SASS Wire Forum

when is a mind no longer a great mind?

Trigger Mike

CNN keeps advertising on their web site a show called crossfire starring 4 people, 2 liberal and 2 conservative and says that "sometimes great minds do not think alike". If a mind is great and is right and another "great" mind disagrees, and is wrong on their views, how can their mind truly be great? How can a wrong thinking mind really be a great mind unless it is greatly wrong? Is the show aired on the premise that facts are merely dependent on the expresser and not on reality? If that is so, then it is not a great mind, but a deceived or delusional mind.

So you are saying that, if Utah Bob has a great mind, and Utah Bob likes college sports, and I agree with Utah Bob on EVERYTHING, except college sports (which I consider a totally useless waste of time, money and energy), then I do NOT have a great mind, simply because I do not agree with him about sports?

I agree with him about gun control, foreign policy, who should be in the White House, what we should do about welfare, what we should do about illegal aliens, and the best way to display old military helmets. I agree with him about EVERYTHING, except sports, so I don't have a great mind?

I believe your premise is flawed.

My mind is now hurting more......

CNN keeps advertising on their web site a show called crossfire starring 4 people, 2 liberal and 2 conservative and says that "sometimes great minds do not think alike". If a mind is great and is right and another "great" mind disagrees, and is wrong on their views, how can their mind truly be great? How can a wrong thinking mind really be a great mind unless it is greatly wrong? Is the show aired on the premise that facts are merely dependent on the expresser and not on reality? If that is so, then it is not a great mind, but a deceived or delusional mind.

Because being a great mind involves having a lot of information at your access, and using it to think in complex and innovative ways. It entails thinking new thoughts and developing new ways of approaching a problem, hopefully to derive solutions to them. It hopefully includes being able to take complex and important concepts and break them down into understandable ideas for others to comprehend.

It does not always mean you get it right, your conclusions can be as wrong as anyone's, it just means you work with a lot of information and cognitive ability.

my $0.02 worth on that one . . . .

SC

p.s. - it should also be noted that TV stations are not the best source of truth, and shows that are described as having "great minds" might have mediocre minds that are still

"greater" than either the commentator or the audience.

A great mind is possesed by anyone that agrees with me!

So you are saying that, if Utah Bob has a great mind, and Utah Bob likes college sports, and I agree with Utah Bob on EVERYTHING, except college sports (which I consider a totally useless waste of time, money and energy), then I do NOT have a great mind, simply because I do not agree with him about sports?

I agree with him about gun control, foreign policy, who should be in the White House, what we should do about welfare, what we should do about illegal aliens, and the best way to display old military helmets. I agree with him about EVERYTHING, except sports, so I don't have a great mind?

I believe your premise is flawed.

I guess you can still have a great mind and not be interested in sports, BUT you can not have a great sports mind and not be interested in sports, AND if you have a great mind but do not care for sports one way or another (like me) then I suppose your great mind is not well rounded like Utah's.

Because being a great mind involves having a lot of information at your access, and using it to think in complex and innovative ways. It entails thinking new thoughts and developing new ways of approaching a problem, hopefully to derive solutions to them. It hopefully includes being able to take complex and important concepts and break them down into understandable ideas for others to comprehend.

It does not always mean you get it right, your conclusions can be as wrong as anyone's, it just means you work with a lot of information and cognitive ability.

my $0.02 worth on that one . . . .

SC

p.s. - it should also be noted that TV stations are not the best source of truth, and shows that are described as having "great minds" might have mediocre minds that are still

"greater" than either the commentator or the audience.

SO my 8 year old son who thinks it is a good idea to take a small twig and try to think of new ways to use it like using as a rope or stair to climb onto his fort or wear roller skates in a laundry basket as a new way to ride down the stair hand rail has a great mind because he thinks of new ways to do things? He has an unrealistic view of the world at this point, thus to me he lacks a great mind. To me a great mind not only properly uses resources around them, but draws the right conclusions with those resources. I figure most people on TV are there because they lack a great mind and are only good at pretending to have one.

I disagree.

Then, by my definition, you do not have a great mind!

One great mind that I know of will cease to be great when I become too senile to tie my own socks, put my shirt on with those knobby things that got through the holes on the out inside, and forget what's 'er name's name.

But I'll still be gorgeous.

Used to be a song back when I was a kid that had a line in it "oh, the chicken is a bird".

Sure would like to hear it it again one more time before I die. I figure it's scarce enough I could live dang near forever waiting for it. :D

I have a great mind to stop reading your posts. Can't we get back to discussing chickens?

;)

speaking of chickens, IT IS NOT true that hens crow like a rooster. My rooster got ate by an owl (best I can tell) but my hen still does not crow. She cackles when she lays an egg, but no crowing, though there are lots of crows, but they don't crow either. :lol:

Archived