SASS Wire Forum

Apropriate wearing of equipment?

Tell Sackett SASS 18436

What about the rule for wearing your SG belt to high. <_<

Dang. Now we have to worry about the gun belt to low. :o

If anybody wants to feel fer my belly button, to check the height of my shotgun shell belt, tjhey gonna have to buy me dinner first!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about the rule for wearing your SG belt to high. <_<

Dang. Now we have to worry about the gun belt to low. :o

I think if you have seen it, you just may agree

it is my humble opinion that the belt or atleast pants (not undies) should cover the crack

but oh well ;)

The "worn appropriately" came about mostly because of the Classic Cowboy Category. It tried to rectify things like:

Wearing spurs on your arms

Taking a pocket watch with a full length chain then wrapping the chain around the watch, held with a rubber band, and stuffed in a shirt pocket.

Putting a string tie under a bandana to make up two of the clothing items.

These are some of the things observed at matches and brought up at the convention in 2003 or 4. The rule was applied to all categories. I know a couple of shooters who wear their belts so low that they have to use a spoon hook attached to their pant's belt buckle to keep the rig from falling off. Both are good shooters and even better cowboys. I don't know the young man in question but I take it on good authority he is also a great cowboy. As long as the rig is not going to fall off I DON'T CARE!!!!!!

Looking at the wire lately is it winter already? :unsure:

...and then Royal there are those who have that dreaded disease "noassatall" that have to have that spoon to keep their rig from becoming like gangsta underwear.

...and then Royal there are those who have that dreaded disease "noassatall" that have to have that spoon to keep their rig from becoming like gangsta underwear.

True, but I was referring to people who shoot fast and straight not like you and me. :P

Myself having a 33 inch waist don't have enough girth around the midsection to hold 25 shotshells on my belt. It aint right that those big boys can carry more shells than me. Let's think about all the stuff that did not exist prior to 1899; chinks, buscadera rigs, taco hats, double shotgun loops, batwing chaps, earthwalkers boots, pointy toed boots, snap shirts, etc. Yet, they are allowed and we want to pick on shooters for wearing their gear in a different manner than many deem acceptable. If shooters want to come out and shoot, regardless of their particular style they are welcome at our range. I've seen pictures of real cowboys, they had lace up work boots, baggy pants, a shirt, and a flat broad brim hat. Few had anything else. Perhaps we can all dress exactly like the characters in Tombstone and call our game Tombstone Action Shooting. Don't we have costume contests for those that want to step things up and look like fancy cowboys, not just plain cowboys. Do you really wonder why our numbers are dropping off?

Assassin

Myself having a 33 inch waist don't have enough girth around the midsection to hold 25 shotshells on my belt. It aint right that those big boys can carry more shells than me. Let's think about all the stuff that did not exist prior to 1899; chinks, buscadera rigs, taco hats, double shotgun loops, batwing chaps, earthwalkers boots, pointy toed boots, snap shirts, etc. Yet, they are allowed and we want to pick on shooters for wearing their gear in a different manner than many deem acceptable. If shooters want to come out and shoot, regardless of their particular style they are welcome at our range. I've seen pictures of real cowboys, they had lace up work boots, baggy pants, a shirt, and a flat broad brim hat. Few had anything else. Perhaps we can all dress exactly like the characters in Tombstone and call our game Tombstone Action Shooting. Don't we have costume contests for those that want to step things up and look like fancy cowboys, not just plain cowboys. Do you really wonder why our numbers are dropping off?

Assassin

What's a "taco hat"?

MY, my, my. Don't misunderstand my comments.

I did not name the shooter. I do not know him. I'm NOT comparing him to a "gangsta". The way he wore his RIG reminded me of them. If he or they want to wear their their stuff that way it's nothing to me. I just think it looks silly.

If this was discussed on another thread I didn't see it. Sorry. I DID see the comment on the other thread about wearing stuff properly. Wondered if I was the only one who had seen this sort of thing and do the rules apply here, or no. Or does anyone even CARE?

Just a friendly discussion, til SOME folks get into it.

If anybody wants to feel fer my belly button, to check the height of my shotgun shell belt, tjhey gonna have to buy me dinner first!

I was a new RO II & told a TG (didn't know one) that he could wear his belt there but he had to show his belly button first. Hell On Wheels 2007....he still won't shoot w/ me! Lololol...but he moved the belt.

