SASS Wire Forum

Apropriate wearing of equipment?

Tell Sackett SASS 18436

Glanced at the thread about Tex's editorial on costuming. One of the comments had a passage from the shooters handbook about how the costuming and equipment must be worn PROPERLY, how it would have been worn in the west or a movie.

This got me to thinking about something we saw at End of Trail this year. On the Monday warm up match we shot with a shooter who was NOT wearing his gun leather properly, in our opinion. He was wearing the belt BELOW his butt, kinda at the top of his thighs. Now this guy is a top shooter-fast as hell. This had his guns at hand level when his arms were down. We thought it looked ridiculous, rather like one of these gangsta wannabes who pull their pants down to expose their underwear. Seems to me if you want your guns lower, you should use a buscadero or drop rig like we do in B western.

Anyone else seen anything like this? Do you share our opinion that it's innapropriate? if so, what (if anything) should be done? By who?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I envision what you are saying, but my vision does not compute to the idea that this shooter could even move properly between each stage's shooting positions, rigged out as you describe him. I'd have to see a photograph to properly comment.

If you felt strongly about this, why didn't you complain to the match director about him, or are you only just now realizing that his manner of wearing his rig may not be in accordance with SASS rules?

Do you have any photos of this individual rigged out as you describe? Sounds odd.

Here we go...

It's fine.

He also wears Chaps and looks real cowboy!

He's also a top notch human being.

Gawd darnit....why bring this up??????

And Cat...you don't shoot as far as I know...so why chime in?

OY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phantom

So you are saying you personally do not like how the shooter wears his gunbelt, well within the rules, and as a result he must be made to change.

....personally do not like how the shooter______________, well within the rules, and as a result he must be made to change.

GCK, that seems to be the theme lately.

fill in the blank with

Cants his holsters

chooses his boots

wears his jeans

wears his hat

loads his ammo

makes smoke in BP classes

shoots his stage

etc.

There's no rule against it, (as has been discussed before) and while you or I may not like it, (I personally don't care and it doesn't bother me) it IS within the rules and you have no say in the matter.

You could begin a campaign to change the rules, but I doubt you'd accomplish much more than making yourself even more frustrated.

Life is too short ............

Save it for a REAL problem!!

Phantom, Creeker, and me all agreeing on the same thing! Somethin's gonna happen!! :unsure::rolleyes::lol:

There are those in this sport who will Gripe an Bitch about most everthing, maybe you should be made ta wear a flag. Call it a Bitcher flag. That way tha rest of us could mark you from a distance an have a better day as a result.

RRR

There are those in this sport who will Gripe an Bitch about most everthing, maybe you should be made ta wear a flag. Call it a Bitcher flag. That way tha rest of us could mark you from a distance an have a better day as a result.

RRR

AMEN Brother Ray!

This was hashed out for 4 pages in another tread already. Can't we find something else to quibble about?

NO, we don't need costume cops!

Hey, I remember that one...

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=206683&hl

Best part of it was Buck D Law's rule proposition somewhere around post 48 or so.

Oh, and Ray, that's not funny. Well, really what you said was true and funny, but now my monitor is covered with coffee. That's not funny.

IF you are referring to the shooter that I think you're referring to (and if I'm wrong I apologize), you are doing a huge disservice to a very fine young gentleman by comparing him to gangsta wannabes, and owe him an apology. Considering how this young gentleman has competed in quite a few major matches over the years, if the way he wears his gunbelt was against the rules someone with the authority to make that call would have said something to him long before now. I would not suggest anyone else wear their gunbelt that way, but it works just fine for this particular shooter, and it's completely his business and no one else's.

RRR

Not a bad idea........I'm thinkin' maybe a red arm band with a black crooked cross..........a heck that's all ready taken!

This was hashed out for 4 pages in another tread already. Can't we find something else to quibble about?

NO, we don't need costume cops!

+1

G(but what opinion should I have - I ain't a full time shooter like many y'all ;) ) G ~ :FlagAm:

I would need suspenders on my belt to do that. :D :D

seems like we had this discussion a while back, but that shooters gunbelt fell down. Wonder if its the same guy?????

Tell, you are probably right, I doubt many gunslingers of the old west wore their rigs thataway. But it probably aint worth arguing over. We certainly do not need "costume police" ! But, I am in agreement with Tex's editorial that we should all try to do what we can to look/dress in a more period correct way. From my saddle it adds to the fun, and thats why I'm here. On the flip side, very few old west cowboys carried 2 pistols, so we are already not portraying the cowboys in the way they actually were.

seems like we had this discussion a while back, but that shooters gunbelt fell down. Wonder if its the same guy?????

Tell, you are probably right, I doubt many gunslingers of the old west wore their rigs thataway...................................., very few old west cowboys carried 2 pistols, so we are already not portraying the cowboys in the way they actually were.

Did any of them wear shotgun reloading belts with paired loops? Were they worn halfway up their bellies? Are there any holsters in the old west museums that are cut out so the barrel can clear "early"? Any of them strong side yet have a touch of rake that does the same?

Seems the editorial might have dug a bit deeper into the game than it did?

It really looks like much of the equipment is far less authentic than the way it's worn. Seems Tex has a valid concern and might oughta had two in fact.

Don't know the shooter you speck of but have seen this at other shoots. Other than not seeing how he keeps the belt from falling to the grond I never had a problem with it.

I do the same thing in a different way. I have shattered both collor bones and I don't like to bring my arms above shooting level. I drop my holsters 3 inchs, makes drawing my guns a whole lot easier.

