space suit (that looks awkward)

flying suit for base jumpers

nascar suits

or hobbies, entertainment competitions etc

what the hec

why not

Do drivel threads get killed off? After 1500 posts maybe LOL :D

GG

2000 is the magic number based on post count alone. I doubt this one makes it that far. No, if this one gets axed it will be due to ill tempers, and the like.

The Rifleman always had his sleeves rolled up to past his elbows and wore jeans with a belt. If you dressed like him you wouldn't be ILLEGAL but you couldn't shoot B-Western!! :wacko: Rye

Yeah but Rye....could you use a large loop rifle? :blink:

Can we find something else to argue about now...PLEASE?? :D

Pretty pretty please with sarsaparilla on top???? :D:D

Calico Mary, you bring up the topic and I'm sure we can all pile on all the wisdom we possess on the topic. And a few of US will even post a couple crazy items.

Rugers are faster than Colts!

;)

..........Widder

I think your Avatar is wearing one of them double breasted shirts!

:o

..........Widder

its about time we got back towards entertainment

widdow

after my many mile trip and spending several days with ya

we may not agree to agree on everything

but what the heck

you and I had one heck of a time at a regionial shoot that dont even exist anymore

ya gotta love the old days

even of some other dont

thanks for takin care of me at that shoot

sharin gf ideals, introducin me to the east cost feller and such

cover your ears widdow

thanks to the feller that shared moonshine at the koolaid awards

I never touched the stuff

but the offer rocked

heck yes

I tried it

they dont make that stuff in Nevada folks :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

wow who can teach me

I need more income these days :huh:

MM:

yep, we had a GREAT time. You got to meet the famous Ottaway Smith. Remember him?

We gotta eat breakfast with Lassiter AND all 3 of us got to shoot on the same posse.

Lassiter introduced you and me to the beautiful Katlin Rose who seem to go speechless at the introduction.

To tell the truth, I was kinda speechless myowndangself..... ;)

What a pleasant memory.

Maybe one of these days, we'll be able to do it again.

..........Widder

Friends and SASS Members:

Just so you know, ALL Wild Bunch partners agreed and approved Tex's article. Costuming is really lacking at the major matches. The Wild Bunch isn't asking members to go the route of NCOWS ... just that members dress appropriately at matches .... especially major matches. Wranglers (while I love them and find them comfortable) were NOT around during our time period. Levi's were. I have bought Lady Wrangler jeans; taken the labels off; sewed buttons on front and back (buttons that would pass for our time period) and worn suspenders with them. How difficult is that? Baseball caps have no place at SASS matches when shooting or at banquets and awards ceremonies. Short-sleeved, snap shirts with modern straw hats should also not be worn .... especially by our champions. There are costuming rules/guidelines ... and yes ... rules can be interpreted many ways; however, dressing the part of your alias ... dressing in costuming that represents the "Cowboy Era" ... IMHO ... is not too much to ask. Just my view from the saddle ... and I've been in the SASS/CAS saddle for many years.

Kate

Does post #245 constitute using a pair 45s in SASS? What if I'm wearing Wranglers when I post this? Couldn't find it in the rule book.

Edit, Darn it, Gunner got 245.

LOL...I. shoot a pair of 45's incidentally :D

GG

I think your Avatar is wearing one of them double breasted shirts!

:o

..........Widder

What about the children? What about the rooooools? What about the avatar awards ceremony? MODERATOR! MODERATOR! WB~ OMG! Mad Mike is at it again! Someone flag this for the NSA.... has the IRS been called? Oh...nevermind ....they're probably on the way with DHS now. :o

Will someone wake me up? I think I just dreamed that Wranglers are not western but Levis are... what about my Ranchwears?..... will we get an approved brand/logo list? I never liked that George Strait look anyway....tooo.....rodeo... and that's just NOT going to work anymore 'round h'year...ya h'year? :blink:

Does the PRCA know they're not cowboy yet? Did someone forget the winkie? ;)

You read it right here first; QUICK! All shooters to Classic Cowboy before you are MDQ'd for wrong belt loop/ suspender combinations. HEY GHOST! This could be our big chance....ya know... never let a crisis go to waste.

Do we really want all these refugees from the Redundant Categories? Some of those Bucaroos are fast and we're having enough trouble beating Tbone. :lol::lol::D

Ok, I wasn't going to say anything, but I can't help myself. I really don't see what all the fuss is about with Tex and the WB. I looked it up and wranglers were actually invented around 1897. And with all the cowboys really wearing them in the old west, what's the big deal? Not only did the real cowboys wear them, but B Western movies and TV shows had cowboys wore them as well. So I'm thinking they should all get over it, we try to dress cowboy, and for the most part we do ok. I'm sorry if the merchants aren't making the money they think they should, and yes I do my part to help them, maybe they should make their product a little more affordable to the average shooter.

