SASS Wire Forum

Value of a Model 12

Red Cent

I don't think there was such a thing as a Model 12 solid frame, it is a model 25 and there are a bunch of them on Gunbroker. But then I'm no expert.

+1. I don't think the Model 12 was ever made in a solid frame. Looks like a model 25 to me, but then I am no expert either! :)

Grizz

You are right on the money. Winchester never made a solid frame Model 12.

Goatneck

The Model 25 is easy to tell apart from a 12, with the slide "action rod" being exposed in a cut at the front left side of the frame, rather than hidden totally within the frame like the 12. Made from 1949 to 1954 or so.

Since it is a "model" that was distinct from the 12, and not of the right time frame in its manufacturing, WBAS decided that it was not going to be allowed for WB matches when the Model 12 was approved. Also, if I remember right, it only holds 4 shells in the mag tube. And only about 88,000 of this lower cost variation were made, as opposed to millions of the Model 12. So, probably not a big loss to WB shooters.

As to it's value, I've seen some nice ones recently going for about $350. In other words, probably $200 less than a Model 12.

Good luck, GJ

I've seen a really nice M25 might bring approx $500 but a really nice M12 with the similar options could bring $700....so I'd say that GJ is spot on with regards to being $200 less than a M12 in similar condition.......and the Model 25 in your pics appears to be a very nice specimen to me.

The markings read: Winchester- Model 12 - Featherweight - 12 gauge - 2 3/4 cham

It is marked full and their is a number (184) to the right of Full.

The serial number is 179xxxxF

I just read an answer to my post on Shotgun World.

"...model 12 featherweight, made 59-62...take down is more like the 870 Remington as only the barrel comes off...".
They state it is a M25 marked as a M12. (Say what?) The barrel on mine is not straight into the receiver like the 25 but is shaped like M12 without the receiver extension.
They say VG condition would bring just shy of $500.00. Fair shape $350.00.
I must admit ignorance has cost me a hunnerd bucks or so. Live and learn.

Ok, then, this is the later variant, made 1959 to 1962, the Mod 12 Featherweight. Alloy trigger guard. A little over 122,000 made.

Here's a brief discussion of them: http://www.winchesterowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=497

It probably comes a little closer to the pricing on a standard model 12. And it should have the short magazine (4 shells only).

Good luck, GJ

Archived