SASS Wire Forum

Tex's costuming editorial

Dash Caliber

With all due respect my Grizzly cousin, the hand book makes no specific mention of other type of pants either. As has been documented by others in this thread, jeans were in the period, and in movies and tv.

Now I would agree that designer jeans with all sorts of labels and bedazlements are over the top, but your basic jeans are fine in my book.

What??? no Jordach or Calvin Kleins??? :lol: ..... :P:P

GG ~ :FlagAm:

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you seriously looking for a list of what clothing is appropriate?????

Seriously?

With all due respect my Grizzly cousin, the hand book makes no specific mention of other type of pants either. As has been documented by others in this thread, jeans were in the period, and in movies and tv.

Now I would agree that designer jeans with all sorts of labels and bedazlements are over the top, but your basic jeans are fine in my book.

No cousin, just playing devil's advocate. ;) Nor, am I suggesting a list; just noting that modern jeans are only specifically mentioned in BW. I personally believe your outfit is perfectly fine! The discussion that is coming will be about what the intent of the rule was, and whether it needs to be changed, or clarified. It does say "Old West," and that is a bit more specific in terms of style. While the Old 73s are patterned after period Levis, and other pants available back in the day, they are most certainly NOT like their modern version.

I used to do the CW reenacting gig, and I did not care for the clothing police that seem to dominate that game, so I am firmly in the "SASS Fantasy" camp. :) I prefer shooting to worrying about what the other guy is wearing. :D

+2 for the Hamilton's Old 73s. Great pants from a fine company! Quality products at reasonable cost. :) I like them because they have a lower waist line and can be worn without suspenders. (I hate suspenders! :D )

The Old 73s are copied from original Levis and are Old West period correct. That said, they are NOTHING like Wrangler (modern) jeans. About the only thing they have in common with Wranglers/Levis is they are both pants! :)

I don't get a lot of heartburn over what folks wear, but In looking at the language in the Shooter's Handbook, where does it say that modern jeans are "legal?" Other than BW, I can't find jeans even mentioned as appropriate shooter wear. :unsure: If you want to wear jeans, dress BW!

Can you find a lit of other clothes by type that are legal, ie what kind of vests, shirts, suspenders, other pants, etc are legal? I guess not. When the handbook says B Western and TV westerns are an acceeptable form of dress, (not limited to any category, excpet maybe CC), it opens the door to all kinds of dress. Heck in the Gene Autry and Roy Rogers TV shows, some folks are even wearing business suits, dress shirts and ties.

And don't wear suspenders and a belt with your pants. No real reason, and don't take the statement as a point of fact that should be held to other shooters. however...

How can you trust a man who wears both a belt and suspenders? The man can't even trust his own pants.

Better to have backup than to be cought with yer pants down....😀😉😜

Can you find a lit of other clothes by type that are legal, ie what kind of vests, shirts, suspenders, other pants, etc are legal? I guess not. When the handbook says B Western and TV westerns are an acceeptable form of dress, (not limited to any category, excpet maybe CC), it opens the door to all kinds of dress. Heck in the Gene Autry and Roy Rogers TV shows, some folks are even wearing business suits, dress shirts and ties.

Yes, and they were riding around in automobiles too! :lol: They certainly were not claiming to be "Old West!!" :D In any case, read #142. Again, playing devils advocate, do modern jeans = Old West? If we hung a pair of WahMaker pants next to a pair of Wranglers, which would most folks say was "Old West?" Again, what was the original vision or intent? Just looking at the language, the only place modern jeans are specifically allowed, or even implied, is in BW.

Come play with us, if you get over this way. :)

If Tex wins and we are all required to buy stuff from the merchants who are bitching how will you react? Will you buy stuff from costuming merchants advertizing in the Chronicle, leave SASS, or what?

So let me get this straight, seeing folks wearing jeans ruins the 'ambience' of the match for some. BUT, if those folks wearing jeans have B-Western written under their name on the score sheet, their appearance magically becomes acceptable? What's next, only B-Western can shoot Marlins?

Yes, and they were riding around in automobiles too! :lol: They certainly were not claiming to be "Old West!!" :D In any case, read #142. Again, playing devils advocate, do modern jeans = Old West? If we hung a pair of WahMaker pants next to a pair of Wranglers, which would most folks say was "Old West?" Again, what was the original vision or intent? Just looking at the language, the only place modern jeans are specifically allowed, or even implied, is in BW.

Come play with us, if you get over this way. :)

You are being a bit selective ni your statemement about your old west comments. The SASS Handbook says: "Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series".

I see no restriction that limits jeans to the BW category only in the Hanbook or RO manuals. Since the above SASS Handbook excerpt says costumes can include B Western movies, or Western television series, and there is no category restriction included in that whole paragraph, why have you identified a jeans restriction to B Western category only? I see many many shooters wearing B Western clothing in all cateogories except CC.