If we get a butt crack rule....run when you see me with the timer.

I did not name the shooter. I do not know him. I'm NOT comparing him to a "gangsta". The way he wore his RIG reminded me of them. If he or they want to wear their their stuff that way it's nothing to me. I just think it looks silly.

If this was discussed on another thread I didn't see it. Sorry. I DID see the comment on the other thread about wearing stuff properly. Wondered if I was the only one who had seen this sort of thing and do the rules apply here, or no. Or does anyone even CARE?

My gawd Tell, do you really think that this thread would be "Friendly" when you make comments on a well known shooter that a LOT of folks will know who you are referring too?

Come on Tell, yer a smart guy...you know better then that.

All too often folks get on here and make statements that will inflame...and they know it will...and then when it does, they blame those that are inflamed.

Now when you make a comment like "Do you share our opinion that it's innapropriate?", and you know that the shooter your referred to will be recognized, do you really think the threads going to become a LOVEFEST?????

But of course it easier to demonize those that then come on here and voice strong opposition as "friendly discussion" destroyers.

Wow...

Phantom

TS, Obviously more folks know that particular young man than you realize. I've shot with he and his family since 1998, he's the first to offer anyone in need a hand, or assistance in any way. Yeah, his gunbelt sits a little low, and many of us wonder how he keeps his guns up. When he shoots the proof is in the pudding, he can wear his guns anywhere he wants and make us all look like novices. Perhaps if we had a few more like him we could attract more young shooters.

Assassin

I got the opportunity to shoot warm up match at eot with him at thats the first thing i noticed.He is a great shooter and a genuin person. Heck, he didnt know us from adam and he came up and talked about hunting with my dad for half an hour. But anyways...It may look silly but who cares what it looks like as long as it works for him. Im sure he doesnt wear his rig low to look "gangsta" but has the people who complain about what they look like ever think about how it may function for that person... I dont understand why people have to stir the pot up. Worry about yourself and find something better to do than stir up crap on the wire. Im going to bed now, gotta go to school in the morning and lambs to take care of after. Night and God bless - pk

I wish we had 100 just like shooter in question. He's a credit to the sport and works very hard on and off a posse. He pounded his fair share of stakes at EOT and never ever shirks a task. And if you took the time to know him you would know he was not trying to be "gangsta". In fact in the small group of elite shooters he actually sets a very good example of dressing the part. He can posse with me any day.

I wish we had 100 just like shooter in question. He's a credit to the sport and works very hard on and off a posse. He pounded his fair share of stakes at EOT and never ever shirks a task. And if you took the time to know him you would know he was not trying to be "gangsta". In fact in the small group of elite shooters he actually sets a very good example of dressing the part. He can posse with me any day.

That sums it up for me also.

CBG

Y'all know that if I was just starting to play this game and came across this thread and another one like it regarding costume requirements, I think I just might start to have second thoughts about what I was getting into.

I would strongly suggest that some people need to worry less about what others are doing and take a good long look in the mirror.

Y'all know that if I was just starting to play this game and came across this thread and another one like it regarding costume requirements, I think I just might start to have second thoughts about what I was getting into.

I would strongly suggest that some people need to worry less about what others are doing and take a good long look in the mirror.

There ya go!! +1 ;)

There are those in this sport who will Gripe an Bitch about most everthing, maybe you should be made ta wear a flag. Call it a Bitcher flag. That way tha rest of us could mark you from a distance an have a better day as a result.

RRR

For sure. Fortunately it's relatively easy to identify them, flag or not. Avoiding them can sometimes be a little more difficult.

First, you start this c'it storm. THEN, you cry "foul", when you get 'lit-up' because of what you posted. <_<

Yeah that works :rolleyes:

Carry on,

LG

"He who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw stones." I was on that posse during the warm-up match at EOT. It was not the authentic attire, marvelous attitude, amazing gun skills, or gravity defying holster positioning of the unnamed, but well known, cowboy complained about in post #1 of this thread. Instead, I was rather taken aback by another individual on that posse who, in my opinion, was defiling western tradition. I could overlook the Velcro tennis shoes, but on the firing line I thought he was pointing at the warm-up targets while either squeezing a small, flatulating rodent or was using some sort of sound suppressor on his revolvers. Anyway, not authentic to the "old west". But then I realized, this is only my personal opinion, and if I went so far as to criticize a fellow competitor, especially over something so trivial and petty, what kind of loser would that make me? Then when I walked around matches, hopefully with proper foot attire, my fellow SASS members would whisper, "There goes the bitcher - How come he's not wearing his flag?"

