SASS Wire Forum

Apropriate wearing of equipment?

Tell Sackett SASS 18436

The idea that how we wear our gear should be appropriate is pertinent.

Could the shooter mentioned as an example been able to climb on his horse and his guns remained in the holsters. Sounds like he couldn't have swung a leg over, and that he'd already have lost one pistol getting the first boot into the stirrup. Sounds like he'd also have been sitting on the belt.

Sounds like a very foolish looking way to game this game.

As for deciding the verdict based on the character of the person used as an example, how ridiculous is that? What if he decides to game the game even more? Does his character have a limit? Should his character be the yardstick for our rules?

Nice young man or not, where his belt happens to be appears to be anything but authentic. And sad to say will be allowed along with quick-draw shotgun belts and quick-draw holsters. We'd best be prepared to allow just about anything any nice people decide is authentic, from the way this thread has gone.

If you think about it, Tex's editorial just might have been triggered by seeing somebody wearing his gunbelt below his butt.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The idea that how we wear our gear should be appropriate is pertinent.

I agree, many wire-riders seem not to agree

perhaps that is another reason that #4 sass feller wishes for the TG's to have a little discussion

;) what does it hurt for them TG's to talk bout it ;)

I dont think anyone said low riding holsters were illegal

just remimber the wire is like CAS

its part entertainment

when I shoot gunfighter my pistols end up sideways by the time the 10th shot comes around

So Mike does that mean you're the one trying to go gangsta :D:D:o

He's well within the so called "dress-code" and current rules.

Nuff-said.....

LG

Got any pictures showing cowboys wearing their belts below their butts?

Honest, do you think sitting on your gunbelt would be authentic?

I agree, many wire-riders seem not to agree

perhaps that is another reason that #4 sass feller wishes for the TG's to have a little discussion

;) what does it hurt for them TG's to talk bout it ;)

Ya know, I wasn't going to bother, but:

Tex and the other owners of SASS have every right to run their business as they see fit. If Tex and the OP have such a bug up their a-- about not liking how their members, within the rules, wear their gear, then they need to ban them for life, make the rules more restrictive, or just st-u. The owners of the business have the ability and power to do any of the three. I play by the rules, work hard for the rest of the posse, and I am damn tired of people that denigrate those that do so in a way different from what they think is appropriate. I PLAY this GAME for FUN.

If you want to make it serious, Charge $1000 to play, pay 1st place $10,000 for each local, $100,000 for each regional, $1m for the national and worlds, hire waddies, brass pickers, and such, make the rule book 1000 pages and instantly disqualify anyone that makes a single mistake. It won't be CAS, but it will be SASS, and your membership would go to 100 or so and stay there. I LIKE the minimum dress code, the institutional desire to welcome new shooters, and the emphasis on safety and FUN.

I, however, will take my time and money elsewhere when it is no longer fun.

Please explain 1 thing about SASS that is "authentic". It is a FANTASY GAME for god's sake.

Ya know, I wasn't going to bother, but:

Tex and the other owners of SASS have every right to run their business as they see fit. If Tex and the OP have such a bug up their a-- about not liking how their members, within the rules, wear their gear, then they need to ban them for life, make the rules more restrictive, or just st-u. The owners of the business have the ability and power to do any of the three. I play by the rules, work hard for the rest of the posse, and I am damn tired of people that denigrate those that do so in a way different from what they think is appropriate. I PLAY this GAME for FUN.

If you want to make it serious, Charge $1000 to play, pay 1st place $10,000 for each local, $100,000 for each regional, $1m for the national and worlds, hire waddies, brass pickers, and such, make the rule book 1000 pages and instantly disqualify anyone that makes a single mistake. It won't be CAS, but it will be SASS, and your membership would go to 100 or so and stay there. I LIKE the minimum dress code, the institutional desire to welcome new shooters, and the emphasis on safety and FUN.

I, however, will take my time and money elsewhere when it is no longer fun.

