SASS Wire Forum

Judge Roy Bean #1 SPEAKS

Justice Lily Kate, SASS #1000

I don’t usually get on the coward’s mail …. Oh sorry … the Wire because of the few dirty little back shooters the Wire seems to attract. And after reading the post on costuming I realize I was right. This poison pin communication system should have been closed down years ago.

PS: if this note offends you …. It was meant to. I am sick of all the arguing, name-calling, and ugliness on here. So clean up your act!!

I still love the majority of you and am glad you love the game and SASS.

The Judge

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amen Judge!!! I play the game for the fun! If I go to or know of a great shoot I will post on here! I have been known to also take part in some friendly trash talk. If I go to a shoot I don't care for....I just keep my mouth shut!!!

Then close it down.

This forum has been very useful in promoting your company and it does a lot of good.

Respectfully,

Fillmore

Yep I agree with the Judge! thanks for inventing this great Game/sport I love to play, love the wire for information and I think it is helpful, but hate when it gets into the name calling/ making people feel stupid, we have some folks that thrive on belittling people and making people feel inferior.

Rafe

Howdy Kate, I sitll love you, the Judge, and even Tex, and we thank you for inventing the game. Tex knew what kind of reaction he was gonna get when he wrote the article, he even said as much. IMHO most of the responses have been nothing more than heart felt opinions, nothing wrong with that. I hope good debates like these will continue. Hope to see ya'll on the range, Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Yes, the wire does turn into the fire at times, but it is also a valuable resource to SASS members and those who may be thinking about joining up.

Many of my thoughts are similar to my reply on the other thread, so in case you have washed your hands of that one and are still checking this one, I'll quote my post.

Justice Lily Kate, SASS #1000, on 09 Sept 2013 - 10:47, said

My pards and pardettes were right. I shouldn't have posted on this
thread. I should have kept my mouth shut and not said anything. Why
are they right .... because they told me that I would be attacked,
vilified, bemoaned, and generally dismissed as "stoooopid" in the words
of Phantom. Whatever happened to stating one's opinion (First Amendment
right) and then a calm, reasonable, low-key debate or discussion take
place? No wonder the Judge and I gave up reading the Wire several years
ago. Our BP doesn't need any help or encouragement.

Kate

Kate, I know what you mean, I've had to step away from this thread several times to calm my BP.

It is clear that many of us are passionate about this game, I know
that I am, and obviously you are as well. This same passion that is
good for the game, can also lead to heated discussions when opposing
view points surface.

The written word can be very cutting. For example, when I read Tex's
latest editorial, the words 'just don't get it' which he used several
times leapt out from the printed page and cut me. To me those words
were saying "you are obviously stupid and can't grasp the simplest
concept." Is that what he meant? I have no idea, I have not conversed
with him to ask. But I certainly do not think it was a stretch to read
it that way given the context and repetition of the subject matter.

I appreciate all that you, the Judge, Tex, Cat, and others have done
to create and grow this game, but I won't always agree with you. If I
offended you in any way with my comments, apologize, that was not my
intent.

I hope to see you down the trail, until then, watch yer top knot (especially on the wire :D )

Grizz

Then close it down.

This forum has been very useful in promoting your company and it does a lot of good.

Respectfully,

Fillmore

+1.... and speaking in contempt of your customers never did any business any good. But, it has spawned a host of competition. There are those who don't take it kindly especially when their opinion is spurned but their money is demanded.

Ya'll take the time to read what the man said. He didn't say don't have differing opinions. It didn't say that constructive criticism is a bad thing. He said name calling and finger pointing. You gotta admit it's gotten pretty damn tedious around here, people afraid to open their mouths for fear of being howled down by a few bullies that seem to think their opinion is the only one that counts. And lord be damned if you happen to broach a subject that has been brought up anytime in the past 15 years. I believe if a person has a question or and opinion they should be allowed to be heard on here.

Ya'll take the time to read what the man said. He didn't say don't have differing opinions. It didn't say that constructive criticism is a bad thing. He said name calling and finger pointing. You gotta admit it's gotten pretty damn tedious around here, people afraid to open their mouths for fear of being howled down by a few bullies that seem to think their opinion is the only one that counts. And lord be damned if you happen to broach a subject that has been brought up anytime in the past 15 years. I believe if a person has a question or and opinion they should be allowed to be heard on here.