Should this post be deemed to contain any criticism of persons living or dead, said post is hereby retracted.

LG, You may have missed the gist of my post.

"But then I realized, this is only my personal opinion, and if I went so far as to criticize a fellow competitor, especially over something so trivial and petty, what kind of loser would that make me?"

CZX

I just give thanks that when I started in this game the interwebs were small and mostly unused by CAS players, so my introduction to SASS was face to face with real shooters and great folks.

Anyone who mistakenly judges CAS by the tone and temper of the wire is missing out on a great opportunity to meet some wonderful folks and enjoy a game that is correctly described as

the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Having reached a ripe old age I have also discovered the truth in a lesson my mother tried to teach me - it is not only okay, it is almost mandatory that you learn to become irreverant.

Life is too important to waste it on worrying about such trivial things . . .

I just wish we could get more young guns into this game, and let them figure out where it needs to go . .

SC

Ya i wore sneakers after a broken foot incident, got a couple questions but all followed my answer by" can i help ya with your cart" or " ifn ya need to sit between stages, use my cart" ....good people here, we need to remember that and do so kwhen we see get together. The warm friendly people got me here but this thread could definitely change a new shooters outlook...not just from the #1 post but everyone else blasting him..

I agree with Deuce, young man can posse with me any day........I will encourage him, build him up, guide/help him all ways

possible. Sure T's me off for anyone to do anything less with any of our young shooting cowboys/girls, they bring excitement

and more fun when they're around.

....crosscut hardy

Did any of them wear shotgun reloading belts with paired loops? Were they worn halfway up their bellies? Are there any holsters in the old west museums that are cut out so the barrel can clear "early"? Any of them strong side yet have a touch of rake that does the same?

Seems the editorial might have dug a bit deeper into the game than it did?

It really looks like much of the equipment is far less authentic than the way it's worn. Seems Tex has a valid concern and might oughta had two in fact.

Deleted (something to do with cheese)

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 10, 2013 - Inappropriate language even if not spelled out.
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 10, 2013 - Inappropriate language even if not spelled out.

Glanced at the thread about Tex's editorial on costuming. One of the comments had a passage from the shooters handbook about how the costuming and equipment must be worn PROPERLY, how it would have been worn in the west or a movie.

This got me to thinking about something we saw at End of Trail this year. On the Monday warm up match we shot with a shooter who was NOT wearing his gun leather properly, in our opinion. He was wearing the belt BELOW his butt, kinda at the top of his thighs. Now this guy is a top shooter-fast as hell. This had his guns at hand level when his arms were down. We thought it looked ridiculous, rather like one of these gangsta wannabes who pull their pants down to expose their underwear. Seems to me if you want your guns lower, you should use a buscadero or drop rig like we do in B western.

Anyone else seen anything like this? Do you share our opinion that it's innapropriate? if so, what (if anything) should be done? By who?

Why do you give a flying flip about how someone wears his gear? Is it being worn within the rules? If so, st_u and enjoy how YOU play this GAME. I personally am damn sick and tired of people that make up their own rules and get pi--ed off when you don't follow them.

Yes this is a bit profane, and yes I am angry at those that insist on ruining my day off because they have a internal need to control everyone they meet. And yes, the next one that does that to me is going to be told to FOAD.

I dont think anyone said low riding holsters were illegal

just remimber the wire is like CAS

its part entertainment

wearing items as intended is more like

boot ear rings does not replace

the

wearing of boots in a category that my require them

stuff like that

when I shoot gunfighter my pistols end up sideways by the time the 10th shot comes around

I am sure that could be misrepresented as NOT the way pistols were intended

I know

apples to concrete comparision

just sayin

I've lookin' for this picture since I first saw this topic. To quote my hero, "...so, I guess this guy wouldn't be welcome?"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpImhmJojwHtcxtUP7SFoCjsoaz04HgemYHToSnjQkYUR91-PQ

Archived