SASS Wire Forum

Judge Roy Bean #1 SPEAKS

Justice Lily Kate, SASS #1000

I am truly surprised about what has been said. An owner which comes on his own forum and says to everyone to calm down and is attacked from its own membership.Now I have to say he was not too diplomatic about his statements but he rarely comes on this forum. For him to do so means the membership should step back and think about what has been said the last couple of days. As a past owner of a business I would have not said what was said but would have called the mods and told them to rein in those threads or lock them up. It does not serve this sport or membership to argue about was "food for thought" on a subject. I hope this sport does not self destruct before I shoot my first match at the end of the year.

HS

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes we just forget....I got involved with cowboy action because its FUN. We all talk about our opinions and respect, but to be entirely honest, there is way to much disrespect and just down right unfriendliness on the web, everywhere you go, not just here. I completely agree with The Judge and Tex, this game was created to emulate an era gone by and an idea That the good guys win and ride off into the sunset happy. I follow the rules they set forth and dont look to change them or find a way around them. It's about spending time with people who share those values and I can say that in the 11 years in this sport I hav e only come across one or 2 that didn't share those values, but there are quite a few that I've run across on here that....well, not worth complaining about. Just one more of those values I learned as a kid, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything.

Swan

Ya need a thick hide to ride this trail! :)

Its an ongoing process...I scrap the scabs everyday myself.....and gotta long way to go with ' understanding'... :D

GG

If people are following the rules that you guys made then what's the problem? Change them then!

Good or bad, Tex has stirred more $@!& with his articles than a person can count. One post is over NINE dang pages long!

Maybe it's time to pass the editing torch to somebody else?

Make a rule, and the membership will follow it! But don't p!$$ and moan at people for playing by the rules and expect them to just shut up and smile about it.

And for the folks that say "the Wire isnt SASS" that is the biggest load of BS. The WIRE shows what people at SASS shoots are REALLY THINKiNG and don't have the stones to say at the match.

EVERYBODY needs to lighten up. It's just shooting.

I've been reading the Wire, Classifieds, and, more often, the Saloon (ACS), for more than six years now. Finding and reading these forums led me to join SASS in Jan. 2006, and, three years later, I became a Life member. All of this is due to reading the SASS forums. Every single SASS event I've ever been to has been due to reading about them on these forums.

I'm not the most physically able shooter around, and the Wire, Classifieds and Saloon have given me hundreds of hours of pleasure. I'm liable to read almost all the threads on the three main forums - the good, bad and indifferent ones all. I find I learn something from almost every single thread, thread authors and and the responders to the thread. Some days, when the pain is bad, I'll spend 5-6 hours a day on here, sometimes just lurking, posting at others.

There have been folks who I have read on the forums that i have decided I just don't like, but, guess what? When I have meet them in person, they have turned out to be fine folk who I look forward to shooting with again!

In short, Judge (and Miss Lily Kate), these forums are an extremely valuable recruiting and PR tool for your business and for us, your customers, they are an invaluable source of information that I'm not sure could be gathered together elsewhere. By and large, Judge, the folks on here are some of the finest people to be found anywhere. Yes, we have the eccentric uncle everyone whispers about and a curmudgeon (or three) that are a mite rough around the edges, but that's part of who we are as a family, and I don't think you want to go changing that.

Hang around here every day for a week or so and I think you'll see a different Wire than when you just drop in a read a single post or two.

BTW, I look forward to meeting you and Justice Lily Kate in a few weeks at Ambush, the Alabama State Championship! We're not all "cowardly" or "backstabbiers"!

Had to go read again the Tex posts. Judge and Lilly I now understand why you were not happy, at first I thought you were just going off. Guys the rules are what they are. If it says a certain jean is ok and the others are not, then spend the extra 10.00 or 15.00 and buy a pair or two. With all the cash I have spent on this hobby that much more is not going to break the bank. I look at the rules and then go and buy what is needed not the other way around. If I don't have the correct items I wait untill i can get them before changing catigories. Any game/sport you play will have regs to go by, and if you don't like them then don't play or better yet speak to those in charge to see if you can get them changed. As most of you adults know speaking with someone respectfully will usually get the same response back. It may not be he answer you want but it will hopefully done the same to you. I most of the time wear jeans and a nice shirt to monthly matchs and then dress up more at big matchs, here in AZ the 110 to 115 heat will take the starch out of anyone, so that Is why the rules are relaxed here. As I have stated in the past it is my option and not meant to step on any ones opinion or feelings.