+1

+1

+2. As usual, the voice of reason.

And then he calls folks cowards and backshooters. Hmmm

FC

OK, he said:

"Either some of our folks still just dont get it, or they do understand, but don't believe costume compliance is worth the effort."

and

"all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series."

and

"Wranglers are NOT part of the equation! They're not outlawed but they are definitely not Old West, either."

Perhaps, they're not old west, but they are definitely late 19th century and Western Television series, and B-western.

The Judge also said:

"I dont usually get on the cowards mail . Oh sorry the Wire because of the few dirty little back shooters the Wire seems to attract. And after reading the post on costuming I realize I was right. This poison pin communication system should have been closed down years ago."

I think his statement that 'some folks just don't get it' was spot on, just not directed at the right folks.

I dont usually get on the cowards mail . Oh sorry the Wire because of the few dirty little back shooters the Wire seems to attract. And after reading the post on costuming I realize I was right. This poison pin communication system should have been closed down years ago.

PS: if this note offends you . It was meant to. I am sick of all the arguing, name-calling, and ugliness on here. So clean up your act!!

The Judge

Sounds like we just might end up on the Cas-L wire, or any of several others at this rate ..... Oh wait... Been there... Done that....

Ah well ....

SC

I don't see the wire as cowardly.

I see it as a pretty wide open exchange of ideas.

Are there some that are passionate in the defense of their opinions? YES! And please count me among that group.

I hope the wire never loses the passion - the fire - the intensity.

I would have no interest in a "Kumbaya" hand holding neutered wire.

What I do feel is cowardly is to use the bully pulpit of an editorial, use the intimidation of a low SASS # to insult and demean folks that are playing the game legally within the rules YOU created. And then when we take offense at the insult, your response is to insult us again.

Are there some that are passionate in the defense of their opinions? YES! And please count me among that group.

What I do feel is cowardly is to use the bully pulpit of an editorial, use the intimidation of a low SASS # to insult and demean folks that are playing the game legally within the rules YOU created. And then when we take offense at the insult, your response is to insult us again.

Spot on . I love it when you folks save me the typing .

Creeker nails it again.

I don't see the Judge calling everyone cowards etc., or saying the whole wire is messed up. It is the minority he is talking about.

But, if you take personal offense, then maybe you need to re-think your posts in the future.

An open forum does not mean it is OK to bully, purposely stir the pot, or take personal cheap shots at folks expressing their opinions. And don't cover up bad behavior by calling it your opinion or your right to say what ever you want.

If'in you can't play nice, maybe it is time for you to go somewhere else. You don't need the wire just to hear yourself talk.

It's a 2 way street.

I for one have NEVER, EVER, posted such an inflammatory statement as this one " coward’s mail …. Oh sorry … the Wire because of the few dirty little back shooters the Wire".

Pretty 'broad' stroke of the brush there......

LG

I don’t usually get on the coward’s mail …. Oh sorry … the Wire because of the few dirty little back shooters the Wire seems to attract. And after reading the post on costuming I realize I was right. This poison pin communication system should have been closed down years ago.

PS: if this note offends you …. It was meant to. I am sick of all the arguing, name-calling, and ugliness on here. So clean up your act!!

The Judge

I think that you're painting the Wire participants with WAY to big a brush. While there are a few who constantly argue or are insulting, there are 100 times that number who are genuinely helping other SASS pards. To call everyone who posts on the SASS Wire cowards and backshooters is extremely insulting to the other 98% of the folks who visit the Wire.

Sometimes, one has to have thick skin to participate is some of the discussions that go on here. I've sat and drank, told jokes and had quality conversation with both you and Kate. Ya'll don't seem to have thin skin to me, maybe it's just a sore subject or it was a bad day. I"ll let it go at that.

Cypress (ain't no coward or backshooter) Sun

Justice Lily Kate, SASS #1000, on 09 Sept 2013 - 10:47, said

My pards and pardettes were right. I shouldn't have posted on this
thread. I should have kept my mouth shut and not said anything. Why
are they right .... because they told me that I would be attacked,
vilified, bemoaned, and generally dismissed as "stoooopid" in the words
of Phantom. Whatever happened to stating one's opinion (First Amendment
right)
and then a calm, reasonable, low-key debate or discussion take
place? No wonder the Judge and I gave up reading the Wire several years
ago. Our BP doesn't need any help or encouragement.

