SASS Wire Forum

Tex's costuming editorial

Dash Caliber

6 pages of a bunch of BS about legal costumes vs. illegal?? Really? Does anyone really care about what Tex says about costuming? He can dress the way he wants but if anyone else not dressing up to his expensive expectations is legal then end of conversation!

Rye :wacko:

Well. It really was about Legal vs Legal.

Or Legal vs Not good enough for some.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 pages of a bunch of BS about legal costumes vs. illegal?? Really? Does anyone really care about what Tex says about costuming? He can dress the way he wants but if anyone else not dressing up to his expensive expectations is legal then end of conversation!

Indeed...more Wire entertainment...D

GG

I am here to here to help get this to 250.

I too agree that Tex's article was more to promote 'a bit more than minimal, not mandating it.'

I didn't see where Tex said jeans were illegal

Yes denim shirts & jeans are legal.. It is also legal to shoot in a collared, faded thread bear denim and patched shirt with faded denim pants, a beat up straw hat (or not) and a boot that kinda resembles a sporting footwear.

I agree with Brother King,,,,, no one will make a negative call on someones clothing (footwear included) at a match..

So if rules on costuming were totally eliminated, would that make any difference in attitude and perception of the sport/hobby for you (meaning whom ever reads this)? LOL. Meaning, you would be OK with someone (or the vast majority of shooters) , for example,,, dressing in shorts, tank top, ball cap, and golf shoes?

Just saying. and on the way to 250+

Actually, you need to reread the editorial... especially the last paragraph.

Well it's been entertaining fer sure and fer certain!! Cowboy shooting is the only event I can think of where grown men call one another and check to see what their pards are gonna wear to an event!! And the women discuss their guns and ammo!!

There, fixed that for ya, needs that perspective, no?

Yes, they do. I do. And actually, tho' you may find it hard to believe based on my posts, I agree with Tex and Cat on the subject. And this isn't a "new" subject. I still remember the WB and other early "players" in this game grappling with this aspect along about the time that SASS was being formed. Tex, the Judge & I have argued 'bout this before. "Argued" might be a bit strong, but... then as now, I still respect their opinions, and admire their restraint then, and will hope that they and the TGs will continue to view that same restraint in the future as they contemplate future players in this game.

#210,

210 opinions,,,and everyone is entitled to theirs, even Tex's opinion counts,, no more, no less.

Next

Actually, as a member of the Wild Bunch, which has the power to make unilateral decisions on rules, his does count more than yours or mine.

And, I would hope that they and the TGs keep the following thoughts in mind as they contemplate an TG agenda item on this subject. This game is still attracting new shooters, young and old, in spite of the fact that those of us that grew up with Hoppy, Gene and the Duke age and become infirm. Costuming is one of the biggest hurdles for the new shooter to overcome, and while many may feel silly dressin' up as an 1880's cowperson, it's not so silly as some perceive. It IS what sets this game apart from all others. I'd feel far sillier wearing shorts and runnin' shoes to play soccer! Makin' it harder to achieve that "entry level" would seriously damage the ability to attract new shooters... sometimes a hard enough proposition as it is. I've met and known folks over the years, that have the guns, the desire, and dress "western" everyday of the week, but getting them to add a scarf and collarless shirt is harder than gettin' them to the dentist! They seem to have developed a self-image, and are just unwilling to take that small first step. Some, who have overcome that initial awkwardness, have become the best of pards... realizing that having fun isn't about how you're dressed, but a state of mind... dressin' the part helps in that regard.

Just finished shooting my first regional in eight+ years. That work thing just got in the way.

I did not see anyone who was not in full cowboy regalia.

What I did observe since my last regional was the puny loads and bullets being fired by most competitors. My CO2 gun makes more noise and has more recoil. Since this is a shooting event maybe there needs to be more emphasis put on using loads as they were in the 1800s.

Actually, you need to reread the editorial... especially the last paragraph.

There, fixed that for ya, needs that perspective, no?

