SASS Wire Forum

SASS Steampunk Outfits?

Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slick, you know better than to question something on the forum.

All I can say is Bring it On, not sure why a B-Western shooter would even care at this point. :D

Think of Steampunk as:

Victorian dress with a 'gothic' and 'Jules Vern' influence. It can easily fit into SASS and I and Deja have done so easily. If you concentrate on the little things like cool brassy gadgets you can be steampunk.....

Also look at the movie "Cowboys and liens" for some examples..... I have one of the wrist weapons as well as one I made that can 'tickle' you with a vibrator....

It's fun to be a bit different......

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

You know, I still haven't seen cowboys and aliens....

But seriously, I believe that there are already more than enough categories, you don't need another costume category to segregate the Steampunk shooters in. They can shoot in one of the 52 current age-based or shooting style categories that we have now. Heck, done right, they might even be able to qualify in B-Western and/or Classic Cowboy.

However, Steampunk might be a nice addition to the categories for costume contests. Match directors, you could even offer the costume category without it being included in the costume contest rule book!

I know my wife giggles when she wins an award for best "special" or "soild dove" costume when she goes all out steampunk. They aren't really sure what costume category to put her in. Then again, she is special and does tend to defy any and all ways you might try to categorize her... :P:wub:

Mebbe have a new category....Punk Western....P Western. You could incorporate anything Steampunk and other kinda "punk" you could come up with. Mebbe allow tennis shoes, ball caps, Wrangler jean (WITH braces of course ;) ), mandatory Jherri curl hair or blowout cuts. Guns have to be shot gangsta style, allow adjustable sights to be installed on the side of the revolver, starting lines would have to be something disco or punk related. Hmmmmm

Boy, talk about "Thread drift". I never said anything about a new category. I plan on just being a "Cowboy" or a "49'er". I just wanted to "Steampunk it up" a little... or a LOT.

Mebbe have a new category....Punk Western....P Western. You could incorporate anything Steampunk and other kinda "punk" you could come up with. Mebbe allow tennis shoes, ball caps, Wrangler jean (WITH braces of course ;) ), mandatory Jherri curl hair or blowout cuts. Guns have to be shot gangsta style, allow adjustable sights to be installed on the side of the revolver, starting lines would have to be something disco or punk related. Hmmmmm

Good idea!! then the cherry pickers have another catagory to pick from.. 2--10 more awards at the awards to endure . Don't forget that denim should/will be allowed,,,, booties, logo's on shirts.... no/yes hat,,, rolled up/short sleeved,, or not,,, allowed,,,,,don't worry about 'click' on first shot from pistol(s).

Yep!!

Good idea!! then the cherry pickers have another catagory to pick from.. 2--10 more awards at the awards to endure . Don't forget that denim should/will be allowed,,,, booties, logo's on shirts.... no/yes hat,,, rolled up/short sleeved,, or not,,, allowed,,,,,don't worry about 'click' on first shot from pistol(s).

Yep!!

:lol::lol::lol:

You know, I still haven't seen cowboys and aliens....

But seriously, I believe that there are already more than enough categories, you don't need another costume category to segregate the Steampunk shooters in. They can shoot in one of the 52 current age-based or shooting style categories that we have now. Heck, done right, they might even be able to qualify in B-Western and/or Classic Cowboy.

However, Steampunk might be a nice addition to the categories for costume contests. Match directors, you could even offer the costume category without it being included in the costume contest rule book!

I know my wife giggles when she wins an award for best "special" or "soild dove" costume when she goes all out steampunk. They aren't really sure what costume category to put her in. Then again, she is special and does tend to defy any and all ways you might try to categorize her... :P:wub:

The thing I want to work on when I get back stateside's is to take a few BP Colts, probably '51's, and a shotgun and rifle and braze on some Steampunk tubes and muzzle blunderbuss fittings, and doo-dad's to make them look Steampunk but still functional. There should be a way to do it, just need to ponder it a bit more before I take to the torch!

