SASS Wire Forum

OK... Name Your Favorite Louis L'Amour Characters/ Novels if You Have Them

DocWard

Since I alluded to the subject on the Gunslingers thread, I thought I would go ahead and ask, for those of you who like Mr. L'Amour's works, who is your favorite character, and what is your favorite novel? I suppose that could be broken down to specify Sackett and non-Sackett characters and novels as well.

My favorite character would likely be Lance Kilkenny. I even thought of trying to figure out a Kilkenny alias when I started looking at CAS.

My favorite novel is more difficult. The three books in the Kilkenny series, The Rider of Lost Creek, The Mountain Valley War, & Kilkenny are among those at the top, along with Flint, which was mentioned in the Gunslingers thread.

As for the Sacketts, I would have to say my favorite character is Orrin Sackett (c'mon, he's a lawyer, who did you think I would pick?) Favorite book, The Daybreakers. I definitely liked the movie, The Sacketts, based on the book.

Favorite novel: The Walking Drum

Favorite character: Tyrel Sackett, followed closely by Shell Tucker.

Had Tyrel Sackett been available that would be my alias. I really wish Mr. L'Amour could have written the rest of the Walking Drum series.

I liked Jubal Sackett

Character...? How 'bout Ronan Chantry. (Can't help it... I gots a Ferguson replica! ^_^ )

As far as a favorite book, that'd be almost any of 'em other than The Iron Marshall. They all do follow a theme - hero is an honest, hard-working soul from humble beginnings; hero gets the bejeebers shot out of 'im; hero prevails and ends up with the gold and the girl. :rolleyes:

Character...? How 'bout Ronan Chantry. (Can't help it... I gots a Ferguson replica! ^_^ )

As far as a favorite book, that'd be almost any of 'em other than The Iron Marshall. They all do follow a theme - hero is an honest, hard-working soul from humble beginnings; hero gets the bejeebers shot out of 'im; hero prevails and ends up with the gold and the girl. :rolleyes:

You forgot a good fistfight or two.

I think my favorite is probably Rye Tyler, from To Tame a Land. Another young man taken under the wing of an old gunfighter, ala Flint and Riley's Luck. But instead of the gunfighter getting killed and the boy having to finish growing on his own, the gunfighter settles down with a wife, the boy finishes growing on his own, and then the boy and the gunfighter meet up in a showdown.

Guest Milo Talon SASS #23163

Milo Talon!! No, just kidding. Although it was a pretty good book and character. Really too many for me to list. Have read and reread most of his stuff for almost 50 years. Sounds funny, but he honestly helped shape my life as a teenager and young adult.

Really?

Uhmmm.... Really...???

Milo Talon!! No, just kidding. Although it was a pretty good book and character. Really too many for me to list. Have read and reread most of his stuff for almost 50 years. Sounds funny, but he honestly helped shape my life as a teenager and young adult.

Well, I am only at about 35 years or so, but I understand. He also helped me get an A on an assignment in high school chemistry, because I was able to explain prior to an experiment why water would boil in a paper cup without the cup burning. And I always got asked why I was wasting my time reading...

Pleased to meet you, Shocked. I'm Alpo.

:lol:

The Rider of Lost Creek for obvious reasons. :)

I caught that early on.

Cap Roundtree. Who better to play him in the movie than Ben Johnson

I can't think of anybody they could have cast who would have been better in the role.

Logan Sackett in Ride The Dark Trail:

Em turned from the stove: "I just fixed supper, you set down".

Logan: "Keep it warmed up. I'll be back. Those boys out there can spread it around. I want to see what they do when it's all gathered up"!

Hondo.

Chili Pepper Kid

I have most of Louis L'Amour's books and while the Sackett's are interesting, I always found the Chantry family to be the ones I identified the most with, hence my alias.

I have most of Louis L'Amour's books and while the Sackett's are interesting, I always found the Chantry family to be the ones I identified the most with, hence my alias.

Family? Wasn't there just the one? Otis Tom, the "horse thief's boy"?

edit: Nope. Brain fade. That was Chancy, not Chantry.

That's pretty tough. I guess I'd say Tell Sackett. As for my favorite book, guess I'd say the Sackett Brand. My dad had all of them, that was the first one I read. Got me hooked on Louis.

JHC

Family? Wasn't there just the one? Otis Tom, the "horse thief's boy"?

edit: Nope. Brain fade. That was Chancy, not Chantry.

I believe North to the Rails has Chantry's son coming back to the old west after being raised in the east after Borden Chantry was killed.

My favorite is hard. I started reading Louis L'Amour when the books were passed around on board ship. Bendigo Shafter or The Broken Gun are both good.

Favorite character, any of the Sackett's. Mess with one and they'll all come running.

BS

I'm a bit frustrated at the moment. I have searched my house high and low, and I can't find Flint. In my search, I did find another favorite, The Key-Lock Man.

• 2 years later...

I have read most, if not all of Louis Lamour's Novels and Short Stories. I really cant pick any one character which I can say is my favorite cause they all are. I am a native South African but each time I read the work of this great man, I feel like I was part of the old wild west.

As far as the L'Amour books, and characters ... my favorite?

All of 'em!

Hardpan, you've got a Ferguson repro?

(Grinning very broadly at that fine idea!)

Archived