SASS Wire Forum

Tex's costuming editorial

Dash Caliber

The either you were at a different EOT then I was...or you have some kind of agenda.

I saw more folks dressing up...I've been to a few big shoots...

Phantom

Howdy:..I was at all the big shoots at founders ranch the same Buff,EOT, and Outlaw trail that TEX was at....saw the same thing...Top shooters from California,Ohio.and New mexico were Dressed "More Modern"or minimal...Than what I have seen them before at These same big 3 shoots...Perhaps Tex and myself just see things differently than you.....I bet I could find pictures ....do you have some kind of agenda?????????Tuco..(I shoot with two eyes and read with no glasses)...no agenda unless it is to see more Buckaroo outfits ,and dance hall girl clothes...not makin' a dime off it....More the merrier...Tuco.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy:..I was at all the big shoots at founders ranch the same Buff,EOT, and Outlaw trail that TEX was at....saw the same thing...Top shooters from California,Ohio.and New mexico were Dressed "More Modern"or minimal...Than what I have seen them before at These same big 3 shoots...Perhaps Tex and myself just see things differently than you.....I bet I could find pictures ....do you have some kind of agenda?????????Tuco..(I shoot with two eyes and read with no glasses)...no agenda unless it is to see more Buckaroo outfits ,and dance hall girl clothes...not makin' a dime off it....More the merrier...Tuco.

So what type clothing were these folks from Calif, Ohio and NM wearing? Were they wearing jeans, tennis shoes, T shirts, ball caps, etc? Were they dressed within the rules? Maybe the EOT photos will show us? Posse pictures might be worth viewing.

Well...first off the only "Big" match that you referenced is EOT...

And second, be specific as to what type of clothing is NOW showing up that hasn't shown up in the past.

I DO have an agenda: Stop those folks that whine about folks playing the game legally.

Phantom

so

was there three UFO's

or

four

geeese guys

the agenda for cowboy action shooting is to

use period type shooting equipment

wear period type clothes (some will do more than others) wear what is legal

have fun doing it

Classic Cowboy and B-western were invented to help show case cowboy clothes

we have minimum distance with targets these days

just maybe clothing in some cases is minimum as well

it does NOT hurt to encourage more cowboy - cowgirl late 1800's, or B western tv / movie,

look in every category

6 pages of comments is a riot mann, I say lets go for 7

:o:o:o

some of the best top gun shoot offs that I have watched

was when the top shooters were required to wear a certain number of items from a list

they all looked like real working cowboy, and still shot very well

it was really cool to watch

Well...first off the only "Big" match that you referenced is EOT...

And second, be specific as to what type of clothing is NOW showing up that hasn't shown up in the past.

I DO have an agenda: Stop those folks that whine about folks playing the game legally.

Phantom

What you really mean is to encourage top shooters to dress "modern western store"..........I know 100% legal....dress to the minimum cause you can get away with it...where "s the spirit.......You missed the point again.......Do you want to see the top shooters dressed up for the dance or look like modern western off the street style clothing ....that's what this is about ........I get it it's about 100%legal and "let me play my own game"...That's the real "whiner"......Here isn't it.........That's my AGENDA....I'm with TEX on this one....Tuco.

This thread has become drivel. We all know what is legal and some go all out in their dress...some with the minimum. So what...again if it's legal no prob. In our sport the pure period dresser isn't any better than the minimalist dresser...except in a customing contest. Let's respect both and move on.

GG

What you really mean is to encourage top shooters to dress "modern western store"..........I know 100% legal....dress to the minimum cause you can get away with it...where "s the spirit.......You missed the point again.......Do you want to see the top shooters dressed up for the dance or look like modern western off the street style clothing ....that's what this is about ........I get it it's about 100%legal and "let me play my own game"...That's the real "whiner"......Here isn't it.........That's my AGENDA....I'm with TEX on this one....Tuco.

What a bunch of BS.

They are dressed in LEGAL SASS Attire.

BUT. IT's just not good enough for YOU.

It interferes with YOUR idea of SASS.

Well Boo Hoo.

Either they are legal or they are not. PERIOD.

Suggestions for Tex's next editorials:

Why outlawing gun carts would be more period correct

Why 97 shotguns are not Old West

Why SASS doubles should have external hammers

Why everyone should be shooting cap and ball pistols

Why shotgun belts are not part of the old west ambiance

Why all shooters should shoot original 100 plus year old guns and not replicas

Why smokeless power should be outlawed

Why straw hats should be outlawed

Why all boots should have leather soles and rise to shooter knees

These make as much sense as his recurring editorial rants on what folks wear to shoot.