SC

The thing I want to work on when I get back stateside's is to take a few BP Colts, probably '51's, and a shotgun and rifle and braze on some Steampunk tubes and muzzle blunderbuss fittings, and doo-dad's to make them look Steampunk but still functional. There should be a way to do it, just need to ponder it a bit more before I take to the torch!

SC

Just be sure that any external modifications fall within the firearm covenants! :ph34r::ph34r: :ph34r:

Just be sure that any external modifications fall within the firearm covenants! :ph34r::ph34r: :ph34r:

I can safely say that it would never occur to me to do otherwise . . . but I'll re-read them before I cut metal! ;)

SC

I never even heard the word "steampunk" till about a year ago & didn't have a clue to what it was. I now think of it as dude, or city slicker attire. Contrary to what the westerns channel calls it a "dude" referred to somebody from back east and completely unaware of western dress & customs. Remember in some westerns the "dude" getting off the stage or train and the local cowboys would start laughing at him & hoorawing him, maybe making him dance by shooting at his feet?

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I'm still undecided about the SASS Steampunk connection. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But I absolutely DO NOT WANT non-authentic looking (unheard of, wierd-looking) weapons used in our matches.

Hell, when I was a kid I watched the Wild Wild West every chance I got.

I kind of categorized it as a TV Western, while knowing their gimmicks were really just bull shi*.

My opinion only,

Mustang Gregg

PS I liked it so much I named my gun shop Wild West Arms. B)

I'm still undecided about the SASS Steampunk connection. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But I absolutely DO NOT WANT non-authentic looking (unheard of, wierd-looking) weapons used in our matches.

Hell, when I was a kid I watched the Wild Wild West every chance I got.

I kind of categorized it as a TV Western, while knowing their gimmicks were really just bull shi*.

My opinion only,

Mustang Gregg

PS I liked it so much I named my gun shop Wild West Arms. B)

Not even one of these: http://www.drgrordborts.com/products/the-righteous-bison-indivisible-particle-smasher/ ??

Okay - what if it looked like this: http://www.steampunkemporium.com/store/004133S.php

Ah well . . .

SC

Shadow Catcher:

Good ones! hehehehehehe

But I reckon the Henry Big Boy is weird enough for me. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm actually surprised that no one has said anything about my Rugers with RED WHITE & Blue grips.

Mustang

The movie Dead Man has about the best I have seen, pretty dark movie but the dress is good. Got nothing aginst it.

Slick, I got your back brother.

We've had several couples show up at monthlies dressed "Steampunk". They put a lot of effort into their outfits and really looked good. Not sure just what it had to do with "Cowboy" though.

Then again this is a "Fantasy Game". Isn't it?

One of our shooters put together a steampunk styled outfit this year. The winged ornament on his lapel is a winged pin he picked up somewhere that has a small clock work or mechanical watch as the center piece. Rivets on the belt buckle, magnifier glasses, leather top hat with a couple tiny bottles of mercury and "gold dust" tucked into the hatband as well as a few cartridges, mirrored safety glasses, etc. I don't know where he came up with the boots, but they're perfect for the outfit.

JINKSsteampunk_zps3daffde8.jpg

Boy oh boy, between the costume police and the naysayers (not to mention the Tex bashing) no wonder people stay away from the Wire! C'mon guys, learn to be just a little tolerant, ok? Just because it ain't 'cowboy' don't mean it ain't SASS!!! There were townies, shopkeepers, railroad men, soiled doves...the list goes on and on. I have seen some truly WONDERFUL outfits of the military 1800's early 1900's genre and those certainly aren't cowboy so get a grip, ok?