I think I am seeing a part of what the WB is saying here.

There is currently no penalty if you show up to the awards banquet in a ball cap.

There are already rules for not allowing males to wear short sleeves shirts and ball caps on the firing line because they are outlawed equipment. The penalty for using outlawed equipment on the firing line is already listed in the rules.

Just no rule for what punishment should come to a shooter if they wear it to a non-shooting function - like the awards. The rules say that you should not do it, but there is no punishment. What should the punishment be? Refuse to give them their award? How do you punish someone who shows up to the awards wearing illegal equipment if they do not qualify for an award in the first place? They have still messed up the experience for everyone else just with their presence in illegal equipment. So what do we do? I'm sure the TGs can get together and sort it out.

Still don't agree with the Wrangler thing though because modern jeans(post 1940) with belt loops are obviously B-western no matter the manufacturer. The modern wrangler 13MWZ was introduced in 1947. But if I remember right, the Duke wore off the shelf Levi 501s in stagecoach in 1939.

And I almost forgot, yes I do shoot a costume driven category, I shoot classic cowgirl, so I have to be careful in all aspects. When I shot at EOT this year even found out that I needed 2 garters not just one, so you should be sure and read and then reread the rules.

So...cutting the label off of Wranglers are necessary since they arent "period correct" But you can cut the label off and add suspender buttons and be fine.

How long has WahMaker and Frontier Classics...and other companys been around?

I do agree with wearing the appropriate clothing to the awards banquet.

Actually Chula Kat, "Wranglers" were introduced in 1947.

1947 - Wrangler authentic western jeans, designed by celebrity
tailor Rodeo Ben, are introduced to the American consumer. Professional rodeo
cowboys Jim Shoulders, Bill Linderman and Freckles Brown wear-test the 13MWZ and
endorse the Wrangler name for durability, quality and authenticity.

Before that they made bib overalls.

Make a penalty for not dressing right at the awards ceremony...yeah! That should motivate folks to stay around for the event instead of hookin' up and haulin' their belt loops home.

Maybe we could go all the way and make it "MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN".

Griff, the wrangler brand had been around before that. Just their traditional cowboy jean, model 13MWZ, came out that year.

But even the 501 from Levi has evolved over the years. The modern Levi 501 was introduced in the 80s. The 1980s.

It is also important to note that the term jeans is only about 50 years old prior to that, they were referred to as overalls or waist overalls. Not to be confused with bibb overalls. I think I have read more about the history of duck and then denim overalls in the past 48 hours than I ever wanted to know!

Just let me know how this all turns out....

Maybe someone will tell me what company I need to be buying pants from to keep everyone happy. Any particular brand hat ya'll want me to wear? And can I only wear pearl snap shirts if Im shooting B Western? Heck, maybe I should shoot B Western....at least then I can wear my jeans.......yep, makes sense to me :blink:

Griff, the wrangler brand had been around before that. Just their traditional cowboy jean, model 13MWZ, came out that year.

But even the 501 from Levi has evolved over the years. The modern Levi 501 was introduced in the 80s. The 1980s.

It is also important to note that the term jeans is only about 50 years old prior to that, they were referred to as overalls or waist overalls. Not to be confused with bibb overalls. I think I have read more about the history of duck and then denim overalls in the past 48 hours than I ever wanted to know!

I am sorry to bust yer bubble, but I have been wearin Levi 501s for a whole lot longer then the 1980s. I started wearin em about age 4 or 5 (and am about to turn 66 this year.) When I would buy them at end of summer when I was in high school (class of 65) I got em at the JC Penny store for $3.98 a pair.

but I don't wear em in my cowboy shootin...

curley

I do wear a pair of the Hamilton Dry Goods '73 jean reproductions, and I have owned some modern 501s as well. But while my '73 jean has been to the range and my others haven't, I cannot, for the life of me, see where my modern 501s and Wranglers are not as appropriate for B-Western attire as my '73 jeans are for the old west look.

What I was trying to say, and maybe I did not do a good job of it, is that the Levi 501 traces its lineage back to 1873. However, the jean itself has gone through many evolutions since then. They still call 'em all 501s, but they ain't the same pant much like a 2013 ford mustang ain't the same as a 1966 mustang. There is even a collector line of 501 jean that you can buy where they will make you a pair of 'em from the various eras.

