SASS Wire Forum

Clothing...and other things

Phantom, SASS #54973

Obviously I've been my regular self in upsetting folks...believe it or not, it's not my intent.

Tex's article is frankly...a good one.

Other then the Wrangler thing...which I don't really get cuz to me, I can't tell the difference between them and Levi's...but now that I've got glasses, maybe I will now be able to tell the difference.

But here's the point of my post: Please respect everyone that plays this game within the stated guidelines. It may not be your "Thing"...the way they play, but it's THEIR way.

Don't be judgmental of them if they prioritize things differently then you...it's THEIR way...

Yes, dress is obviously important. I've "Stepped it up" over the years...and have enjoyed it. But that's my thing...

And let's also remember that the "Event" doesn't end at the completion of one's last stage. It ends when you leave the range.

Cheers!

Phantom

+1 Thanks ,my friend.

Amen

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

In the mid 1870's Charles Goodyear made canvas and rubber tennis shoes. He also made rubber coated galoshes in the late 1840- early 1850s. When US Rubber bought out Goodyears shoe co. in 1892 it took a few years but around 1916 - 1917 US Rubber created the "Sneaker" and called them Keds.

AND!! The zipper was patented in 1851!! :o

Phantom,

I've always enjoyed shooting with you. Some of us had the good graces to be born in Texas; others just got here as quick as they could. Your all black cowboy attire fits right in with CAS. I'd wear all black, except that the dark colors encourage the solar radiation to cook my innards; the dust show worse, should I fall down; and, I just really don't care so much for black anyway.

The first time I ever saw (and heard) you shoot was at one of the Raids on Old Fort Parker. I told/asked Colt, "I don't know who that guy is, but if Keith Richards were thirty years younger and shot cowboy, I'd swear that was him."

Listening to a passionate, articulate, even somewhat inflammatory expression of someone's opinion, beats the heck out of a steady diet of pablum.

I probably already said this, but thanks to all you guys at Plum Creek for hosting a fantastic 2013 Texas State Match.

See you soon down the road at Hellfire, Comin-at-Cha, or somewhere.

Czexican

AND LEVI's history: In 1871 Jacob Davis was using rivets on horse blankets, he decided to try them on pant pockets for strength. 1872 Jacob Davis wrote to Levi Strauss about sharing a patent on the riveted pants and later that year August 8, filed patent application. In 1873 patent 139,121 awarded to Jacob Davis and one half assigned to Levi Strauss & Co. 1873 Levi hires Jacob to oversee production of the riveted pants at the San Francisco plant. In 1890 the lot number "501®" was first used to designate the denim waist overalls

AND LEVI's history: In 1871 Jacob Davis was using rivets on horse blankets, he decided to try them on pant pockets for strength. 1872 Jacob Davis wrote to Levi Strauss about sharing a patent on the riveted pants and later that year August 8, filed patent application. In 1873 patent 139,121 awarded to Jacob Davis and one half assigned to Levi Strauss & Co. 1873 Levi hires Jacob to oversee production of the riveted pants at the San Francisco plant. In 1890 the lot number "501®" was first used to designate the denim waist overalls

Wonder when they became anti-gun? Too bad to see Levi's and places like Colorado that share an affinity of old west folklore turn against the 2nd Amendment. Oh well, hopefully Colorado will make an improvement today.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Wonder when they became anti-gun? Too bad to see Levi's and places like Colorado that share an affinity of old west folklore turn against the 2nd Amendment. Oh well, hopefully Colorado will make an improvement today.

Dang. are they anti-gun??

But we want to let folks shoot in those and not wranglers. That's just sad.

Hope those in charge don't look down on my wife for wearing Wranglers in Lady's B Western.

They are the only ones that fit her OK.

I agree that the event does not end when the shooting is over.

Don't like to see ball caps and things at awards. And really have hardly ever seen it happen.

Easy enough for clubs to ask them to be in cowboy gear.

But the naming of Wrangler Brand as not been good enough still gets me.

Phantom,

I've always enjoyed shooting with you. Some of us had the good graces to be born in Texas; others just got here as quick as they could. Your all black cowboy attire fits right in with CAS. I'd wear all black, except that the dark colors encourage the solar radiation to cook my innards; the dust show worse, should I fall down; and, I just really don't care so much for black anyway.

