SASS Wire Forum

OK... Name Your Favorite Louis L'Amour Characters/ Novels if You Have Them

DocWard

As far as the L'Amour books, and characters ... my favorite?

All of 'em!

Hardpan, you've got a Ferguson repro?

(Grinning very broadly at that fine idea!)

I DO, Linn~! emo31.gif

I'll try to post a couple of pics tonight when I get home. emo1.gif

It's closer to carbine length than full rifle, but hey... it's purty neat. ^_^

My favorite is Hondo. I was reading it in my deer stand when three bucks jumped out in front of me. Took the biggest one. A nice 10 point. The Walking Drum is right behind it.

This is a September 2013 thread....I thought old Wire and Saloon threads perished after a fairly short time; I don't think I've ever seen an old one like this resurrected....

I see I even posted to it back then.

Being a long time LL fan, I clicked on this thread with the intention of posting something. Didn't even notice how old it was until I read a posting I had made under my old alias. I, too, thought the threads disappeared after a short time.

Old thread?

You mean every thread where I shoved my well polished Wellington between my pearly whites, it's still there?

Uh-oh ...

(as this terrible feeling of dread pours over my like cold Karo syrup I mean to use to make peanut brittle with!)

Not only do I have to contend with current mistaks -- mysteks -- mistaaks -- errors, now my old ones are coming to haunt me too!

Doooooooooooooommm ...

Well I got to tell ya , it has to be all the Sackett's. I had the great fortune of picking up the first Sackett book and that started my long journey through all of his books. It also sparked my love of reading books that continues today. Nothing better on a winter morning than a cup of coffee sitting in my easy chair reading a good book.

I can't possibly begin to pick a favorite character although Flint and Rafe Caradec definitely rank very high. All this thread has inspired me to do is go back to my Louis L'Amour book collection and try to figure out which one I'm going to reread next. Starting now.

The very first Louis L'Amour I ever read was Catlow. I picked it off the bookshelf in about fifth grade because the cover artwork was brilliant and very intriguing to a 10 year old. I was hooked. Still am.

Crossfire Trail and Rafe Covington. The man kept his word.

Excellent story, Crossfire trail. One of my favorite movies.

Rafe Covington in the movie, Rafe Caradec in the book. Not exactly the same story. I'd love to see it remade as the book told the story. I'm afraid Selleck is too old for the same part anymore though. When I think of the Covington or Caradec character, I see Selleck. :)

As far as the L'Amour books, and characters ... my favorite?

All of 'em!

Hardpan, you've got a Ferguson repro?

(Grinning very broadly at that fine idea!)

Okay, Linn... Here ya go! ^_^

Sassparilla Kid with the Ferguson...

100_5526_zpsnfsrnzjd.jpg

Open breech...

100_5530%20b_zpsd1f0z9tc.jpg

Crank trigger guard to lower "screw block"

100_5528_zpsvzfaorys.jpg

.615 (62 caliber) mold blocks. That's a big ol' galena marble! ^_^

FergieMold_zps2e60219b.jpg

Hondo

Recently picked up a book of L'Amour shorts titled "Monument Rock." Finally sat down to start reading it, and there is a multi-chapter Kilkenny story toward the back, after the events of the trilogy.

First two entries covered my favorite characters.

My favorite story is The Walking Drum.

Check the classifieds. I'm selling my collection of L'Amour books.

Let me add The Cherokee Trail and the Disney movie made from it. Both are excellent.

Archived