Yes, they do. I do. And actually, tho' you may find it hard to believe based on my posts, I agree with Tex and Cat on the subject. And this isn't a "new" subject. I still remember the WB and other early "players" in this game grappling with this aspect along about the time that SASS was being formed. Tex, the Judge & I have argued 'bout this before. "Argued" might be a bit strong, but... then as now, I still respect their opinions, and admire their restraint then, and will hope that they and the TGs will continue to view that same restraint in the future as they contemplate future players in this game.

Actually, as a member of the Wild Bunch, which has the power to make unilateral decisions on rules, his does count more than yours or mine.

And, I would hope that they and the TGs keep the following thoughts in mind as they contemplate an TG agenda item on this subject. This game is still attracting new shooters, young and old, in spite of the fact that those of us that grew up with Hoppy, Gene and the Duke age and become infirm. Costuming is one of the biggest hurdles for the new shooter to overcome, and while many may feel silly dressin' up as an 1880's cowperson, it's not so silly as some perceive. It IS what sets this game apart from all others. I'd feel far sillier wearing shorts and runnin' shoes to play soccer! Makin' it harder to achieve that "entry level" would seriously damage the ability to attract new shooters... sometimes a hard enough proposition as it is. I've met and known folks over the years, that have the guns, the desire, and dress "western" everyday of the week, but getting them to add a scarf and collarless shirt is harder than gettin' them to the dentist! They seem to have developed a self-image, and are just unwilling to take that small first step. Some, who have overcome that initial awkwardness, have become the best of pards... realizing that having fun isn't about how you're dressed, but a state of mind... dressin' the part helps in that regard.

I only care what the rulebook allows.

GG

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/thro1/rickey.pdf

Someone posted the above link in a post a month or so ago.

It goes through a lot of the clothing options of cowboys

Back in the day. One of the things it does point out is how clothing preferences changed over time. What was popular just after the Civil War fell out of favor by the 1880's and then that fashion even fell out of favor with cowboys a mere 10 years later. It also points out that there were regional differences in clothing popularity as well.

What does all of this have to do with the price of tea in china?

Not much. As it has been pointed out, CAS is a fantasy sport that that covers some 60 years of historical cowboys, 80 years of Hollywood cowboys, and a lot of other stuff in between. That other stuff also includes non-cowboys like bankers, barkeeps, saloon girls, widdow ladies, preachers, town marshalls, shop keepers, sod busters, railroad workers, chinamen, snake oil salesman, dandies, trappers, buffalo hunters, soldiers, longshoreman, 49ers, prospectors, gamblers, indians, irishman, rustlers, shootists, undertakers, blacksmiths, and on, and on, and on. Additionally, just as there were then, you are bound to see regional differences in tastes, dress, matches, and the like.

There is so much room and costuming choices covered by all the current rules that I still cannot see what necessitated 7 pages of this. There are even categories that require a certain number of pieces of flair in order to shoot the category.

Maybe that is what this is about. Proposed rule for the TG summit as Tex states:

In addition to the minimum costuming standards, shooters must choose at least one item from the following: chaps, cuffs, watch, bank visor, apron, feather boa, garters, Merchant sleeves, etc etc.

But what good would it do? If someone had the gall to only wear one of the pieces of flair in order to meet the minimum, would there not be folks still chastising them for not wanting to wear more in the spirit of the rule and not just getting by following the letter of the rule?

But I have yet to see photographic evidences offered by anyone who can show any of the 'top shooters' that they insinuate being out of compliance with the current costume rules that started all this commotion in the first place.

Just finished shooting my first regional in eight+ years. That work thing just got in the way.

What I did observe since my last regional was the puny loads and bullets being fired by most competitors. My CO2 gun makes more noise and has more recoil. Since this is a shooting event maybe there needs to be more emphasis put on using loads as they were in the 1800s.

Whoa there big fellow. No need to hijack this ailing pony!

Start your own putrefied equine thread and beat the crap out of it!

Olen

Oh...great...here we go again.

The rules are in place...enforce them.

