SASS Wire Forum

What is SASS: Club or Business?

Captain Bill Burt

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SASS is a business and became such as soon as the SASS powers that be Franchised the first "club."

Things to remember; it's their business, their rules, we don't have to like it. We don't get to change the rules. If we don't like the foregoing, simple, go somewhere else. Oh ..... Wait ...... There is no where else.

Coffinmaker

Having read over these posts,

I see SASS as one of three things:

-A business to those who look to themselves.

-A club to those looking to others.

-Then there's the third group where all of this is simply an obsessive/compulsive disorder.

SASS is a business and became such as soon as the SASS powers that be Franchised the first "club."

Things to remember; it's their business, their rules, we don't have to like it. We don't get to change the rules. If we don't like the foregoing, simple, go somewhere else. Oh ..... Wait ...... There is no where else.

Coffinmaker

Oh contrare, 3 gun, IDPA, IPSC, High power, trap, skeet, silhouette, BPCR, etc. Lots of places to have fun with your guns. I currently spend most of my hobby time with CAS, primarily due to the camaraderie, but have just as much fun shooting the other disciplines.

Who cares?

Clearly the OP, that's me, thought it might be an interesting question to ask. Obviously you don't, so why not just move along.........guess you couldn't pass up the chance to make a snide remark.

I wonder if a person asked a question in a FTF meeting at a SASS match if you would respond by saying 'who cares'? If so I would probably label you as someone I didn't wish to associate with as I consider a response like that to be rude.

Thanks for your input it added a lot to the conversation. <_<

Hi Larsen,

Well, I guess Bill does as he started the thread. However, I'm not sure why it matters.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I asked the question because of all the costuming fuss on other threads that was getting personal. It seemed to me that the way some people responded to Tex's article and comments by JRB, was in part predicated on their view of the nature of SASS and our relationship to it. Obviously I know SASS is a business, but a relatively unique one that is certainly run in a unique manner. As a former Economist and Investment Banker I used to make my living analyzing businesses and their environment, and thought it might be interesting to continue the conversation, focusing on how we interact with SASS based on our views of it, and hopefully take some of the acrimony out of the conversation, maybe learn something. It seems a little more interesting to me than whether or not someone is wearing enough cowboy clothes.

If you don't see why it matters then perhaps it doesn't matter, or I didn't do a good job of expressing myself, or both.

I view SASS as a business and myself as a customer. I see SASS as the WB's property which they are free to administer in whichever way they see fit (including the Wire). Having said that I found it striking that a business owner would address his customers the way JRB did. It seems perfectly OK to say it's my ball and I'll play with it as I choose, but a bit odd to say if you don't want to pay your money and play the way I tell you too then there's something wrong with you. I was hoping to learn a little more about where SASS is going, the Mission Statement was interesting and I'm glad it was posted here. I also find it interesting that some people feel a sense of deference to the Wild Bunch that they surely wouldn't feel towards the CEO of Ford, or Coca-Cola, or any other company that provides a product/service they consume. It's hard for me to reconcile that feeling with the fact that SASS is a business out to make a profit.

Clearly the OP, that's me, thought it might be an interesting question to ask. Obviously you don't, so why not just move along.........guess you couldn't pass up the chance to make a snide remark.

I wonder if a person asked a question in a FTF meeting at a SASS match if you would respond by saying 'who cares'? If so I would probably label you as someone I didn't wish to associate with as I consider a response like that to be rude.

Thanks for your input it added a lot to the conversation. <_<

I asked the question because of all the costuming fuss on other threads that was getting personal. It seemed to me that the way some people responded to Tex's article and comments by JRB, was in part predicated on their view of the nature of SASS and our relationship to it. Obviously I know SASS is a business, but a relatively unique one that is certainly run in a unique manner. As a former Economist and Investment Banker I used to make my living analyzing businesses and their environment, and thought it might be interesting to continue the conversation, focusing on how we interact with SASS based on our views of it, and hopefully take some of the acrimony out of the conversation, maybe learn something. It seems a little more interesting to me than whether or not someone is wearing enough cowboy clothes.

If you don't see why it matters then perhaps it doesn't matter, or I didn't do a good job of expressing myself, or both.

I view SASS as a business and myself as a customer. I see SASS as the WB's property which they are free to administer in whichever way they see fit (including the Wire). Having said that I found it striking that a business owner would address his customers the way JRB did. It seems perfectly OK to say it's my ball and I'll play with it as I choose, but a bit odd to say if you don't want to pay your money and play the way I tell you too then there's something wrong with you. I was hoping to learn a little more about where SASS is going, the Mission Statement was interesting and I'm glad it was posted here. I also find it interesting that some people feel a sense of deference to the Wild Bunch that they surely wouldn't feel towards the CEO of Ford, or Coca-Cola, or any other company that provides a product/service they consume. It's hard for me to reconcile that feeling with the fact that SASS is a business out to make a profit.

If you have read the threads you would have seen my earlier response. It's just after three pages the question has been answered numerous times. The bottom line is what difference does it make. If SASS is a business does that mean you aren't going to shoot? I don't think my response was snide at all. Maybe it should have said "what difference does it make?" And, for that matter, what difference does it make?

Nobody forced either one of you to post here rather than shoot. I guess it's your position that if a thread doesn't interest you it should be posted....interesting.

Howdy

Please follow you original disclaimer in your OP! Larsen and Coffee Pot are entitled to their opinions, just like any one else

Bill Bonney

OK you two. Don't make me stop this car.

Uh oh...I've seen this before :D....so, any exciting shoots coming up? Up in Scottville, Michigan there's the Big Iron Shootout at the end of the month...;)

GG

Howdy

Please follow you original disclaimer in your OP! Larsen and Coffee Pot are entitled to their opinions, just like any one else

Bill Bonney

Reading comprehension Mr. Bonney. My disclaimer referenced the thread topic with respect to what SASS is and opinions related to that, not snide remarks about the premise of the thread.

If you have read the threads you would have seen my earlier response. It's just after three pages the question has been answered numerous times. The bottom line is what difference does it make. If SASS is a business does that mean you aren't going to shoot? I don't think my response was snide at all. Maybe it should have said "what difference does it make?" And, for that matter, what difference does it make?

I don't know what you consider to be polite behavior Larsen, but I don't view responding to a question intended to spark a polite discussion with "who cares" as 'the cowboy way'.

Here try this: you asked whether the answer to my question would impact whether I shoot? I could say 'none of your business' which would be a true statement and in the same vein as your 'who cares'. Or I could respond and say I've viewed SASS as a business from day one and I shoot at SASS matches virtually every weekend.

If you wanted to be a part of the conversation I would love to talk about how your view of the organization affects your expectations of it. Since you don't want that it's not clear to me why you felt the need to comment. Surely there are threads whose topics you view as legitimate where your time could be better spent.

Archived