The first time I ever saw (and heard) you shoot was at one of the Raids on Old Fort Parker. I told/asked Colt, "I don't know who that guy is, but if Keith Richards were thirty years younger and shot cowboy, I'd swear that was him."

Listening to a passionate, articulate, even somewhat inflammatory expression of someone's opinion, beats the heck out of a steady diet of pablum.

Awe give Phantom some credit, he doesn't look near as bad as Keith Richards!

I probably already said this, but thanks to all you guys at Plum Creek for hosting a fantastic 2013 Texas State Match.

See you soon down the road at Hellfire, Comin-at-Cha, or somewhere.

Czexican

Give him some credit, he don't look near as bad as Keith Richards!

And the need to politicize this came from where???

Give him some credit, he don't look near as bad as Keith Richards!

True... but it's close!

Right on Colorado... one down ;)

EDIT: Make that BOTH down! :D

GG

Obviously I've been my regular self in upsetting folks...believe it or not, it's not my intent.

Other then the Wrangler thing...which I don't really get cuz to me, I can't tell the difference between them and Levi's...but now that I've got glasses, maybe I will now be able to tell the difference.

But here's the point of my post: Please respect everyone that plays this game within the stated guidelines. It may not be your "Thing"...the way they play, but it's THEIR way.

Don't be judgmental of them if they prioritize things differently then you...it's THEIR way...

Yes, dress is obviously important. I've "Stepped it up" over the years...and have enjoyed it. But that's my thing...

And let's also remember that the "Event" doesn't end at the completion of one's last stage. It ends when you leave the range.

Cheers!

Phantom

Well said, As I said in one of the other threads I dress pretty minimal (wranglers,ariats,I do old style cowboy shirts from our vendors) but I also think its pretty cool that others dress to the other end of spectrum, having both and something in between is good it might help some folks see that you dont have go crazy to get started or shoot in cas/sass.

AO

Howdy Phantom & Gunner,

Haven't been on the Wire in some time, been real busy and not up on the latest with Colorado but I have read Tex's article with costuming and all. What all happeded in Colorado?

At The Cowboys we have decided to take it a step further. We now have a monthly Spirit Of The Game Award which is presented in the same manner as The Match Winner. We started The Spirit Of The Game Award 2 months ago. Creedmoor Walker won in July, and U.K. Dane won in August, and congratulations to both.

First off, the winner must be a match competetor and generally about 10 competetors are nominated before the scoring is totalled up. Our secret judges of course judge on costuming in every detail, as well as their gear which is the first 50%, but equally as well all catagories and both men, women and youth competetors are equally judged as observed on how well they work with their posse in their own capasity or ability, which is the second 50%. Disabled competetors are judged equally with those without disabilities. So as you can imagine anyone can win. As we call it, what's your best howdy look like during the match.

As you know we have anywhere from about 90 to 225 competetors at out monthly matches. We have found that this award is greatly enhancing the overall old west experience at our matches.

It is my pleasure that Ricochet Roy's Old West sponsors our Spirit Of The Game Award. The award is different at each match. Creedmoor Walker won a custom made stock cover for his Winchester 97, and U.K. Dane won an antique Buermann spur circa 1885.

Those nominated are asked to stand up or come forward in order to complement their costuming, and then with much anticipation we announce the winner. Its a whole lot of fun and I would only like to encourage other clubs to consider what we are doing at The Cowboys.

Anyhow, it's been a long time since our paths have crossed, I hope all is well my friends.

Your Pard,

Ricochet Roy

Howdy Phantom & Gunner,

Haven't been on the Wire in some time, been real busy and not up on the latest with Colorado but I have read Tex's article with costuming and all. What all happeded in Colorado?

At The Cowboys we have decided to take it a step further. We now have a monthly Spirit Of The Game Award which is presented in the same manner as The Match Winner. We started The Spirit Of The Game Award 2 months ago. Creedmoor Walker won in July, and U.K. Dane won in August, and congratulations to both.

First off, the winner must be a match competetor and generally about 10 competetors are nominated before the scoring is totalled up. Our secret judges of course judge on costuming in every detail, as well as their gear which is the first 50%, but equally as well all catagories and both men, women and youth competetors are equally judged as observed on how well they work with their posse in their own capasity or ability, which is the second 50%. Disabled competetors are judged equally with those without disabilities. So as you can imagine anyone can win. As we call it, what's your best howdy look like during the match.