I actually took the time to peruse the links offered...hmmm, some of that steampunk stuff has...possibilities as Mr. Spock would say. I really liked the goggles section in one website I looked at and some of those glasses and hats...wow! There was a selection of clothing that was really cool and...hey...I just had a thought...... :wacko:

. :huh:

. ^_^

. :o

. :P

Artemis Gordon, steampunk meets Mr. Spock....I mean after all, who says there weren't Vulcans in the 1800's??? :lol::lol::lol:

As is often said, nothing new under the sun Allie!! I think steampunk is fun, and to me just looks like over the top Victorian with a little leather thrown in, and some imaginative accessories. Now, if I could only come up with Steampunk B Western........................... :lol:

SHooters Handbook - "Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series"

Steampunk doesn't qualify in any way and has no place at a COWBOY action shooting match.

My opinion as well. Yea it may be cool and fun but, somehow I don't think a cowboy match is the place to look like a cartoon character. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang we go.

I have a basic revulsion with anything having to do with "punks" and simply find it hard to visualize punks in SASS. Remember Dirty Harry? "Do you feel lucky, punk?" The picture in Post #40 looks more like an ad for a Holloween costume store rather than suitable SASS attire. But, live and learn. Once we get to baggy shorts, wearing baseball hats backwards and shooting our guns sideways we may have to come up with a new name for SASS and might have to add a few new categories.

As is often said, nothing new under the sun Allie!! I think steampunk is fun, and to me just looks like over the top Victorian with a little leather thrown in, and some imaginative accessories. Now, if I could only come up with Steampunk B Western........................... :lol:

+1

The only think new about this is the name, "Steampunk".

The late 19th century science fiction writers like Jules Vern, H.G. Wells, and even Sir Arthur Conan Doyle of Sherlock Holmes fame had illustrators that depicted this Victorian era look and there have been devotees even then that emulated the style. it may not be cowboy but it certainly is 1800's in origin.

I have seen a handful of references to Steam Punk originally referring alternately to the "Whistle Punk" or the "Donkey Puncher/Donkey Punk" in early logging operations. The Donkey Puncher was the man who tended the steam donkey, which was the small skid mounted steam engine used to pull felled logs to the yard. The Whistle Punk normally was a younger boy who was stationed in a spot close to where the trees were felled and after the log was secured and ready to skid, pulled on a long lanyard rigged to a steam whistle that let the Donkey Puncher know it was ready to be skidded to the yard. How the word came to describe steam-era science fiction, I don't know, and perhaps there is no connection at all.

I have seen a handful of references to Steam Punk originally referring alternately to the "Whistle Punk" or the "Donkey Puncher/Donkey Punk" in early logging operations. The Donkey Puncher was the man who tended the steam donkey, which was the small skid mounted steam engine used to pull felled logs to the yard. The Whistle Punk normally was a younger boy who was stationed in a spot close to where the trees were felled and after the log was secured and ready to skid, pulled on a long lanyard rigged to a steam whistle that let the Donkey Puncher know it was ready to be skidded to the yard. How the word came to describe steam-era science fiction, I don't know, and perhaps there is no connection at all.

While I always take Wiki with a large grain of salt - most of this does ring true with other things I know: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk

Enjoy - Viva la difference . . . .

SC

I can safely say that it would never occur to me to do otherwise . . . but I'll re-read them before I cut metal! ;)

SC

I for one can't wait to see pictures!!!

Steam on!!

Absolutely!!

Question? Was the hat Billy was wearing in the famous "left handed gun" tintype considered Steampunk ?

Could be - if the rest of the outfit was . . or if it was dressed up a bit - perhaps with a set of aviators goggles, or some appropriate steamtype brass sparklies . . .

Justice Potter Stewart said it best (and I paraphrase) when he said "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it". The problem with defining it is that it is not

an easily pigeon holed style, there are at least six major groupings of costume style, and degrees of involvement in the art form.

There are Military types, Aeronaut sky pilot (and pirate) types, post apocalyptic cowboy types (see firefly), mad scientist/ monster hunter types, and a few more as well . . .

It's as open as the whole Hollywood cowboy thing we have here is SASS.

SC

Archived