Amen to that. Luckily, the Wire isn't SASS or CAS. If It was wrong or offended Tex so much at EoT, why did he let the "offenders" participate in the shootoff? Because it was LEGAL, that's why! If it changes, some will comply...some will go away or move on to another hobby. Apparently the cash flow is awesome at SASS HQ if they want to run off shooters. I shoot a lot of big matches and never see anyone dressed in a way that makes me wanna quit or even complain. I guess I'm just too busy having fun.

Better go now. Gotta go make sure my jeans are clean for next weekend.

Four Bucks

Oh-for cry'n out loud! :o It's a friek'n GAME..... :rolleyes:

BTW, I never saw a 'real' cowboy of the period push'n a gun cart either. :P

Sounds like you should sign up for NCOWS :D

http://www.ncows.org/

LG

Please explain 1 thing about SASS that is "authentic". It is a FANTASY GAME for god's sake.

Let the rule book (page 2) explain:

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.

its a game

its a shooting competition

its entertainment

we all need a chill pill

geeeeese

one person says they saw a feller with his gunbelt way down low, like kids wear there pants these days

and ya think the sky was falling

he is a good kid say some

so if here were a hoodlum, I wonder what they would say

maybe "wow, look where cas is going now"

the sky is not falling, I am happy-happy-happy the kid is a good kid

but I would not let my son do it

oooops, I never had a son

entertainment-----this is all just a dream anyways

ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.

This rule was created as a result of a B Western shooter wearing his spurs on his elbows. Not quite the same is it?

Amen to that. Luckily, the Wire isn't SASS or CAS.

Four Bucks

I have to disagree

The wire has become a very huge part of CAS

I never new what the wire was until I did a long fly trip to shoot CAS, a few years back

and when I returned folks asked me

have you seen what folks are sayin bout your trip on the wire?

SASS / CAS shooters make up the wire

now

having said that, I would say that CAS shooters at a shoot generally rock on mann

CAS shooters home at the keyboard, same shooters, well

yikes

so I think the wire is CAS, it just aint the whole sha-bang

the wire is cAS

chevy fourm are chevy gear heads

etc

I have been a wire rider ever since the return of that shoot

mileage will vary

I still love the single action shooting society

thankyou wild bunch for making it come true

So you are telling me that if I can find a single movie with a actor wearing a gunbelt low on his hip you will give up this nonsense? Here is one right here:

http://www.moviemail.com/images/large/The-Good-the-Bad-and-the-Ugly_9120-2.jpg

and here:

http://listsof.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/the-wild-bunch.jpg

and here:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JXd_RI-9LYU/TdBvH8h5cTI/AAAAAAAABuI/05RCckq01mE/s1600/Spaghetti.png

and here:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OQWzB2Kx8-I/S8VrGVJGqTI/AAAAAAAACsc/JRRjEaI-PYc/s1600/monnomestpersonne1.jpg

How many more do you want me to find for you?

BTW, here is a picture of the "anonymous" shooter the OP speaks about. As you can see, the OP's description takes a few liberties with the facts as the shooters belt is not "below his pockets" but instead is at the level of his pockets:

http://shutttterbug.instaproofs.com/store/?page=buyPrintPage&event=814281&id=210532829

Would I wear mine this way? No, but I don't see where it is unsafe, nor does it place his guns any lower than those in the photos above.

just look at my avatar, I say that works, why not, on a hot day, after all - she is probably a steller person, and it could be sold as soiled dove (kind of)

just kidding folks, but that is slippery slopes, in parts of the world that are really cold a lot of the time

Well. He don't really wear it low on his hip.

More like below his butt on his upper part of his leg would be closer to where he wears it.

Hate to see another rule just for this.

But as I was trying to point out before.

SASS HAS made a rule before on where to wear belt.

As in the SG belt being wore to high.

So don't be shocked if they make one for this being to low.

It has happened before. :huh:

Well. He don't really wear it low on his hip.

More like below his butt on his upper part of his leg would be closer to where he wears it.

Hate to see another rule just for this.

But as I was trying to point out before.

SASS HAS made a rule before on where to wear belt.

As in the SG belt being wore to high.

So don't be shocked if they make one for this being to low.

