SASS Wire Forum

Hey Chickasaw Bill

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Came from Arkansas! Where is that?

:blink:

Yep, lottsa damage. I expect it will spread unless they can find a market for the meat. I see in the vid that

they say it taste good. Not sure about that, since it is carp. But what do I know.

With steelhead fishing in decline, some knuckle head will probably want to plant them in the Western rivers.

BMC

there were some that escaped from the fish farms down south , during flooding

but they were used in fish farming all over the south ,

the city and Fish & Game also put the grass carp in lots of the smaller city lakes , that fed into bigger waters

BUT , what do I know , the F&G biologist that did that , also said , we are putting the spoonbill cats (paddlefish)

into Beaver Lake for STORAGE :wacko:

CB

Well it turned COLD at nite , down here , Have not looked at the temp yet this AM

down close to 40 yesterday am , maybe this will settle the lake down some

BTW , I do not remenber , who was asking about pack rods , , But , there were a bunch of differant ones at Bass Pro , on the shelf

CB

Don't know what kind of pack rod you are talking about, but the four piece fly rod is about all that they make anymore. I prefer the two piece but that is just me. I have a 4 piece rod that I have been thinking of trading for a 6 wt.

BMC

a couple of weeks? , back I was involved in a discussion about packable fly rods , SEEMS to me it was here but ya know I can get CORNFUSED at times :P

I will get so many things going , I forget whom was in the conversation .

still gotta get the one found to put in the big truck :unsure:

CB :lol:

Sage makes a nice one for $700.00. :lol:

I am looking at the Response in a 6 wt, but that is still $400.00. :(

If I can get my price on the 5wt LL maybe I will get it.

I need another fly rod like I need another hole in my head. :blink:

BMC

I looked at a 1/2 wt rod a Bass Pro , yesterday , they did not have a fly line for it , wanted $170 for the bare rod

I figure , I could build one out of a UL spinning rod blank , pretty easy

I think a good sized bluegill could turn it inside out :o

like , I need another rod also , I did see a real neat shad fly

may fool with attempting to tye it , looked to be a mylar tube body with an epoxy finish

CB

Small stream, 2 or 3, large stream 3 or 4?

I have a little 2 wt that is the cats whiskers for small streams. The problem with small

steams is that they seldom hold fish, but rather rocks and boulders, or else the WDFW

has them closed down for spawning purposes.

Of course one can always fish the shallows of larger lakes and rivers with one. :)

BMC

small stream rod , MAYBE 40 ft casts , for the most part ,

I have a 6 6 Fenwick , and a 5 9 ish 3 wt , that I carry most of the time while on thin waters

Maybe , I need to think of something a bit heaveyer , to throw Zonkers and such for small mouth bass

a 6 ft 5/6 wt ? Triangle taper , floating line ?

CB :huh:

Well, there are a bizillion lines on the market. Rio is making the high end ones that

are all the rage out here. Most are spey lines for the big non-existent steelhead

or the spawning salmon. If you can believe the hype they are good casting lines.

The Gold and Grand tapers are the favored ones. But both are $75.00 lines.

Thankfully I have all good lines. But I did pay a price for all of them. Probably the

price of a good cowboy gun.

I do not fish for bass all that much, but I would suspect that a good floater in say

five or six wt and with a five foot fluorocarbon leader and a bushy marabou fly might

work for the bass. Maybe something in a green or chartruse and black.

For smallies, I would fish no less than a 5 wt, but for any bass in general I would think a

6 or 7 wt would be in order.

I would like a full floater or a sink tip line with the above leader/fly arrangement.

Rod length is a matter of choice. Mine are all in the 9 ft. length range, but I am a

trout fisher. For Bass/pike and others, I might drop down to an 8 ft or even a 7'6".

BMC

I could not find the rod I was looking for , But , I found 3 more NEW breakdown sets I had put away :lol:

1 of them is a Diwia Minicast spinning outfit , Never been out of the carrying box

wonder what else , I am going to find hidden :blink:

I am going to have to order some snake guides to finish the stream rod , will probley get a differant reel seat also

CB

BMC

I am needing to spend some time at the vice also , I discovered the girls :wub: , had moved a lot of stuff out of the house ,

put it in the shops , without it being sealed up well , as in an OPEN box , will have to redo them :blink:

good thing , I am not doing as much fly fishing as I used too .

ya gotta keep BUSY , have fun today

CB :lol:

Tied up a brown woolie with a brass bead. Looks to be a killer.

Size 6 hook. So far, it and the purple ones look the best to me,

But, and there is always that pesky but, I am not a fish.

Plan to fish them all to see what works best.

After I tie a couple more of the brown, I will switch to

Purple and chartreuse. Or maybe yellow and white.

BMC

try yellow dyed grizzly tail and hackle , med yellow cheneal body , brass bead head ,

you can throw a couple of strands of christal flash in the tail

does a good job down here , will also wor* if done in dark olive

I did a couple up with Flash chenial , was a killer on the hatchery fish , at Roaring River

yellow and black , olive and black , seem to catch fish most everywhere , I have thrown them

BUT , the fish here , must be DUMB , as they will take a swipe at the stuff I tye :lol:

CB

I'm thinking the Purple and chartreuse. River fish seem to like it. Want to try it on the still water. Cast out and fast strip in.

A good fast action rod would be just the ticket for that, but I will try my Sage SLT to see of I can get the distance.

You ain't using my tail for nuthin!!! dyed or not.

I would have to agree with that, Grizz. BIG TIME.

:D

You should take up fly fishing. It is poetry for the soul.

Zen casting.

http://christopherrownes.com/zen.htm

BMC

that is a STRANGE color combo :o

but if it wor*s , what do I know

the stuff that will catch fish , is differant most everywhere , ya have to use , whatever get em to bite

I have also had em , take a poke at Purple and black

CB

Purple and Black work well also. They like the UV treated marabou flies for some reason. Fished in fast water to make the marabou work and the color seems to sing also. Most of the gear guys use a chartreuse corkie with purple tail. Fly fishers just tie it with a chartreuse chenille body and purple marabou tail. Both are effective.

I don't think my shoulder could take it. And I know my budget couldn't.

A nice soft action rod might do you shoulder some good, Grizz. Slow and easy exercise.

Donno about the budget. Some fly fishers are snobs about their equipment, but I suppose that

is true of any recreational endeavor. I know that I am proud of mine, but have nothing that is

exceptional. It just seems to sing in my hands. Same applies to firearms.

How about your wrist and fingers?

Man, you ARE a wreck...... :lol:

Yeah, pretty much. Worse after a long weekend road trip and cowboy match. Next time I just need to remember to get a new bottle of tylonol before I leave, dang truck stops charge a fortune for a tiny bottle.

Archived