SASS Wire Forum

Apropriate wearing of equipment?

Tell Sackett SASS 18436

You realize of course that your cool set of pictures isn't from B-Westerns. And that Buscedero rigs place the holster much lower for a reason. The OP's OP is about the belt being below the butt. So it obviously isn't about B-W shooters wearing their equipment. It isn't a leap of logic to suggest that anyone who wishes to game his equipment doesn't have to in order to position his pistols, but can simply enter as BW.

Since day one, the rules had a problem with people confusing what they saw at the movies with what the cowboys really did. And the Wild Bunch appears to have provided a clear and simple solution by providing BW, and clearly stating that we wear our equipment to match one or the other.

Wearing belts below the butt really has no place in this hobby. But it will if the hobby continues to allow the gamers to shout the WB down.

I don't believe that the rules state that you have shoot B-Western to wear a buscadero rig...I am pretty sure, and you can correct me if I am wrong, but you can wear 'em in most any other category with the exception being Classic Cowboy.

PRESS RELEASE: "SASS distinguished itself from all other shooting sports today by adding a new rule. Designed to 'dovetail' with the previous SHOTGUN BRA rule, the new BUTT CRACK rule will attempt to save the children from possible injury and death in the name of safety and taste. It's a new 'comprehensive' approach to gun safety that just makes common sense."

Aye, aye. Well spoken, BK!

Yes. We MUST do something about this. Just think of all the future children we'll save and the injuries we will prevent. Wearing the belt in this manner is only tempting fate, and the belt, to damage the wearer's gentlemen plums at some point of time. :blink: We must protect the children. Well played, Brother King, well played.

Harumph, harumph! ;)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really haven't read my early posts have you.

One of my points was that some of our equipment isn't historically backed.

On the other hand, you haven't seen many B-Westerns have you. A number of the sidekicks were very large in girth. And wore their gunbelts where they'd get the biggest laughs. On the other, other hand, the SASS rules have never, and most certainly can be counted on to never cover more than the outfit and equipment. Why would you choose to attack body mass as it's nowhere within the OPs or the Wild Bunch's scope of interest.

It's not "Body Mass"...it's "Body Massive"...or obese.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I did read your posts...all of 'em...in their entirety.

Just wanted to see photographic evidence that they existed...just like YOU wanted to see photographic evidence...even though this is a FANTASY GAME.

So, again, I'm looking forward to seeing the photos.

Phantom

I wish we had 100 just like shooter in question. He's a credit to the sport and works very hard on and off a posse. He pounded his fair share of stakes at EOT and never ever shirks a task. And if you took the time to know him you would know he was not trying to be "gangsta". In fact in the small group of elite shooters he actually sets a very good example of dressing the part. He can posse with me any day.

Well said.

KK

The way I see it is ,wearing your holsters where they are comfortable and safe for you is appropriate.

The end.

If only it was.

Micheal Landon aka Little Joe Cartwright had a dropped rig plus wore it extremely low lol,

James Coburn wore his rig really low in a few westerns.

I'm with Deuce I'll take a guy like this any day, especially over some deleted that says stuff to folks who end up quitting or not shooting certain clubs cause somebodies doing something different.

AO

This rule was created as a result of a B Western shooter wearing his spurs on his elbows. Not quite the same is it?

As I stated in a previous post it was a Classic Cowboy wannabe not B Western. I was there at Mule Camp when it happened.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 10, 2013 - Insult
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 10, 2013 - Insult

I just got into this sport and I love it, I really hope there's not to many cowboy like that Tell Sackett guy , Mr Sackett if you don't like it Why don't you stay home, I for one would like to more people get into this sport, if we nit pick people apart that won't happen, .

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 10, 2013 - Double tap insult
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 10, 2013 - Double tap insult

I just got into this sport and I love it, I really hope there's not to many cowboy like that Tell Sackett guy , Mr Sackett if you don't like it Why don't you stay home, I for one would like to more people get into this sport, if we nit pick people apart that won't happen, .

One of the things that really bothers me about this, and the other thread, is the message they are sending to our young shooters, and new shooters. They show up, work hard, practice, and play the game within the rules. And what does it get them? Examined under a microscope for any little minute detail that someone could complain about.

For new folks, especially younger ones, just showing up and trying to get the basics of the game down amidst a bunch of old farts can be intimidating enough without adding the very real concern that they will be harassed and looked and talked down to for what they are wearing.