It has happened before. :huh:

I have been tolt in the past that many rules are ment for a very-very small percentage

I would state the stat, but that would go on for a sequil

Post script

shotgun belts at the location at or about the location of nipples?????????????????

just to be closer to the port of a 97, while we were fighting 38 shorts for black powder smoke, short stroke kits, punny smokeless loads, etc

SASS / CAS went through a wirlwind of change in the name of growing

a wirlwind that newer shooters, do NOT have any idea of why some lower SASS #'s share comments

yikes

as a tg, I was behind many of the rule changes, representing of all things

my clubs shooters

ya want changes

do it the hard way, real change

not just wire whinning

actually face to face talk with your TG's and other TG's when you travel shoot

Nice set of movie stills Bones Z. They actually have nothing to do with the Original Post, but heck, who doesn't like to look at movie stills.

Got any pictures from the movies (or historical ones) that show any cowboy "... wearing the belt BELOW his butt, kinda at the top of his thighs." which is what the original poster bases his topic on? You did read the OP, right.

Glanced at the thread about Tex's editorial on costuming. One of the comments had a passage from the shooters handbook about how the costuming and equipment must be worn PROPERLY, how it would have been worn in the west or a movie.

This got me to thinking about something we saw at End of Trail this year. On the Monday warm up match we shot with a shooter who was NOT wearing his gun leather properly, in our opinion. He was wearing the belt BELOW his butt, kinda at the top of his thighs. Now this guy is a top shooter-fast as hell. This had his guns at hand level when his arms were down. We thought it looked ridiculous, rather like one of these gangsta wannabes who pull their pants down to expose their underwear. Seems to me if you want your guns lower, you should use a buscadero or drop rig like we do in B western.

Anyone else seen anything like this? YES Do you share our opinion that it's innapropriate? NO if so, what (if anything) should be done? Nothing

By who? Nobody

AO

Nice set of movie stills Bones Z. They actually have nothing to do with the Original Post, but heck, who doesn't like to look at movie stills.

Got any pictures from the movies (or historical ones) that show any cowboy "... wearing the belt BELOW his butt, kinda at the top of his thighs." which is what the original poster bases his topic on? You did read the OP, right.

Show me a picture from a movie or a historical photo that shows any cowboy that is obese with a shotgun belt up around his bellybutton.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Phantom

He is on posse 5/6, first image is 8556.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL..... WTH is that? This is dang funny now...especially if you're from TX because there is noooo way that Tell ever saw this shooter. LOLOL>...hey, CC.... a big "NOT IT" to ya! LOLOLOLOL

Nice snide remark, but yes I did read the OP. If you would have done any research on your own, you would have found the same thing I did, a post and picture that showed that the OP was exaggerating for effect. Indeed, his gun belt is way down on his hips, but is certainly not below his butt/pockets. Someone in the original post mentioned that he puts a can of snuff in his rear pocket to help prevent the belt from slipping down. Kinda hard to do that if your belt is below your pockets/butt.

You also posted the rule, requiring that items be worn as they were in the old west or in B movies. I wasn't posting the stills to answer the OP, I was posting the stills in answer to your post (not sure why that would have to be explained to you). Having found evidence that western movies portrayed more than one actor wearing his gunbelt way down on his hips, just like gent that upset the OP so much, the primary reason for both the OP and you to be upset is now moot.

Now don't get me wrong.

I don't think we need no new rule.

Yes I think it looks goofy. But I look goofy a lot also.

Think folks are making it a bigger deal that it needs to be.

+1000

Two different people...wearing their belt real low.

So what...

and again, who cares if you can ride a horse or not? Irrelevant...

I suppose now we are going to get a maximum distance from the crotch rule...great...

One of the things that really bothers me about this, and the other thread, is the message they are sending to our young shooters, and new shooters. They show up, work hard, practice, and play the game within the rules. And what does it get them? Examined under a microscope for any little minute detail that someone could complain about.

For new folks, especially younger ones, just showing up and trying to get the basics of the game down amidst a bunch of old farts can be intimidating enough without adding the very real concern that they will be harassed and looked and talked down to for what they are wearing.

