SASS Wire Forum

If Rank Points Are Truly Here To Stay

Badlands Bud #15821

2 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

As a student of statistics, sampling and measurement, it does make a difference in the impact, although not the process.

The number of shooters defines the index or sampling for the accuracy of the system.  Just as a valid sampling is needed for a poll.  So the larger the sample, the more accurate the measurement.

If you are in a gun fight close up, misses are much more dangerous to you than if you are at 20 yards - because your opponent is much less likely to miss at close range than further out. .  So it is entirely appropriate for the impact of a miss or mistake to vary, depending on the circumstance. For example, if you stumble and lose 5 seconds in a race.. If it is a sprint, that stumble has a MUCH larger impact than in a longer run. Are you saying that is not fair?

Similarly, if you fumble on the 2 yard line in football, it normally is much worse than fumbling at mid-field.  Should football change it's scoring to make that more fair?

In a rank point match, it is important to beat out as many people as you can on each stage.  So if it is a fast stand and deliver, a miss will hurt you much more because many more shooters will beat you.  That is fair - they beat you.

I have never heard a valid argument for rank points that made sense, after reading this, I have still never heard a valid argument that made sense....

52 minutes ago, COLORADO JACKSON said:

I have never heard a valid argument for rank points that made sense, after reading this, I have still never heard a valid argument that made sense....

Sometimes that say a lot...

When folks compare different sports to Rank points, I've noticed that none of the sports are time related.  Tennis, Golf, Football whatever , none of those comparisons really work.  

• Like 1