SASS Wire Forum

Tex's costuming editorial

Dash Caliber

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, forgetting the part about Wrangler Jeans Vs Levis....

Is there anything that needs to be done to help the second part that Tex and Justice Lilly Kate addresses....Folks showing up to the awards in ball caps?

Thats up to the local clubs at annuals. Regional and above....SASS. You can bet there will be some new rules for them.

Is there anything that needs to be done to help the second part that Tex and Justice Lilly Kate addresses....Folks showing up to the awards in ball caps?

Don't know where that is happening.

But I would blame the club for letting it happen. And the club could fix it in a hurry if they wanted.

Setting dress standards for awards ceremonies, especially if not a night time dress up function, is a double edged sword. Some folks that would have been there anyway will likely still attend. Many will find it better to get ready for a long trip, sometimes several hundred miles, while scores are being tallied following the match. In weather extremes, these folks might like to put on more comfortable clothes for the long trip home and might leave without attending an awards ceremony, especially if it means to delay changing their clothes. SASS is trying to increase attendance at awards ceremonies, but if the award ceremony attendance rules become harder for many shooters to meet, then attenance will not increase and likely decrease. At state matches and above I am sure SASS is more worried about what the winners photos might show. One easy solution might to be only allow awards to be accepted by folks considered properly dressed and others attending the ceremony can just pick up their awards at the end of the ceremony and not be part of any photos.

So wearing Wah Makers and Frontier Classics are okay? Their labels are showing and they were not made in the 1880's (at least I don't think so) SO...what exactly are you trying to say? It's okay to wear Levi's with their label (They are anti-gun BTW) but not Wranglers, but Wah Makers and Frontier Classics are okay??? I just got a headache, I think you guys over there at the WB don't know exactly WHAT you're saying!!

Rye

What they are saying is the folks from Wah Makers and Frontier Classics advertize in the Cowboy Chronicle, but Wrangler doesn't.

None of the pants we are able to purchase is 100% period correct. The average modern American has a bigger rear end than his ancestors. The pant makers, including Wah Maker and Frontier Classics, have had to adjust. To the extent they haven't they suffer lousy sales, and Tex feels the need to browbeat us into buying their stuff.

Maybe Tex should learn how to sell. Browbeating isn't a very good sales technique.

As to the ball cap thing, I haven't seen ball caps at night time awards ceremonies, but I wouldn't doubt they are worn on occasion. The way to handle that is privately. An editorial in the Chronicle is just going to upset people.

My pards and pardettes were right. I shouldn't have posted on this thread. I should have kept my mouth shut and not said anything. Why are they right .... because they told me that I would be attacked, vilified, bemoaned, and generally dismissed as "stoooopid" in the words of Phantom. Whatever happened to stating one's opinion (First Amendment right) and then a calm, reasonable, low-key debate or discussion take place? No wonder the Judge and I gave up reading the Wire several years ago. Our BP doesn't need any help or encouragement.

Kate

My pards and pardettes were right. I shouldn't have posted on this thread. I should have kept my mouth shut and not said anything. Why are they right .... because they told me that I would be attacked, vilified, bemoaned, and generally dismissed as "stoooopid" in the words of Phantom. Whatever happened to stating one's opinion (First Amendment right) and then a calm, reasonable, low-key debate or discussion take place? No wonder the Judge and I gave up reading the Wire several years ago. Our BP doesn't need any help or encouragement.

Kate

I disagree. You are entitled to your opinion and you expressed it well. I don't think you have been villified by anyone. Nobody has called you stoooopid. I for one am happy you posted.

Lily Kate:

yep, I was glad to see your post. And I don't think it was a stoooopid post (Phantom don't use spell check.. :) )

But, I must admit that often times I do feel alittle stoooopid after I've posted a comment and wish I had not posted anything. It happens sometimes.

And there are those post that helped some folks alot.

Keep up the good work!