The pair of 501s you got in 65 are designed, cut, and made different than the 501s that you will buy today. There was even a 501 design change in 1968 that would have been different from the jeans you purchased in the early 60's. Collectors, and yes, there is such a thing, are also going to pay a lot more for the vintage jean because of it, too.

What I am trying to get it as it shouldn't matter that your 501s are different now than they were in the 1870's or 1880's. It also should not matter that the pair of Levis that the Duke wore in Stagecoach are different than the 501s that you buy today. You can sew some buttons on a pair of Levis but it doesn't make the rest of the construction anywhere near a pair of jeans made in the 1870's or 1880's. And just because the current popular wrangler design originated in 1947 doesn't make 'em any less appropriate for B-Western as a current pair of 501s designed and manufactured since the 1980s as they are both modern cut jeans with belt loops.

At this pont, the Levi vs Wrangler arguement is the same as the Ruger vs Colt arguement. Neither of those dogs hunt and I cannot see how it does, unless someone can convince me differently.

If Levis are allowable to be worn...Wranglers or other ' same look' jeans can be worn.

To imply Levi is allowable and Wrangler is not is, as Phantom might say, stoopid.

G( ..my 2 cent drivel) G

Friends and SASS Members:

Just so you know, ALL Wild Bunch partners agreed and approved Tex's article. Costuming is really lacking at the major matches. The Wild Bunch isn't asking members to go the route of NCOWS ... just that members dress appropriately at matches .... especially major matches. Wranglers (while I love them and find them comfortable) were NOT around during our time period. Levi's were. I have bought Lady Wrangler jeans; taken the labels off; sewed buttons on front and back (buttons that would pass for our time period) and worn suspenders with them. How difficult is that? Baseball caps have no place at SASS matches when shooting or at banquets and awards ceremonies. Short-sleeved, snap shirts with modern straw hats should also not be worn .... especially by our champions. There are costuming rules/guidelines ... and yes ... rules can be interpreted many ways; however, dressing the part of your alias ... dressing in costuming that represents the "Cowboy Era" ... IMHO ... is not too much to ask. Just my view from the saddle ... and I've been in the SASS/CAS saddle for many years.

Kate

So wearing Wah Makers and Frontier Classics are okay? Their labels are showing and they were not made in the 1880's (at least I don't think so) SO...what exactly are you trying to say? It's okay to wear Levi's with their label (They are anti-gun BTW) but not Wranglers, but Wah Makers and Frontier Classics are okay??? I just got a headache, I think you guys over there at the WB don't know exactly WHAT you're saying!!

Rye

Besides the label, what is the difference in looks between Wrangler and Levi jeans.

The stitching on the pocket is different. The 501 has a button fly.

Can anyone tell me what brand of Jeans Chuck Connors wore in The Rifleman?

http://www.riflemanconnors.com/bloopers/images/wrangler_jeans.jpg

In post 217 by a great fellow to shoot with named Jack, he posted a fine article on dress from another post. Soooo..take a few of those type articles...add some photographic examples and mix that up with the highly exalted rule book, get the WB and the TG,s to do that management thing and Voila!......

You got your official SASS Cowboy Dress and Costuming Handbook and Guidelines...That ought to keep some people busy over the winter...everybody happy? GOOD!..Next item...

BINGO.

I was pretty sure it was Wranglers. And was going to say something about that earlier.

but was not 100% sure.

I have not seen a specific model of jeans (i.e. 501) discussed as legal, only the mfg, Levi versus Wrangler. Levi makes several models of jeans that have zippers that look identical to Wrangler jeans. and would not be considered designer jeans. I certainly hope we never get to the point of checking pants to see if they have buttons or zippers.

No, but my wife says he looked damn good in them....like me... I would bet they were Levi's but ole Chuck was not a small or fat man. Good to hear from you Jack...I always enjoyed shooting and cutting up with you..I may have been another alias then. ..Liked your post in #217..who would have thunk it?...Always thought your style of dress had an acuracy about it...So I think we should nominate you as the official SASS costuming advisor...It pays nothing and you instantly will be hated by half of the cowboys on the wire... But it will be rewarding..if you live through it...and you get to leave a legacy..come on brother..do you accept?

Next thing someone will want to check my skivvies to see if they are "period correct" . Not longjohns.....so I guess I failed that test...and the penalty is......................

Or for that matter my suspenders, they are elastic, not canvas (buy from Duluth Trading Co for less than $20.00 ea). Oh well I guess i failed on all counts.

Archived