No, it's gotta go 250 posts...however many pages that is.... ;)

Trying to win the pool ay? :lol:

We haven't settled on a first prize yet.

Well heck, just a note to say that in the course of COWBOYS and research for GUN STORIES, I have probably spent as much time in museum stacks as anyone, and one thing I've noticed is that people in the semi-mythical "Old West" didn't necessarily dress the way we think people in the Old West dressed. "Jeans" were as common as dirt. Some pants...probably trickled in from or copied from Europe, but who knows...had belt loops and were worn with or without belts. Boots were worn inside and outside of pants. Lace-up boots and brogans were equally common. Hats range all over the place, probably encompassing every style in Cap'n George Baylor's collection.

Grizz, I'd say you look cowboy just fine...I believer you could "pass" even in Wyoming! Brother King, I miss you, brother!

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

Think everyone including TEX. Maybe most of all Tex needs to re-read this.

What Tex THINKS was old west. Might not really have been.

Some of those he dis-likes. May be MORE in tune with what was worn back then. Than what he THINKS, it MIGHT, have been like.

This IS a bunch of BS.

Look at the "top shooters" and more times then not, you'll see nice SASS outfits.

Your position shows ignorance to what goes on in this game. Pointing fingers at a segment of our population (Top Shooters), shows it. Take a look at 'em next time...if you know who they are.

Oy...

Phantom

This IS a bunch of BS.

Look at the "top shooters" and more times then not, you'll see nice SASS outfits.

Your position shows ignorance to what goes on in this game. Pointing fingers at a segment of our population (Top Shooters), shows it. Take a look at 'em next time...if you know who they are.

Oy...

Phantom

Indeed. Most all of the great or "top" shooters I know are always dressed as finely as any cowboy/girl on the range - many regularly sporting chaps and the whole nine-yards.

It's hard to believe this is even an "issue" at this point. In fact, outside the WIRE or Tex's editorials, I've never yet seen(or heard out of an actual CAS participant's mouth) evidence that it is!

This IS a bunch of BS.

Oy...

Phantom

This IS a bunch of BS.

Oy...

Phantom

Well The EOT I was at this year had several top shooters(if you know who they are) in modern cowboy hats , work shirts,and blue jeans ...Off the rack stuff....Your position shows ignorance to admit that this was true...Tuco. and i don't care what people wear.....just stating a fact......no B.S.

Well The EOT I was at this year had several top shooters(if you know who they are) in modern cowboy hats , work shirts,and blue jeans ...Off the rack stuff....Your position shows ignorance to admit that this was true...Tuco. and i don't care what people wear.....just stating a fact......no B.S.

Were they LEGAL? If yes...

Then EVERYONE including Tex, The Wild Bunch or all else need to let it go - because legal is legal.

If they were NOT legal - Then SHAME on you and Tex and anyone else that allowed it and did not say anything until after the fact.

If they were legal and their dress simply offends YOU and YOUR sense of what cowboy should look like - get a life.

Well Mr. Worldly SASS shooter...I do know that Bud was limited on his clothing...but he's a poor working college student just trying to make ends meet. Had to barrow guns, ammo...and a few other things JUST to be able to play.

If you're refering to him...shame on you!

And he was perfectly LEGAL!

Facts...oy.

Phantom

Suppose some on here would DQ any cowboys from TX that like starched, creased jeans and crisp, creased shirts and straight front hat brims more like rodeo cowboys.

Nearly 200 posts and the only thing obvious is that obviously none of it is going to happen.

So, is what you're say is that sass shooters should not wear of the rack stuff?

Well...after 6 pages of whining, bickering and complaining....Im still not changing the way I dress. Its not often that I will wear "blue" jeans, but jeans is what I do wear....tans and browns mostly....but still denim jeans. Most of my shirts are period correct. And yes, I do dress minimal. Occasionally a vest and if it isnt too danged hot, I will wear a pair of chaps.

With all that said, again, the only thing that the 6 pages of this thread has done is cause me to add more names to my list of people that I would prefer not to shoot with at any time.....no matter what they are wearing ;)

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

Can ya imagine having to dress like a cowboy in cowboy action shooting... Dumb!

Them guys what used to use saddles were nuts! We have trucks with adjustable, heated seats...

And Roy, Hoppy and the Duke ain't alive no more so why emulate them old farts? Kill Bill is a lot more entertaining...

Heck we need our triggers straightened so we don't hurt our poor little pea pickers and everybody knows that levers on a cap gun had that little deal what ya flip up to trip the trigger when ya wanted to shoot fast...

We need Bisley hammers cuz our thumbs are too wimpy to reach the hammer on a plain old hog leg...