..........Widder

Kate

Kate,

I feel your pain. Imagine how I feel. I just did a post that said I liked Tex's editorial and I even got called out on my faith. Looking over the posts since your original I only saw that Rye Miles gave you some grief and I know him to be a fine gentleman. I'm certain he is not the kind to purposely offend. The problem with this form of communication is that the true context or tone is not accurately communicated. And there a few who think that being the loudest most aggressive typist makes them the winner. That can become contagious. Yet I must admit I do enjoy giving them back a "satirical commentary" and watching their macho response knowing they have know idea of the context as well or even the meaning of the word satire. But if I created a thread in which you as a woman feel like you were disrespected, I am ashamed for us cowboys as that should never be our way and I can only apoligize for me, as that was not my intent. I would ask that if you have the ears of the powers that be that they be reminded that there are some issues in which democracy will only lead to chaos. Leadership sometimes requires compromise...sometimes not. I am constantly reminded on this forum of people at work who complained most loudly that their way was the only way and if they didn't get it they were going to leave the organization and it would certainly collapse. So they slam the door and 90 days later the company is bigger and stronger and nobody can remember their name. Please continue to use the wire. The organization needs the experience of the smaller badge numbers with mature and reasonable intellects. So many have been run off this wire by the loudmouths that it barely resembles all the wonderful, kind, lawabiding, family patriots that I shoot with at my local clubs. DC

Kate

Kate, I know what you mean, I've had to step away from this thread several times to calm my BP.

It is clear that many of us are passionate about this game, I know that I am, and obviously you are as well. This same passion that is good for the game, can also lead to heated discussions when opposing view points surface.

The written word can be very cutting. For example, when I read Tex's latest editorial, the words 'just don't get it' which he used several times leapt out from the printed page and cut me. To me those words were saying "you are obviously stupid and can't grasp the simplest concept." Is that what he meant? I have no idea, I have not conversed with him to ask. But I certainly do not think it was a stretch to read it that way given the context and repetition of the subject matter.

I appreciate all that you, the Judge, Tex, Cat, and others have done to create and grow this game, but I won't always agree with you. If I offended you in any way with my comments, apologize, that was not my intent.

I hope to see you down the trail, until then, watch yer top knot (especially on the wire :D )

Grizz

Kate,

I feel your pain. Imagine how I feel. I just did a post that said I liked Tex's editorial and I even got called out on my faith. Looking over the posts since your original I only saw that Rye Miles gave you some grief and I know him to be a fine gentleman. I'm certain he is not the kind to purposely offend. The problem with this form of communication is that the true context or tone is not accurately communicated. And there a few who think that being the loudest most aggressive typist makes them the winner. That can become contagious. Yet I must admit I do enjoy giving them back a "satirical commentary" and watching their macho response knowing they have know idea of the context as well or even the meaning of the word satire. But if I created a thread in which you as a woman feel like you were disrespected, I am ashamed for us cowboys as that should never be our way and I can only apoligize for me, as that was not my intent. I would ask that if you have the ears of the powers that be that they be reminded that there are some issues in which democracy will only lead to chaos. Leadership sometimes requires compromise...sometimes not. I am constantly reminded on this forum of people at work who complained most loudly that their way was the only way and if they didn't get it they were going to leave the organization and it would certainly collapse. So they slam the door and 90 days later the company is bigger and stronger and nobody can remember their name. Please continue to use the wire. The organization needs the experience of the smaller badge numbers with mature and reasonable intellects. So many have been run off this wire by the loudmouths that it barely resembles all the wonderful, kind, lawabiding, family patriots that I shoot with at my local clubs. DC

Seriously...do you know how funny this comes across?

There was a grand lady that help raise me that used the phrase "What I see is Me" when one of her "Kids" would say something negative towards others. Most of the time, it made us realize something about us...and we grew from it. Although we would always role our eyes when she said it.

Perhaps you were never told this when you were young.

I think as far as dress standards go, I see an up-trend in folks getting dressed up. We DO have a few that don't like to stay in "Character"...and that's too bad. If the membership as a whole thinks that this issue warrants action, draw it up and make a proposal. I would obviously suggest that if a proposal is drawn, that it keeps in mind that this game has been successful because it has been open/flexible/inviting...etc, etc regarding the dress requirements. Fantasy game...it is...but yes, there needs to be minimums and those minimums must be enforced. I vote that things are fine as is.

Phantom

As best as I can remember, the last few big matches I've attended this was covered in the shooters meeting and some on the application. Basically said "Please do not accept awards or stand in for photos unless in costume" Can't recall it ever being a problem :huh: Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

As best as I can remember, the last few big matches I've attended this was covered in the shooters meeting and some on the application. Basically said "Please do not accept awards or stand in for photos unless in costume" Can't recall it ever being a problem :huh: Good Luck :)

Yep!

Sounds like we have a winner!

Kate

No ma'am...hope you didn't see any vilifying on my part. I just have not seen the problem that Tex expressed here in Michigan...well...at least at the couple clubs I been to. RJ Law and Deuce and MANY others lead by example out in these parts and run a tight ship. Sorry if other parts are allowing these t shirts and ball cap situation, but great assured it ain't here.