...it seems that occasionally, everyone needs to step over into the Saloon (ACS) and have a drink or 3...

...as a matter of fact, I'll 'ave Bottles start setin' 'em up... ...Bottles, yes Bottles, its goin' be a round for 3 for everyone in the house, it seems that we all could use a drink...

...what??? ...who's tab? ...well, put it on Bama's tab! ...and yes, he said it'd be alright...

Okb

Judge, I have been reading the Wire since it first began many, many moons ago. It used to be fun and a lot of folks posted helpful suggestions and nobody was attacked or insulted back then. I have noticed a definite change in the Wire over the past few years and I have not felt as welcome as in the past. Many of the "old timers" have dropped off the Wire which indicates to me that I'm not alone. I long for the old days when civility and good times were the order of the day on the Wire. Happy trails, Squint

This proves SASS ain't the Wire and the Wire ain't SASS. To take this subject however and lump into the all and be all of what the Wire is ...well, is simply not true. The wire may have it's quirks just like anything in a family would...please remember that even so a lot of good information gets posted here along with a lot of support for many folks...on of off the CAS topic ...a lot of it personal issues. Many a friend has been made here. So please do not allow a discrepancy on one subject dictate the overwhelming good stuff that happens on the Wire.

GG

Gunner, I agree, but I also agree with The Judge about "THE FEW DIRTY LITTLE BACKSHOOTERS IT SEEMS TO ATTRACT" (emphasis added). The wire DOES do all that you said and all that The Judge said as well. If you are one of the people who use this forum as you describe then all is well, and even the most well meaning sometimes get a bit over the top at times. If you are one of the FEW Backshooters that The Judge mentioned then this forum, nor SASS is for you. I KNOW The Judge, and he is a stand-up man I would be proud to ride with. Obviously, he does not mince words. It seems interesting to me that SO MANY people seemed to think his words were directed personally at THEM, when he plainly stated THE FEW. Maybe they have a guilty conscious? Maybe they know what they see in the mirror? Or maybe like The Judge said this is a cowards mail. I do know I have seen things written here that people of civility would NOT say to another persons face. Like The Judge said "if this note offends you …. It was meant to. I am sick of all the arguing, name-calling, and ugliness on here. So clean up your act!!" I think I know The Judge well enough to say he meant this to those few offenders "backshooters" and not tarring the membership with that same brush.

Gunner, I agree, but I also agree with The Judge about "THE FEW DIRTY LITTLE BACKSHOOTERS IT SEEMS TO ATTRACT" (emphasis added). The wire DOES do all that you said and all that The Judge said as well. If you are one of the people who use this forum as you describe then all is well, and even the most well meaning sometimes get a bit over the top at times. If you are one of the FEW Backshooters that The Judge mentioned then this forum, nor SASS is for you. I KNOW The Judge, and he is a stand-up man I would be proud to ride with. Obviously, he does not mince words. It seems interesting to me that SO MANY people seemed to think his words were directed personally at THEM, when he plainly stated THE FEW. Maybe they have a guilty conscious? Maybe they know what they see in the mirror? Or maybe like The Judge said this is a cowards mail. I do know I have seen things written here that people of civility would NOT say to another persons face. Like The Judge said "if this note offends you . It was meant to. I am sick of all the arguing, name-calling, and ugliness on here. So clean up your act!!" I think I know The Judge well enough to say he meant this to those few offenders "backshooters" and not tarring the membership with that same brush.

Just surprised at the post...or...maybe not so. Thanks for your clarification.

As written ' This poison pin communication system should have been closed down years ago.' was a little too thick considering the many good things that have gone on here in the Wire over the many years.

GG~ :FlagAm:

I've managed to stay out of this until now.

the wire should have been controlled better up til now, had it been kept more civil it would have been easier to control. there, I said it, the word control!