Did any of them wear shotgun reloading belts with paired loops? Were they worn halfway up their bellies? Are there any holsters in the old west museums that are cut out so the barrel can clear "early"? Any of them strong side yet have a touch of rake that does the same?

Seems the editorial might have dug a bit deeper into the game than it did?

It really looks like much of the equipment is far less authentic than the way it's worn. Seems Tex has a valid concern and might oughta had two in fact.

I do have it on good authority that Doc Holliday used a Rugged Gear Guncart just like mine to haul his guns to the OK corral..... :D

I know a couple young, very good shooters who won't shoot anymore because of comments like this. I am tired of old farts who have nothing better to do that complain about the younger kids (mainly because they are kicking their butts). Then they can't figure out why more young people don't want to take up the sport.

RB

I know a couple young, very good shooters who won't shoot anymore because of comments like this. I am tired of old farts who have nothing better to do that complain about the younger kids (mainly because they are kicking their butts). Then they can't figure out why more young people don't want to take up the sport.

RB

Yep!

It's like some folks sit around with nutthin better to do then think of things that piss them off...and then they want to tell the world about it.

Phantom

You know, if the 'old folks' ---- hmmm like myself :( did not have such a dang big belly, we could wear our guns low like that too. For, myself, I'm just plain jealous. My rig would be pushed right down my legs by the weight of my belly! :blush::blush::blush:

I bet you dollars to donuts those that have a problem with (insert whine here), don't have the maracas' to tell the shooter what their issue is. Just say'n. If not, let it go cowboy

Hoss, Did Holiday use a golf cart to pull that gun cart to the OK corral???? LOL

naw, thats what he kept Big Nose Kate around for!

Well. It does look stupid.

And not real sure it really helps them all that much if at all

Looks more like it would slow them down running.

BUT.

My belly sticking out in front looks pretty stupid to. :blink:

Sackett -

As you have seen, nerves seem to be a bit raw around here lately, I hope you have your asbestos underwear on. :D

Recalling previous discussions here, the 'worn appropriately' verbage is primarily applied to costume category specific items. For example spurs should be on your boots, not dangling from your belt, sleeve garters should be on your sleeves, not tied to your hat, and so forth.

Can it, or should it be applied to a gun belt? Opinions vary. I don't think so.

Now it could be argued that there are specific restrictions on where a shotgun belt may be worn, but in my mind those relate to the fact that wearing a 'shot gun bra' would result in a competitive advantage that could not otherwise be achieved within the rules. As you stated, there are other ways to get the holsters lower.

There are a number of shooters who wear their gunbelts as you describe. Primarily younger shooters, but I have seem folks in silver senior doing it as well.

As I have often said, part of the beauty of this game, is that there are many ways to enjoy it. And in my opinion that has been one of the primary reasons it has enjoyed the success that it has. If we as a group of individuals continue to seek to micro manage every detail to meet each our own individual wants then it will serve only to damage the sport.

I shot on his posse at EOT and I agree, it does look different, and I told him so, and his answer..."That's where I like it", he and his family are some of the best people in the sport, he is one of the best in the sport, maybe a little nutty but far from "Gangsta"....Im thinkin of tryin this low hanging method cause it sho does work good for him!!

I shot on his posse at EOT and I agree, it does look different, and I told him so, and his answer..."That's where I like it", he and his family are some of the best people in the sport, he is one of the best in the sport, maybe a little nutty but far from "Gangsta"....Im thinkin of tryin this low hanging method cause it sho does work good for him!!

LOLOL... I can see the train wreck and yard sale now... all the way from the shotgun staging to wherever you put the rifle...nothing but leather and hardware. In my case it would be a tangle of leather, spurs, guns all over the stage.

I think wherever you wear your holsters is definitely dependent on your build! Don't think he's going to worry much about his belly.... oh, that's right... he doesn't have one.

The "worn appropriately" came about mostly because of the Classic Cowboy Category. It tried to rectify things like:

Wearing spurs on your arms

Taking a pocket watch with a full length chain then wrapping the chain around the watch, held with a rubber band, and stuffed in a shirt pocket.

Putting a string tie under a bandana to make up two of the clothing items.

These are some of the things observed at matches and brought up at the convention in 2003 or 4. The rule was applied to all categories. I know a couple of shooters who wear their belts so low that they have to use a spoon hook attached to their pant's belt buckle to keep the rig from falling off. Both are good shooters and even better cowboys. I don't know the young man in question but I take it on good authority he is also a great cowboy. As long as the rig is not going to fall off I DON'T CARE!!!!!!

Looking at the wire lately is it winter already? :unsure:

Glanced at the thread about Tex's editorial on costuming. One of the comments had a passage from the shooters handbook about how the costuming and equipment must be worn PROPERLY, how it would have been worn in the west or a movie.

This got me to thinking about something we saw at End of Trail this year. On the Monday warm up match we shot with a shooter who was NOT wearing his gun leather properly, in our opinion. He was wearing the belt BELOW his butt, kinda at the top of his thighs. Now this guy is a top shooter-fast as hell. This had his guns at hand level when his arms were down. We thought it looked ridiculous, rather like one of these gangsta wannabes who pull their pants down to expose their underwear. Seems to me if you want your guns lower, you should use a buscadero or drop rig like we do in B western.

Anyone else seen anything like this? Do you share our opinion that it's innapropriate? if so, what (if anything) should be done? By who?

yup

I have seen it, and it is "just not right"

but some may call me a tadd bit ol fashioned from time to time

I do NOT like seeing other guys under wear, nope, nottt, no flippen way :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Archived