And again, I find more folks using moderate loads then they were 10 years ago. Most people have figured out that there is a point of diminishing returns with light loads.

Phantom

seven pages... Guess I'll add mine. I'll gonna admit that I haven't read every post in them 7 pages, so if someone has already mentioned this.. oh well.

I have a collection of 1930's western movies... I see a bunch o' cowboy stars (including the young Duke), wearing Denim pants, with belt loops, and a big roll up at the bottom (neatly done, of course) western shirt, not too fancy, usually no vest, a neckerchief, boots, and a big hat.

This is expressly mentioned in the rules as being perfectly acceptable. So I don't get it. What's wrong with wearing that to shoot in, or get an award in??

01_Ray+Corrigan.jpg

Maybe Tex's goal was to get people talkin' about it. In which case, it worked.

Belt, jeans, AND suspenders... just a shirt, neckerchief, hat and boots. No, you don't gotta carry around a saddle...

stagecoach%2B12.jpg

Suggestions for Tex's next editorials:

Why outlawing gun carts would be more period correct

We've gotten too fat and lazy as a society. Thank God for Michelle Obama trying to do something about it.

Why 97 shotguns are not Old West

They're duck guns for crying out loud.

Why SASS doubles should have external hammers

Aside from being MORE period correct, a hammer gun makes a nice back scratcher. And besides, "Tombstone" wouldn't have been near as good if during the OK Corral scene, they all had SKB's that failed to fire and they were slapping the butts of their shotguns to set the other hammer. I can see Sam Elliot now "Damn this infernal contraption!"

Why everyone should be shooting cap and ball pistols

If it was good enough for Wild Bill.....

Why shotgun belts are not part of the old west ambiance

Seriously, unless your Pancho Villa.....and whats with the canted and kydex lined holsters?

Why all shooters should shoot original 100 plus year old guns and not replicas

Better than stimulating foreign economies that string us out to clean up the worlds mess or buying Chinese steel.

Why smokeless power should be outlawed

It's a passing fad.

Why straw hats should be outlawed

Yeah, like any "cowboy" would throw his hard earned money away on garments that would not last.

Why all boots should have leather soles and rise to shooter knees

This I take some exception to. Rubber soles came around late 1800s with one patent in 1899. I think the rules committee should research for any historical evidence supporting the existence of rubber soled "cowboy boots"l. Ladies and town folks shoes are possibly and exception as well. As to boots rising to the knees, you mustn't forget, again, town folk attire and the widely worn brogan.

These make as much sense as his recurring editorial rants on what folks wear to shoot.

I seldom agree with you but you are right.

So let me get this straight, seeing folks wearing jeans ruins the 'ambience' of the match for some.

Yes

BUT, if those folks wearing jeans have B-Western written under their name on the score sheet, their appearance magically becomes acceptable?

Yes

What's next, only B-Western can shoot Marlins?

Let's not go there. I loathe the 73. They balance like landscaping timber. I somewhat like the 66 for some reason but without a doubt a dedicated Marlin man.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

As it has been pointed out, CAS is a fantasy sport that that covers some 60 years of historical cowboys, 80 years of Hollywood cowboys, and a lot of other stuff in between.

That other stuff also includes non-cowboys like:

bankers - Must wear suit, have soft hands and be a non-shooter

barkeeps - Must wear apron, polish shot glasses and have scattergun only

saloon girls - Wink,wink

Widow ladies - non-shooter

preachers - Pass the plate! non-shooter

town marshall - Actual CAS type shooter

shop keepers - Essentially a non-shooter

sod busters - Must keep rifle or shotgun behind door of house

railroad workers - Must have spike hammer or rail lifter

chinamen - Railroad worker

snake oil salesman - Must wear white suit no guns

dandies - Must ride in buggy and carry cane

trappers - Muzzle loader rifle and knife

buffalo hunters - Single shot rifle and knife

soldiers - Lever action in .32 rimfire and 7-1/2" revolver

longshoreman - Must have tattoo "Mother" and smell like Budweiser

49ers - Drunk, broke, hungry and leading a pack animal

prospectors - see 49er

gamblers - no scattergun

indians - rifle with brass tacks. Gun belt pulls off loin cloth

irishman - must wear green

rustlers - This could be an actual CAS shooter type

shootists - This could be an actual CAS shooter type

undertakers - has derringer in bible

blacksmiths - must have anvil, heavy gloves and wear work apron

Branchwater,

I added a little info to your list! Regional differences considered (were 49ers regional) the above may help clarify sumthin or nuthin... By the way did ya ever see any western movies where the townies do all of the shooting? Me either.

C'mon page 8!!

Can't just sit by any longer.

I, and probably 99% of the rest of you, got into this game to shoot, not dress up and play cowboy. Why can't we concentrate on the shooting and keep the dress-up part to the minimal required in the rule book? If you want to dress up and play cowboy then you need to join up with some reenactor group where the emphasis is on costuming. Keep pushing for more costuming rules and we will start loosing people who's primary interest is shooting If you want to go all out for costuming, then go for it. Just don't try and force your ideas of what is correct down my throat. i came here to shoot.

There, I have now made my contribution to the Magic 250.

By the way, once this thread reaches 250 will it disappear? I hope.

I've been an 18th century historical reenactor for 30+ years, and have dressed "cowboy" since I was a kid. The historical costuming, along with the guns, has always been my biggest reason for participating. It fulfills a childhood fantasy to dress up like ol' Dan'l Boone or Davey Crockett (or Jubal Sackett or Yellowstone Kelly) . I love to wear buckskins. There - I said it in public (well, sort of). I've been to 18th century events where I could go about my merry way and no one hollers or raises a fuss; however, I've been to others where I have been publicly raked over the coals for not dressing "authentically." My clothing is documentable to the time period that I portray (minus the "tighty whiteys"), which is 1776-1820. Some events paint a broad brush when it comes to timeframe (e.g. 1750-1820), and then someone goes postal on a guy for not dressing "correctly" for the time period that the other guy is portraying.

My point, long-winded as it is, is this: There will always be self-appointed "Authenticity Police" in any event that has costuming and/or firearms involved. Some are so tunnel-visioned and have no other life than their hobby, that they have no tolerance for those of us who enjoy our event AT OUR LEVEL (caps added for emphasis).

This is a hobby - at least for me. We get into hobbies for enjoyment, for an escape from the drudgery and stress of everyday life. We do it for ENJOYMENT(again, for emphasis). As said before, costuming is high on my list. I can't cowboy shoot worth a tinker's damn, but I look forward to being able to dress up in the gear that I've acquired (or made by hand) and "escape" for a few hours. I wear my duds in the woods when I hunt, also (within legal limitations, of course), for the self-same reason: It pleases me.

I don't ask anyone to dress to the degree that I do. Would it be nice for me to be surrounded with a group of folks who are as into the costuming as me (or at least to make an effort)? Yeah, maybe. But the world already has one me, and Lord knows that that's enough. Variety is what we need. And with variety, we have different approaches to the same recreation. What is MY motivation for participating may not be (and probably isn't) YOUR motivation. Not right, not wrong. It is what it is.

We do what makes us happy. That's what a recreation or hobby is for, isn't it? We pursue it to the level that we choose (or can afford) to. NO ONE has the right to look down on another for pursuing their hobby in a way that pleases them, even if it is contradictory to someone else's way of enjoying that same hobby. We should all lighten up and enjoy ourselves. Life's short. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Branchwater,

I added a little info to your list! Regional differences considered (were 49ers regional) the above may help clarify sumthin or nuthin... By the way did ya ever see any western movies where the townies do all of the shooting? Me either.

C'mon page 8!!

Actually, I could. And remember the old saying...even the James gang doesn't rob banks in Northfield, Minnesota anymore...

what if

just maybe

that Tex was just trying to promote, a tadd bit more than minimal, not mandating it

:D

Hurray !!!!That was the whole point!!!!!Glad to see some people understanding what Tex was trying to do here.....If we can reach "just one Person "...Then all of this will be worth it....Thank you Tex....For all you have done for us...It's not easy having your Job.......Tuco.