Very well said Grizz. I hope any new or potential new shooters reading all this b#&%$* realizes that this does not go on at the range. Good Luck :)

But it will if the hobby continues to allow the gamers to shout the WB down.

Uh Oh!! :o It's them nasty speed demon gamers fault again :wacko: You know, the ones that have fun being competitive, like I have fun being slow shooting BP :D Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Very well said Grizz. I hope any new or potential new shooters reading all this b#&%$* realizes that this does not go on at the range. Good Luck :)

Uh Oh!! :o It's them nasty speed demon gamers fault again :wacko: You know, the ones that have fun being competitive, like I have fun being slow shooting BP :D Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Welcome to the sport, Marshall Tombstone Wallis. No, the actual presence of fellow humans at the matches seems to make everyone friendly, courteous and helpful, i.e. the cowboy way. Think of the SASS Wire as a pressure relief valve between matches. And to address your concern - this person seems to be in a class all by his lonesome. Enjoy, and never be hesitant to ask for or accept advice and assistance from your fellow shooters. I doubt if any other sport has such comradery.

You realize of course that your cool set of pictures isn't from B-Westerns. And that Buscedero rigs place the holster much lower for a reason. The OP's OP is about the belt being below the butt. So it obviously isn't about B-W shooters wearing their equipment. It isn't a leap of logic to suggest that anyone who wishes to game his equipment doesn't have to in order to position his pistols, but can simply enter as BW.

Since day one, the rules had a problem with people confusing what they saw at the movies with what the cowboys really did. And the Wild Bunch appears to have provided a clear and simple solution by providing BW, and clearly stating that we wear our equipment to match one or the other.

Wearing belts below the butt really has no place in this hobby. But it will if the hobby continues to allow the gamers to shout the WB down.

Wow, Never been called a gamer before, thanks! At least you acknowledge that this is a game.

I actually thought that spaghetti westerns defined the term western B movie. Learn something new every day I guess. I do notice that you see only what fits your world view as several of the actors in the research I provided you used a standard gun belt slung extremely low on their hips. Still don't see this as any different from what you and the OP are so riled up about. But go ahead, make sure that you disqualify everyone that doesn't meet your standards at every match you put on or attend.

BTW, SASS isn't a hobby, it is a service business, and as such, it is impossible to "shout the WB down". All they have to do is make a business decision not to allow those things that disturb them. I follow every rule of SASS, have fun doing it, and support the WB by paying my fees for the last 15 years (something I don't have to do as I shoot no state matches or regionals). No club in my area requires that you be a SASS member to shoot in their matches.

I have provided the proof you have requested, but you refuse to acknowledge it. You accuse those that think differently from you of verbal assault on the owners of the business. Hell of a way to treat your peers and / or customers. Now the judge, one of the owners of the business, thinks it is a fine thing to insult his customers and threaten to close down a service that they have already paid for (the wire). His business, his decision. Damn good way to lose a pretty good piece of his customer base IMHO. I have spent over $5000 just on guns to play this game, and since joining have probably spent in excess of $50,000 on other things directly related to this game. And you want to denigrate me and others like me because you don't like the way we look, even though we play within the rules. Not a good way to make friends and influence people.

Bottom line is the original post asks about wearing the gun belt, and gun belts are equipment.

Bottom line (pun intended) is does the rule in place today, (ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.) rule out wearing our gunbelts below our butts. The OP didn't mention holsters or clothing. Neither have I.

The OP describes a gun belt being worn below the butt, being held up by the thighs. Would that be appropriate in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television. It's the rule and the belt being discussed.

One of the things that really bothers me about this, and the other thread, is the message they are sending to our young shooters, and new shooters. They show up, work hard, practice, and play the game within the rules. And what does it get them? Examined under a microscope for any little minute detail that someone could complain about.

For new folks, especially younger ones, just showing up and trying to get the basics of the game down amidst a bunch of old farts can be intimidating enough without adding the very real concern that they will be harassed and looked and talked down to for what they are wearing.

just dont come to a shoot expecting to shoot while ya are wearing yer hoodie etc

pretty simple :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

over the years I have brought many kids to CAS shoots

even grand kids, most of them did NOT have much in the line of cowboy clothes

but you know what, we got them what they needed to get by

most folks that bring kids do the same, and most would NOT want to promote for lack of a better term

punk - ganster - back alley or michael jackson look

boy has this post spun off into never neverland, punn intended

LOL

its all entertainment, but guidlines are all around us in everyday life

Archived