As you know we have anywhere from about 90 to 225 competetors at out monthly matches. We have found that this award is greatly enhancing the overall old west experience at our matches.

It is my pleasure that Ricochet Roy's Old West sponsors our Spirit Of The Game Award. The award is different at each match. Creedmoor Walker won a custom made stock cover for his Winchester 97, and U.K. Dane won an antique Buermann spur circa 1885.

Those nominated are asked to stand up or come forward in order to complement their costuming, and then with much anticipation we announce the winner. Its a whole lot of fun and I would only like to encourage other clubs to consider what we are doing at The Cowboys.

Anyhow, it's been a long time since our paths have crossed, I hope all is well my friends.

Your Pard,

Ricochet Roy

Hey pard! :) Glad to hear from you....pulled a Cowboy Chronicle out last night that was dated 2011 and saw your advertisement in there. What a co-inky-dink!

Anyway, what a great idea you guys are doing with The Cowboys in regards to stepping up the 'flavor' of the Old West outfits at the match. Pretty cool ~ :D

Will be out there to watch y'all shoot on 11/24 and give a 'howdy' to some ole friends ....

....and I'll even look a bit more 'cowboy' than I did last year!

Until then ~ HAPPY TRAILS!!

All this history talk made me look up "Fedora". I was surprised to learn that the term Fedora started in the 1880's, but it was primarily a woman's hat until after World War One!

My favorite hat is best described as a "cowboy fedora". Saw one in a vintage family photograph and searched around until I found a company that made something similar. Despite the "history" found on the web, I'm going to keep wearing it because the man in the picture was photographed in the 1890's.

Heyya RR - great to see yer still around!!!!!

This post actually had nothing to do with whether something is or isn't Period Correct or whether Wranglers are just as good as Levi's...but rather that Tex's article, IMHO, was just fine. And that we all need to just play within the rules and let those that want to play differently do so...as long as they are within the rules.

And that I've enjoyed "Stepping Up" my dress...again, because it something that I want to do.

And lastly, folks SHOULD stay in "Dress" for the entire event. Once ya get to yer truck...or car...or whatever, then that is the time to go back into the "Real" world.

Cheers!!!

Phantom

Cool invention IMHO :D Allows gettin' to the gunfight that much quicker ;)

GG

I dunno Gunner, think I'd rather have my gun in hand at that gunfight. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know the first year they made rubber soled sneakers? Just curious.

The first rubber soled shoes were invented in 1896 by Humphrey O'Sullivan. The print smith turned inventor received a patent for it in January of 1899

;)

Button front pants always make me thankful for the zipper. Most don't know that the inventor of the zipper never made a penny from his patent. By the time there was actually production demand for the invention the patent had expired.

On that note, not to take Phantom's "belly-aching" any further than appropriate, 'stepping-up' one's costuming is one of the points of the costume based categories of B-Western and Classic Cowboy. Not to take away from the more stringent shooting requirements of those categories, as a representative of the Classic Cowboy "SHOOTIST AWARD" Committee known as the Magnificent 7, I'd like to propose that costuming would be stepped- up dramatically if everyone was required to compete in those two categories.

Simple; problem solved. :ph34r: Everyone pick five.. ;)

..see you at Comin' At Cha where we will announce the 2013 SHOOTIST AWARD winners. YEEEEEE HAAAAAAAW :D:lol::D

I was only able to afford to raise two daughters because I convinced them that Wranglers were designer jeans. Now that they are in their 40's, I guess I don't have to ask you guys to keep your opinions to yourselves.

Yeah, that would work.

Cheers!

Phantom

Who are you and what have you done with Phantom?!?

Some history on the zipper, for those who are interested, and what I have found in my research..........The first zipper was invented by the same man who invented the sewing machine, Elias Howe. received a patent in 1851 for an "Automatic, Continuous Clothing Closure". Howe's device was more like an elaborate draw-string than a true slide fastener.

The second try came about 41 years later, when Whitcomb Judson marketed a "Clasp Locker". The device served as a (more complicated) hook-and-eye shoe fastener. Judson is sometimes given credit as the inventor of the zipper, but he never made a practical device.

Next came Gideon Sunback, who in 1913 invented the "modern" zipper. And the improvements to what we have now continued.

Archived