SASS Wire Forum

Was thinkin' about the C45S

Gunner Gatlin, SASS 10274L

..and the progress it was hopefully making and then.....

http://www.cowboy45specialbrass.blogspot.com/

BTW: How much BP does the case hold if I were to load a SLIM 45 Lite 175gr Big Lube projectile?

:D Yee Haw!!!

GG ~ :FlagAm:

The case itself, without bullet, holds just a hair more than a 38 case. With a 160 gr RNFP bullet it holds a little over 1.2 cc. Compressed, you could probably get 1.3 to 1.4 cc.

No Pale Rider loads in C45S!

--Dawg

Yup - I know I know....just for something different now and then OR if I am forced into the FCGF category... :D

GG~ :FlagAm:

I shoot .45CS in 1851 conversions for FC categories. A 1/16" compressed load of APP FFg or Goex with a 160 RFN or 185 SWC. the 185 SWC are often easier to find and cheaper. Winchester LP primers works fine for me.

This load is very close to the .455/.476 Eley loads used in the 1880s. About historically correct in power and recoil as one can easily do.

I think that the big bore cartridge powder capacities were pretty much in line with the c45s up until Colt and Winchester brought out the 45Colt and the 44Win rounds. The Henry, the Yellow Boy and I think even the Colt conversions all used short fat cases for the most part. I really like the c45s in pistols when teamed with a rifle in 44-40, keeps down the possibility of ammo mix-ups if things get hectic. Do not forget that there is a means available to convert your toggle link rifles to the short cases also.

Been shooting cut down 45colt cases at APC length with great success.

Recoil is not any different that my 38s with my 160 grain bullets and Clay Dot powder.

With APP ....SWEET :)

• 4 weeks later...

Keep us posted on availability and new pricing. Will anyone be producing the ultralight .45 bullets that AJ was marketing?

Sorry, not that I know about.

Archived