .

If you really feel it is your duty to tell us no, that's an issue you need to look inside about, and find guidance in resolving.

For me - it's goggle on - and full steam ahead!

SC

It won't be long and I'll get to marry my pet goat and call her my wife. I can't wait, I love her so!!

U go El Burro!! +1.

I even saw few natl and multiple state champs sportin derby hats, top hats, goggles and long coats befofe the match only. Lookd ok just little surprised at regional match & wb state

match. Many vendors selling steam punks gear esp hats, goggle , long gloves. Coats etc. mmWill hav to c how plays out over time.

No body listens to me) it would b nice to add SP cat at few clubs snd if any interest devalops. Ya never know what mite happen !

Didn't they do a write up in the Chronicle about Steampunk? If they did...if my memory is correct...that would pretty much indicate that the "Style" is okay with the WB.

Phantom

I remember that article too, written by Texas Flower after she attended a Steampunk seminar at the 2011 SASS Convention.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, October 1, 2013 - Pretty insulting and not on topic.
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, October 1, 2013 - Pretty insulting and not on topic.

We tend to be fairly family friendly around here, although admittedly on the wire folks will flame a little faster, over

in the saloon we just josh a bit and are more likely to just get along.

What is a universal truth though is that in almost any forum you will stumble across someone who just can't deal with

anything outside their parochial and narrow world view.

It takes a special sort to sink into depictions of moral depravity just to protest other people having fun, or perhaps you're

just being a wit (in which case you have half succeeded), but in any event, you obviously have very little useful to contribute

to the folks here who are discussing this topic, and either making a case for or against it.

I truly hope you're a better person than you portray yourself to be.

SC

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, October 1, 2013 - Pot Stirrer Post 2
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, October 1, 2013 - Pot Stirrer Post 2

I'm sorry that you seem so narrow minded as to dismiss us that love our goats as moral depravity . After all, can anyone tell me that my goat doesn't love me? You really need to examine your inner self, to hopefully include those that differ from your point of view. I encourage you to keep trying. With some hard work, you'll get there.

By the way, I am a great guy. Just ask my goat - my future bride, she loves me!

Hey Rolan,

How about Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly:

malcolm.jpg

His "brown coat" from the war that he wore throughout the series was pretty neat as well:

malcolm2.jpg

Talking with the wife, this may have to be the next outfit I put together, myself.

Archived