I'm sitting here watching 'Posse From Hell' starring Audie Murphy.

Its a western set around 1880. He's wearing pants WITH A BELT!

and his shirt looks like it was made with dark brown burlap.

..........Widder

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Actually, I could. And remember the old saying...even the James gang doesn't rob banks in Northfield, Minnesota anymore...

Ah... But having rooftops to shoot from on every stage isn't practical... and a blacksmith packing that anvil up there would really slow the match. ;)

You know, I recall old western TV shows where the characters were wearing jeans with a belt. That makes the combination something that is specifcally allowed by the defintions given in the rules.

Can anyone tell the difference between Wranglers and Levis at anything other than point blank range?

I really don't undestand the point Tex, and the Wild Bunch, are trying to make. Are they saying that things that are legal are going to or at least should be outlawed?

I shoot 38 sp 125 @ 700. A cartridge that didn't even exist in the "1800's". I also shoot 44 mag 200@750. Again a cartridge that didn't exist in the 1800's. If I read your post correctly, In order to continue in this GAME, YOU would force me to sell every "SASS" gun I own and buy something that fits YOUR perception of "loads as they were in the 1800s"?

BTW, In the "1800s" people were restricted to flintlocks, mostly single shots. It wasn't until much later in the century that the guns similar to the ones we use in this GAME were even invented.

If Tex was left alone to run amuck and have his way with all he wants in SASS.

1/2 the shooters would leave.

Maybe someone would start a new CAS org and pull in those that left.

Thank goodness they keep Tex in check.

Wild Bunch is in need of NEW YOUNG BLOOD in SASS.

The Rifleman always had his sleeves rolled up to past his elbows and wore jeans with a belt. If you dressed like him you wouldn't be ILLEGAL but you couldn't shoot B-Western!! :wacko: Rye

Well, here is my last contribution to this hysterical (both meanings apply) thread which is getting to be a bit over the top, IMHO. I wonder if half the folks responding to this thread have even read what Tex wrote!!?? :unsure: Many of the responses certainly do not reflect that! In any case, time to for this puppy to die..... <_<

Now that everybody has run their little bunny trails and lived up to their reputations that have ranged from cyber bullies to reasonable thinkers.. Lets review:

The rules are the rules and they are good

Tex wants to influence dress through editorial..not mandate through authority and that is good, but by the rules

Everybody likes to dress up and shoot cowboy here by the rules

So stepping up above the minimum in a historical way for those that want to is A OK but the rules are the rules.

etc etc

In the silly post that started this brew ha ha I made mention that we could learn from NCOWS..see they have very strict rules and high expectations...to support that they provide a lot of information and guidance in that area. Maybe we could learn something from our historical minded brothers.

I say this because of a picture that I saw once. Dirty Dan Dawkins used to sell pictures from the Wyoming Historical Society. I remember one of a cowboy dated well with in our period style and he was wearing animal hair chaps and a tight knitted ribbed Henley style shirt with a Zipper. Yep..a zipper. I always thought that was taboo. I don't know maybe..maybe not...I almost bought the picture so I could prove it was accurate when I sewed up a shirt like it. I thought it was a cool lokk..but I digress

Maybe we can kill this dog thread and start one, or maybe Tex could start one, on documentable and historically accurate dress information for the many of us that would like to help Tex "raise the bar"..

I love the discussion on the wire. I hate the bickering.

Well, here is my last contribution to this hysterical (both meanings apply) thread which is getting to be a bit over the top, IMHO. I wonder if half the folks responding to this thread have even read what Tex wrote!!?? :unsure: Many of the responses certainly do not reflect that! In any case, time to for this puppy to die..... <_<

wise statements

but I am thinking its entertainment

let it roll

of course not all responders have read, AND RE-READ it

this is to much funn

Archived