This is a playground, their playground whether we like it or not. play nice! be nice!

and yes stop being a bully and this aint "have it your way land" if you cant be civil and cant communicate without blasting others, well, then start your own forum.

Didn't read the thread, didn't need to. Been around along enough to know where that one was going and WHO would have their backshooten comments and smile while doing it. Wanted to read it, but by this thread with the Judge speaking up, I was right about where it was going and I just knew better. One thing that does crack me up from experience, those back shooters are never large physically enough to begin to back up their words, only small enough to type them. JMHO :lol:

Just surprised at the post...or...maybe not so. Thanks for your clarification.

As written ' This poison pin communication system should have been closed down years ago.' was a little too thick considering the many good things that have gone on here in the Wire over the many years.

GG~ :FlagAm:

Gunner, to make a sure and positive clarification: I AM NOT speaking for The Judge! I just stated what I read him to say in his very rare post. The Judge doesn't need me to stand up for him, not at all, however I WILL STAND WITH HIM. His point about this being a 'poison pen communication system' proves that he is human, like the rest of us. He gets his belly full of the bickering, name calling etc, and expects people to be civil. If you can't be civil and behave like a responsible adult (I don't care who you are) then I FEEL that this forum NOR SASS is the place you need to be (MY OPINION). If he got a little too think with that part of his post, it just goes to show how passions can cause good men to overstate an opinion or idea, and bad men to create a riot over them.

Didn't read the thread, didn't need to. Been around along enough to know where that one was going and WHO would have their backshooten comments and smile while doing it. Wanted to read it, but by this thread with the Judge speaking up, I was right about where it was going and I just knew better. One thing that does crack me up from experience, those back shooters are never large physically enough to begin to back up their words, only small enough to type them. JMHO :lol:

+1! Sounds like it 'don't take you long to look at a horseshoe'

Gunner, to make a sure and positive clarification: I AM NOT speaking for The Judge! I just stated what I read him to say in his very rare post. The Judge doesn't need me to stand up for him, not at all, however I WILL STAND WITH HIM. His point about this being a 'poison pen communication system' proves that he is human, like the rest of us. He gets his belly full of the bickering, name calling etc, and expects people to be civil. If you can't be civil and behave like a responsible adult (I don't care who you are) then I FEEL that this forum NOR SASS is the place you need to be (MY OPINION). If he got a little too think with that part of his post, it just goes to show how passions can cause good men to overstate an opinion or idea, and bad men to create a riot over them.

Fair nuff - just clarifying my position too and reasoning for my original post ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

My Dad used to say that if you wanted to respond to someone via letter in rather mean manner it was best to write it and then NOT send it for a day or two. You usually will change your mind about your response. The "instant" access that the internet provides can be a real hindrance to good manners.

One of the best things about the wire is that it is NOT really anonymous as compared to many forums. Here we log on and use our known aliases that are registered with SASS. On most forums you are not known personally and so the "banter" to use a polite term is rather impolite because the "virtual" distance can easily cause people to write things they shouldn't. On the wire this does happen but much less frequently.

Some people would benfit from walking away from the keyboard for 10 minutes or so before posting when they're upset. That would help.

But after reading posts here for over a decade, I am beginning to think that some people do really understand what civil discourse actually is. They see nothing improper in their posts, don't believe thay have written anything insulting, sarcastic or inflammatory. They are either incredibly dense, or just insensitive and absolutely unable to see any viewpoint but their own.This kind of amazes me. It shouldn't at my age, but it does.

Hi Folks,

Judge and Kate, thanks for coming here. I'm so sorry that you are disgusted with the direction the Wire has taken. I believe it still has value and I will do my best to keep an eye on things.

My thought is that when The Judge is mad enough to post what he did, things need to change. I agree with Utah Bob's statement that some folks "see nothing improper in their posts, don't believe they have written anything insulting, sarcastic or inflammatory. They are either incredibly dense, or just insensitive and absolutely unable to see any viewpoint but their own."

I and other Moderators have deleted posts/threads and "talked" to some of the same folks over and over, yet they continue. I've been bashed, whether I was involved or not. The Moderators are volunteers, we are not paid employees. We shouldn't have to deal with the same things over and over. You get a thread deleted, do not repost, then question us. Go to the Guidelines or send one of us a message. Your public questioning a moderating activity is a violation of the Guidelines.