Kate

First of all not being able to get someone to agree to your opinion is NOT a violation of the First Amendment.

Second, only the GOVERNMENT can violate your first amendment rights. By not allowing you to state them or to prosecute you for saying them.

An individual, company or organization does not have to allow you to way what you want as you have the right to leave that individual, company or organization.

Please, everyon, understand how violations of the First Amendment are done and don't just say because "insert name here" belittles my word or won't let me talk, violates my first amendment rights.

We ALL know the Wire can get outta hand. I've been (as ALL of you know), over the top at times.

BUT...this is typical of internet communications...they lend themselves to communication that does go over the top.

Most of us, even folks that I frankly don't care for, would agree that more positive things come from the Wire then negative.

Even the negative stuff...even the over the top negative threads can bring a better understanding of the game/CAS environment. Which...in my humble opinion can make the game of CAS and the SASS organization better.

I grew up in an setting that didn't have to many holds barred. In the end, many issues got explored thoroughly and good things were developed.

Anyway...cheers!

Phantom

This proves SASS ain't the Wire and the Wire ain't SASS. To take this subject however and lump into the all and be all of what the Wire is ...well, is simply not true. The wire may have it's quirks just like anything in a family would...please remember that even so a lot of good information gets posted here along with a lot of support for many folks...on of off the CAS topic ...a lot of it personal issues. Many a friend has been made here. So please do not allow a discrepancy on one subject dictate the overwhelming good stuff that happens on the Wire.

GG

If thats the you and Tex feel about me and my wranglers you just go ahead and cancel my membership.

Amen and well said

And I would like to point out that at this point a LARGE number of SASS shooters didn't grow up with Gene and Roy plaing cowboys and Indians. This isn't a continuation of childhood fantasy. It's a fun friendly game. I grew up with the A-team and McGuyver. I never watched the rifleman, or Bonanza, or the Lone Ranger growing up and didn't even Know 3:10 to Yuma was a remake until well after I saw it the first time.

I do know being insaulted for playing the game by the rules is getting old. And it seems to me like insalting and pissing off your CUSTOMERS is a bad business model.

If thats the you and Tex feel about me and my wranglers you just go ahead and cancel my membership.

Yeah, insult'n the members(customers)is always good for marketing and PR....... <_<

Amen and well said

And I would like to point out that at this point a LARGE number of SASS shooters didn't grow up with Gene and Roy plaing cowboys and Indians. This isn't a continuation of childhood fantasy. It's a fun friendly game. I grew up with the A-team and McGuyver. I never watched the rifleman, or Bonanza, or the Lone Ranger growing up and didn't even Know 3:10 to Yuma was a remake until well after I saw it the first time.

I do know being insaulted for playing the game by the rules is getting old. And it seems to me like insalting and pissing off your CUSTOMERS is a bad business model.

It's more of a "business suicide". :rolleyes:

LG

Creeker nails it again.

Creeker,

Take a bow Sir (applause inserted here)

CBO

This proves SASS ain't the Wire and the Wire ain't SASS. To take this subject however and lump into the all and be all of what the Wire is ...well, is simply not true. The wire may have it's quirks just like anything in a family would...please remember that even so a lot of good information gets posted here along with a lot of support for many folks...on of off the CAS topic ...a lot of it personal issues. Many a friend has been made here. So please do not allow a discrepancy on one subject dictate the overwhelming good stuff that happens on the Wire.

GG

Very well said Gunner, you da man!

Rye ;)

It is a lot easier to stay happier... by not reading ... the poison editorials that (almost without fail) seem to seep out every month.

It is like "the main objective" being only to provoke people and stir things up.

I always felt that "Tex" must be at odds with the rest of the WB ... and just putting a stick in their eye because he could.

The responses (on this available media) seem to reflect that ...

That is how it always looked ... anyhow ...

Pete

The wire is like a train wreck -- hard not to look at it. Over my 4-plus years of looking at it, I've found it irritating, amusing, and informative. Wish some could remember to write as it they were talking face to face and avoid some of the personal invective. It's easy say things with the anonymity of cyberspace that one wouldn't ordinarily say in person. But then, that's the nature of the internet where body language, facial expression and tone of voice are lacking that have much to do with communication. Sometimes offense is intended, much of the time it isn't.

Ya need a thick hide to ride this trail! :)

Archived