Respectfully ~ GG

Seriously...do you know how funny this comes across?

There was a grand lady that help raise me that used the phrase "What I see is Me" when one of her "Kids" would say something negative towards others. Most of the time, it made us realize something about us...and we grew from it. Although we would always role our eyes when she said it.

Perhaps you were never told this when you were young.

I think as far as dress standards go, I see an up-trend in folks getting dressed up. We DO have a few that don't like to stay in "Character"...and that's too bad. If the membership as a whole thinks that this issue warrants action, draw it up and make a proposal. I would obviously suggest that if a proposal is drawn, that it keeps in mind that this game has been successful because it has been open/flexible/inviting...etc, etc regarding the dress requirements. Fantasy game...it is...but yes, there needs to be minimums and those minimums must be enforced. I vote that things are fine as is.

Phantom

Seriously? Did I say anything negative? I see nothing accusatory in my original post. Why are you writing this to me? Send this to Tex or the Judge! Tex wrote the article. I didn't. I totally agree with your last paragraph but I thinK I'll up my game a little. Is that OK with you boy. You ain't my daddy.

I don't get to go to a lot of matches,not near as many as I wish I could.I have only seen two people that were not dressed proper,both were just there to watch but we talked them into shooting after going over some rules.Not both want to join and start shooting.Sass sure don't want to start trying to run people off.I dress for me,but I would not care of someone came in jeans.This game is too damm much fun to run people off.This has way to many post about people that play with in the rules,Why not just go have fun,dress to the top for monthlies if you want,Don't knock people that are within the rules.

Seriously? Did I say anything negative? I see nothing accusatory in my original post. Why are you writing this to me? Send this to Tex or the Judge! Tex wrote the article. I didn't. I totally agree with your last paragraph but I thinK I'll up my game a little. Is that OK with you boy. You ain't my daddy.

"... And there a few who think that being the loudest most aggressive typist makes them the winner. That can become contagious. Yet I must admit I do enjoy giving them back a "satirical commentary" and watching their macho response knowing they have know idea of the context as well or even the meaning of the word satire."

Try hard now to understand my comment...try hard...or don't, I don't care.

And for calling me "Boy"...that's not very "Christian" of you.

But...who am I to judge...?

And what's with the "Ain't your Daddy" thing???? That's kinda...weird. But again, even though that don't sound too Christian too me...who am I to judge?

Phantom

I was really hoping to get post #300 but I guess I jumped in too early.

No other value in this thread than trying for a good number.

Yea!!!! I did it!.

I just feel sorry for the Rifle Man.

Poor Chuck Connors.

He would not be welcome at SASS matches.

Not with them Wranglers on. And them sleeves rolled up.

It really is getting to be a sad thing.

"... And there a few who think that being the loudest most aggressive typist makes them the winner. That can become contagious. Yet I must admit I do enjoy giving them back a "satirical commentary" and watching their macho response knowing they have know idea of the context as well or even the meaning of the word satire."

Try hard now to understand my comment...try hard...or don't, I don't care.

And for calling me "Boy"...that's not very "Christian" of you.

But...who am I to judge...?

And what's with the "Ain't your Daddy" thing???? That's kinda...weird. But again, even though that don't sound too Christian too me...who am I to judge?

Phantom

Ah ha..I knew it...you didn't like my reference to Faith in my original post....speaking of original posts ..the quote above was not my original as I stated. It is from a later post not even directed to you but YOU adopted it as directed to you...Took that blame on yourself. Christians call that conviction..powerful thing...as for the boy thing...well my bad...but in my opinion you are kinda rude to your elders so in my book you earned the title.. As for the daddy thing ..its a local saying that means quit talking to me like you are so much more experienced that you know what's best for me. You would need to be 77 to pull that off. The book of Mathew has clear 3 step instruction are how to deal with people who ;love to argue and be disruptive in the church...In my world...I'm past that with you. I fear you are on your way to step 3 with SASS. But I don't judge you. I just don't like you. I feel your attitude is disruptive. Seek life in your own way and I'll do the same. But I won't back down to you or be talked over. I can keep this up till they throw me off or the mods shut it down . Sorry brother, but you succeded in making my fangs come out. See Christians aren't perfect..by definition the forgiven can't be.

Kate

I don't see it . Rye Miles last sentence may have been written out of frustration but rather than answer his legitimate questions you just dismiss them . I think most of this thread has been low key but if someone states their opinion they should be ready to offer some reasonable explanation to why one brand of work jean is ok and one isn't . Look and read all the post on this thread and you will see the main point is " Why is there any problem playing within the rules " . A debate is what you have here , join in and see if you can sway some votes . So far I see very little support for Tex's article and we are the customers . You know the sayn , The customer is ...........