And everybody knows cowboys actually wore lace up work boots and not them stupid, uncomfortable calvary boots what slip on and have heels...

Why can't we just wear a T-shirt with a picture of Jerry Garcia on it? I have read the Shooters Handbook and Jerry is not specifically disallowed...

P.S. ball caps should be legal if they have a John Deere logo! And if shooters are wearing jeans then what is Jean wearing?

After 6 pages, 200 posts (some of which add zip to the discussion), and a little research. I've come to a conclusion, I've kinda had enough. So, no hold barred, here's what I think about the entire subject: If I were a young man*, with a family to house, clothe & feed, but could eke out a modest shooting budget, wanted to let my inner cowboy loose and, after buying guns, components and a rig, cobbled together what I understood to be a legal outfit; then went off to a shoot on my limited vacation time, only to be told that my outfit wasn't in the "spirit of the game," I might be left with a little anger, and maybe if I got over that, I'd figure I had a few choices... I might think;

"Hmmm, what is left of my shooting budget that I can do without so I can buy that period correct pair of pants? Hey look, that SASS membership is due soon, that'll cover those pants that were on sale! Man a couple of years will get me that nice wool vest, 4 will cover that outstanding frock coat. So what if I lose my alias, I ain't been around long enough for anyone to know me." Or how 'bout...

"...I've been really improving over the past several months, I think I got a great chance to buckle @ the State/Regiona/World's... but wait, that entry fee will cover an entire new outfit..." Or maybe, if I was that senior citizen on a fixed budget;

"... Gosh 6 grandkids, maybe XMas & birthday gifts is too much, I'd like a period correct slicker amd memaw needs a bonnet... surely the kids won't begridge us that little bit."

If I've hit a little too close for anyone, my apologies, my intent is not to hurt, I've been there, have had to make some choices, never easy.

And for those that would say, "maybe this game ain't for some folks..." well... I didn't see any financial qualifications needed on my SASS application... has that changed? Maybe you should look a little harder at why some folks ain't dressin' above the minimum; maybe you could look around in that muscle that pumps blood up to yer head and see that file called "compassion"... look hard, it's small.

Go ahead, take yer best shot...

* you can sub "fixed income retiree" in there, or a number of other qualifiers.

I love the dressing up part of this game! I can see that it may not be the same for everyone else, so as long as they are within the gidelines of SASS then, that is the end of it.

Just my 2cents.

Frenchy

what if

just maybe

that Tex was just trying to promote, a tadd bit more than minimal, not mandating it

:D

I am here to here to help get this to 250.

I too agree that Tex's article was more to promote 'a bit more than minimal, not mandating it.'

I didn't see where Tex said jeans were illegal

Yes denim shirts & jeans are legal.. It is also legal to shoot in a collared, faded thread bear denim and patched shirt with faded denim pants, a beat up straw hat (or not) and a boot that kinda resembles a sporting footwear.

I agree with Brother King,,,,, no one will make a negative call on someones clothing (footwear included) at a match..

So if rules on costuming were totally eliminated, would that make any difference in attitude and perception of the sport/hobby for you (meaning whom ever reads this)? LOL. Meaning, you would be OK with someone (or the vast majority of shooters) , for example,,, dressing in shorts, tank top, ball cap, and golf shoes?

Just saying. and on the way to 250+

Griff,

you stated that very well.

Just think...what if that SASS member, who is wearing Legal attire, is one of your TOP gunsmiths at a big match and for some unexpected reason, one of TEX's guns get broke. Will Tex, or some of these other Pards, ask that gunsmith to dress alittle better before fixing their gun?

OR, what if that gunsmith (who often does alot of FREEBIES) sets their rate of pay based on the clothes needed to look better just to appease some of these Pards. Heaven forbid cause that just wouldn't be the Cowboy way.

New hammer spring: $25 (the same cost of a new shirt)

Instal new hammer spring: $39 (same cost of a new pair of 'COWBOY' pants)

Smooth up trigger pull: $150 (about the cost of a pair of boots that 'look' like Cowboy boots)

Small TIG weld to repair a part: $100 plus (depending on the price of that new frock coat or swede jacket you need...to look good and appease others.

Can you imagine being a relatively new shooter attending your first big Regional and getting to meet Tex. And when you reach out to shake his hand, and as he is extending his hand, he says: 'you need to dress up alittle more. I'm gona tell the Territorial Governors about this'.

anyhow, thanks Griff for putting alot of that in its true perspective.

..........Widder

6 pages of a bunch of BS about legal costumes vs. illegal?? Really? Does anyone really care about what Tex says about costuming? He can dress the way he wants but if anyone else not dressing up to his expensive expectations is legal then end of conversation!

Rye :wacko:

Archived