SASS Wire Forum

Hey Chickasaw Bill

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Badger, do you go salmon fishin?

hey, CB

Yep I dew. Mz. Cupcake, but not in the rivers. I like my salmon saltwater bright and fresh.

Mostly gear fishing for them with a Lure Jensen Dodger and cut plug herring.

I dew fish for steelhead in the rivers, however. Both fly rod and gear.

Gear seem to work better but fly fishing is more funner.

Chickasaw, according to a fellow fisher on another forum, they have been in service for many years for salmon and trout in the rivers. I had never heard of them before my coffee fogged brain though it up this morning and I looked them up. Going to tie some #10 and #8 to try for trout in the lakes before they close. Want to get some UV marabou for the tails though.

BMC

there is a Family reunion , up aroung Grants Pass , or Coose Bay ,

I never went to it , BUT , Dad did a few times , before he passed over , He told someone that I tyed , so they ask him to have me tye some flys , for them .

I tyed em as best I could from the books , with what I had to make em with , Dad , did not tell me who they were for , so I will never konw , If they were used or if the cuaght fish :huh:

CB :lol:

BMC

I did up some BIG wolly buggers , think they were on a # 1 or 2 , Old English Bait hook ,

some streamers , some lead hour glass eye streamers

and some 4to 5 in rabbit fur , Zonker type strip flys

You would need at least a 9 wt , with a shooting head to throw em , over loaded my little 8 wt when wet

CB

BMC

thinkin on that it has been 15 yrs or better

I have modified some of the patterans to use here for White Bass and Stripped Bass

them critters can sure put a BEND in a rod , biggest stripper was just shy of 19 lbs

I was kinda glad , when that fight ended , my wrist hurt for 3 or 4 days after that

then I went after em again , lookin to do it again :wacko:

CB :lol:

Stripped bass? you mean them bass took their clothes off?

No, wait, they don't wear clothes, so if they strip, would that mean they took their skin off?

Maybe that's it, and ya like to catch 'em cuz they're almost ready to cook right out of the water.

Well a weighted fly on a high d line might work but it would be a painful exercise.

Need a tough leader also. No, a good spinning rod and reel or bait casting reel

with weight and a good leach on a stout hook. You want the big guys. Toothy critters.

Ah yes, the dancing spoon. Werks great for kings too. But only in the salt as far as I know.

Now that the salmon season is coming to an end, I rigged up my salmon rod. DOH!

Got the ironjaw rig ready but we need rain and water. Hey Grizz, send us some of that

you folks don't need.

It is still good to get out on the water and wet a line.
I wanted to go over on the Columbia and fish for walleye this

year but my wife's and my health didn't allow it. Maybe next year,

Good Lord willing.

BMC

that CLOSED season thing ya got up there just AIN'T right .

They close the put and take fisherys here , for the most part

the lakes are open all the time , it is best NOT to go on the weekends , it can get crowded

I did not fish much this year , gonna have to attempt to cure that

I need to gather some up to take to , some folks , kinda payback for helping me .

Gotta sight in the X-bow , finaly put a red dot on it , to replace the broken front sight

CB

BMC

the WIN 209s are fine , I have been using Noble Sport 209s , I was able to get a couple K of them at a good price ,

the Noble Sport and the Cheddite primers are just a tad larger in dia. than Wins, and STS primers

there fore I seperate those hulls to use with those primers

CB

Archived