Ah ha..I knew it...you didn't like my reference to Faith in my original post....speaking of original posts ..the quote above was not my original as I stated. It is from a later post not even directed to you but YOU adopted it as directed to you...Took that blame on yourself. Christians call that conviction..powerful thing...as for the boy thing...well my bad...but in my opinion you are kinda rude to your elders so in my book you earned the title.. As for the daddy thing ..its a local saying that means quit talking to me like you are so much more experienced that you know what's best for me. You would need to be 77 to pull that off. The book of Mathew has clear 3 step instruction are how to deal with people who ;love to argue and be disruptive in the church...In my world...I'm past that with you. I fear you are on your way to step 3 with SASS. But I don't judge you. I just don't like you. I feel your attitude is disruptive. Seek life in your own way and I'll do the same. But I won't back down to you or be talked over. I can keep this up till they throw me off or the mods shut it down . Sorry brother, but you succeded in making my fangs come out. See Christians aren't perfect..by definition the forgiven can't be.

No...yer wrong. I know you like to think you've got it figured out...but you don't. Mentioning Faith has nothing to do with it.

The "Boy" reference was just a lowly comment...good on you.

Funny comment about the "Daddy" thing...and again, give the "What I see is me" some thought.

Those that don't argue and question are in my opinion...Sheep...no pun intended.

You think I'm disruptive...you don't like me...that does not surprise me. I could easily deduce from your posts that you don't like ANYONE to question you...is that right...DADDY?

So I've had disagreements with you...and now you're telling my your "Fangs" are out. Wow...scary...kinda like the devil....scary.

And why on earth you think I'd want you to back down...is beyond me. Do whatever you want.

And what you also need to learn is that Christian bible chapters/verse/etc are rather meaningless to those that are not Christian.

Oy.

Dash, dress to the nines, enjoy shooting, and feel free to express your opinions. I'm with you. I don't really understand why a few have attacked you for having an opinion. Let them play the game however they want.

Dash, dress to the nines, enjoy shooting, and feel free to express your opinions. I'm with you. I don't really understand why a few have attacked you for having an opinion. Let them play the game however they want.

AH HA!!!!!

read the OP...then tell me how it instills the idea of "Play the game however they want".

and I could go on...but I'm getting tired...must be getting old...for a "Boy".

Ha!

So wearing Wah Makers and Frontier Classics are okay? Their labels are showing and they were not made in the 1880's (at least I don't think so) SO...what exactly are you trying to say? It's okay to wear Levi's with their label (They are anti-gun BTW) but not Wranglers, but Wah Makers and Frontier Classics are okay??? I just got a headache, I think you guys over there at the WB don't know exactly WHAT you're saying!!

Rye

Sorry for offending anyone at the WB, but I think my point about Wah Makers and FC and Wranglers is valid! Jeans are jeans and since they're legal then what more is there to say about it??

Rye :excl:

You all do know this is the Internet, right?

Home of Keyboard Courage, and where Fools Go To Prosper?

I spent the weekend shooting a terrific annual match, with some great folks, terrific stages, and good cooking. I didn't want to come home. THAT's the real world. Not your keyboard. I saw everything from top hats to jeans. Never heard a peep about the costuming.

Cheers,

FJT

Oh well young man..we don't even agree to disagree, but you know as little of me as I know of you..so I say your wrong in that civility is not being a sheep...no offence taken on the pun...Being respectful in your disagreement is welcome..its your argumentative tone that makes me think you are trying to be a cyber-bully...Tell you what... I'll look real hard in the mirror....and the next time you respond to a post try just giving and stating what your opinion is without all that cocky the other guy's opinion is wrong stuff...you'll have your opinion..I'll have mine..there you go...Civil Democracy at work

Sheesh!

This thread has gone on long enough.

I only got to page 6 before I was tired of reading the same thing over and over. (It seemed that way to me.)

From the Guidelines, "Closing a Topic: Procedural SASS Wire Moderators have the authority to Close Topics and are directed to do so when the message: • Is beating a dead horse; • Is instigating in nature; • Contains good and valuable information but is heading in a non-productive direction; • Point is clearly made, both sides had their say ..."

I'm not saying you can't continue to discuss this topic, if you do so without insulting others. It has gone so far that the insults are taking it in that non-productive direction. Maybe a fresh start will "clear the air."

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS I just read the last post and am glad to give Justice Lily Kate the last word.

Archived