Very well said, Grizzly Dave.

One of the things that really bothers me about this, and the other thread, is the message they are sending to our young shooters, and new shooters. They show up, work hard, practice, and play the game within the rules. And what does it get them? Examined under a microscope for any little minute detail that someone could complain about.

For new folks, especially younger ones, just showing up and trying to get the basics of the game down amidst a bunch of old farts can be intimidating enough without adding the very real concern that they will be harassed and looked and talked down to for what they are wearing.

well said,

Two different people...wearing their belt real low.

So what...

and again, who cares if you can ride a horse or not? Irrelevant...

I suppose now we are going to get a maximum distance from the crotch rule...great...

PRESS RELEASE: "SASS distinguished itself from all other shooting sports today by adding a new rule. Designed to 'dovetail' with the previous SHOTGUN BRA rule, the new BUTT CRACK rule will attempt to save the children from possible injury and death in the name of safety and taste. It's a new 'comprehensive' approach to gun safety that just makes common sense."

I have to disagree

The wire has become a very huge part of CAS

I never new what the wire was until I did a long fly trip to shoot CAS, a few years back

and when I returned folks asked me

have you seen what folks are sayin bout your trip on the wire?

SASS / CAS shooters make up the wire

now

having said that, I would say that CAS shooters at a shoot generally rock on mann

CAS shooters home at the keyboard, same shooters, well

yikes

so I think the wire is CAS, it just aint the whole sha-bang

the wire is cAS

chevy fourm are chevy gear heads

etc

I have been a wire rider ever since the return of that shoot

mileage will vary

I still love the single action shooting society

thankyou wild bunch for making it come true

Mike...I guess what I was sayin' is that I go to a fair number of matches both big and small and I just never hear all the whining and complaining about the stuff that gets kicked around on the wire. Seems like everyone's just shootin' and having fun.

BTW...I remember the long fly trip and the posted nonsense after. Geeeeeeeze...he never lived that down! Look forward to seein' ya down the trail sometime soon Pard.

Four Bucks

Show me a picture from a movie or a historical photo that shows any cowboy that is obese with a shotgun belt up around his bellybutton.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Phantom

You really haven't read my early posts have you.

One of my points was that some of our equipment isn't historically backed.

On the other hand, you haven't seen many B-Westerns have you. A number of the sidekicks were very large in girth. And wore their gunbelts where they'd get the biggest laughs. On the other, other hand, the SASS rules have never, and most certainly can be counted on to never cover more than the outfit and equipment. Why would you choose to attack body mass as it's nowhere within the OPs or the Wild Bunch's scope of interest.

Nice snide remark, but yes I did read the OP. If you would have done any research on your own, you would have found the same thing I did, a post and picture that showed that the OP was exaggerating for effect. Indeed, his gun belt is way down on his hips, but is certainly not below his butt/pockets. Someone in the original post mentioned that he puts a can of snuff in his rear pocket to help prevent the belt from slipping down. Kinda hard to do that if your belt is below your pockets/butt.

You also posted the rule, requiring that items be worn as they were in the old west or in B movies. I wasn't posting the stills to answer the OP, I was posting the stills in answer to your post (not sure why that would have to be explained to you). Having found evidence that western movies portrayed more than one actor wearing his gunbelt way down on his hips, just like gent that upset the OP so much, the primary reason for both the OP and you to be upset is now moot.

You realize of course that your cool set of pictures isn't from B-Westerns. And that Buscedero rigs place the holster much lower for a reason. The OP's OP is about the belt being below the butt. So it obviously isn't about B-W shooters wearing their equipment. It isn't a leap of logic to suggest that anyone who wishes to game his equipment doesn't have to in order to position his pistols, but can simply enter as BW.

Since day one, the rules had a problem with people confusing what they saw at the movies with what the cowboys really did. And the Wild Bunch appears to have provided a clear and simple solution by providing BW, and clearly stating that we wear our equipment to match one or the other.

Wearing belts below the butt really has no place in this hobby. But it will if the hobby continues to allow the gamers to shout the WB down.

Archived