" Banned ... Some reasons a user might be banned: • Attempts at hacking or destroying the forum; • Repeated violation of the stated board rules or forum rules; • Repeated offensive and rude behavior (trolling); • Driving away other members; • Repeatedly instigating controversial issues; • Repeated attempts to circumvent moderation; • Direct public challenges to any Moderator, SASS Wire Administrator, SASS board of directors, employee or volunteer..."

Joe LaFives gave great advice when he wrote the following. "My Dad used to say that if you wanted to respond to someone via letter in rather mean manner it was best to write it and then NOT send it for a day or two. You usually will change your mind about your response." I would add stop attacking people, debate the ideas. If you don't know how, look for your post to be edited or deleted. If this happens too often, our next step will be to place you on Preview, where everything you want to post must be approved by a Moderator.

Regards,

Allie Mo

the very first one by kate ive known the judge for 20 years thoose are not his words

If you are saying you can authenticate someone's words from what is typed on an internet post you have created a whole new science.

the very first one by kate ive known the judge for 20 years thoose are not his words

I would hope not - some pretty vile stuff expressed...and all over a disagreement on Tex's clothing article :unsure: . Anyway, hope the Judge remembers the incredible support and prayers many on the Wire expressed for him during some troubling times. It's kinda sad how much we forget the GOOD things that happen here (and MOST of it is good stuff!) and remember the trivial hogwash even greater - lifting it up on a pedestal for all the world to see and criticize.

All in all - hope the Judge is doing better these days....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

If you are saying you can authenticate someone's words from what is typed on an internet post you have created a whole new science.

That algorithm already exists. It outed J.K. Rowing when she wrote under a pseudonym.

If thats the you and Tex feel about me and my wranglers you just go ahead and cancel my membership.

+1

STL Suomi

Organizations grow one client at a time and conversely decline one client at a time...

"That algorithm already exists. It outed J.K. Rowing when she wrote under a pseudonym."

That was an entire book and I'm sure the poster does not have the technology. Let's stay realistic here.

Gaaaaaak!!! Can't breeeeeeath!!! Laughing too hard!!! :lol:

:lol::D:lol:

Some people would benfit from walking away from the keyboard for 10 minutes or so before posting when they're upset. That would help.

Yep, I've heard it called the 15 minute rule. Copy and paste your reply into Word, leave it there for 15 minutes, then see if it's really worth the reply. Often someone will make the point much clearer in that time, or you may find a rewrite is needed. As to the other two threads, I didn't think they got that far out of hand, maybe a few replies needed cleaning up, but overall it was a good discusion. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Yep, I've heard it called the 15 minute rule. Copy and paste your reply into Word, leave it there for 15 minutes, then see if it's really worth the reply. Often someone will make the point much clearer in that time, or you may find a rewrite is needed. As to the other two threads, I didn't think they got that far out of hand, maybe a few replies needed cleaning up, but overall it was a good discusion. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Hi Jefro,

Maybe only a few things needed cleaning up. However, once they are out there for a period of time, there isn't much point in editing or hiding them as so many folks have seen them. The Moderators try to get to things before a thread becomes non-productive. By, that time, it is best to just lock the thread and "let tempers cool." Locking a thread without cleaning the trash talk, should send a message about what has gone awry and make the closing better understood.

You can always renew the discussion with a new post. It isn't that certain topics are being forbidden by locking a thread. It is more of requesting a fresh and more polite start to the discussion.

Regards,

Allie Mo

"That algorithm already exists. It outed J.K. Rowing when she wrote under a pseudonym."

That was an entire book and I'm sure the poster does not have the technology. Let's stay realistic here.

I am only recently retired from the world of data mining and data science. The NSA does not hold an exclusive on the mining of data and patterns from the internet. In fact, most of the basics are taught to undergraduates at Stanford where the algorithms and mathematics are considered trivial. They hurt my brain but I am not a whiz kid. Doubtless, most of the brain trust schools teach something similar, I just know about Stanford because I took their online classes.

Archived