Read Tex's editorial. It is transparent from what Tex wrote that some of the merchants advertizing in the Chronicle don't believe we are buying enough "authentic" stuff from them. Most of them don't sell reproduction jeans. I bet if the people who make Wranglers were to start advertising in the Chronicle Tex's tune would change. He would love Wranglers. His editorial and this 5 page thread are all about keeping advertisers happy. It happens all the time in limited interest publications like the Chronicle. At least Tex was honest enough to tell us what motivated the editorial. I applaud that kind of integrity.

If Tex wins and we are all required to buy stuff from the merchants who are bitching how will you react? Will you buy stuff from costuming merchants advertizing in the Chronicle, leave SASS, or what?

Bart, I seriously doubt that the TGs would approve outlawing jeans or putting more specific limits on what can and can't be worn. Sure the Wild Bunch could mandate it anyway, but I doubt they would. Why? Because it would hurt the bottom line, and be unenforced and unenforceable. From looking at the scores from clubs around the country, I notice that they often have fairly few shooters. I don't see them running of neighbor Fred for wearing modern jeans and just any old pair of boots, they can't afford to.

One of the common things mentioned by folks thinking of joining the game is the costuming. Raise the minimum standard and that will only increase. Further, raising the minimum standard would alienate many current members, in effect telling them 'your clothes aren't good enough.'

I posted the picture of me from last weeks match to make a point. In it I am wearing what some would call modern jeans, off the rack from the big and fat store, and Ariat boots which most would call 'just another pair of boots.'

I have not observed the decline in costuming that Tex has, in fact I have observed costuming increasing, especially at big matches. In my mind the proposed changes are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. And if folks are stretching the minimum, then enforce the rules on those breaking them, don't brow beat the rest of us. There are better ways to encourage costuming than to harp on it month after month.

To answer your question, no, I won't buy anything I wouldn't have bought otherwise. No, I will not leave SASS, I will continue to shoot the game I love. If a match makes it known that they are strictly enforcing costuming rules, then I will send a picture to the match director, asking for a ruling in writing. If my clothes don't meet with their expectations, I won't go. Very many of those and yes I might have to evaluate continued membership in SASS. Why would I continue to support an organization that continually made it known that I wasn't good enough to be in their ranks?

Bart, I seriously doubt that the TGs would approve outlawing jeans or putting more specific limits on what can and can't be worn. Sure the Wild Bunch could mandate it anyway, but I doubt they would. Why? Because it would hurt the bottom line, and be unenforced and unenforceable. From looking at the scores from clubs around the country, I notice that they often have fairly few shooters. I don't see them running of neighbor Fred for wearing modern jeans and just any old pair of boots, they can't afford to.

One of the common things mentioned by folks thinking of joining the game is the costuming. Raise the minimum standard and that will only increase. Further, raising the minimum standard would alienate many current members, in effect telling them 'your clothes aren't good enough.'

I posted the picture of me from last weeks match to make a point. In it I am wearing what some would call modern jeans, off the rack from the big and fat store, and Ariat boots which most would call 'just another pair of boots.'

I have not observed the decline in costuming that Tex has, in fact I have observed costuming increasing, especially at big matches. In my mind the proposed changes are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. And if folks are stretching the minimum, then enforce the rules on those breaking them, don't brow beat the rest of us. There are better ways to encourage costuming than to harp on it month after month.

To answer your question, no, I won't buy anything I wouldn't have bought otherwise. No, I will not leave SASS, I will continue to shoot the game I love. If a match makes it known that they are strictly enforcing costuming rules, then I will send a picture to the match director, asking for a ruling in writing. If my clothes don't meet with their expectations, I won't go. Very many of those and yes I might have to evaluate continued membership in SASS. Why would I continue to support an organization that continually made it known that I wasn't good enough to be in their ranks?

A big Plus 1. You just stated my thoughts on the subject. Love your outfit. It is very stylish in a cowboy sort of way.

For the record, I doubt Tex's editorial goes anywhere. If it does it will be given short shrift by the powers that be. They don't want to create a needless problem.

So let me get this straight, seeing folks wearing jeans ruins the 'ambience' of the match for some. BUT, if those folks wearing jeans have B-Western written under their name on the score sheet, their appearance magically becomes acceptable? What's next, only B-Western can shoot Marlins?

;) Yep, that's spelled out in the BW category. Interesting ain't it?!

Yep! Some good points, Cuz.

We have ourselves (SASS/WB) a bit of a quandary! It has been a common practice, and for good reason, to encourage new folks to get into the game with the bare "minimum," with the understanding that they will "move up" to the intent of the rule for costume (See Tex!). Unfortunately, the minimum (blue jeans, work shirt, boots of some kind, and a straw hat from the local farm and ranch store.), which is not articulated as such , has somehow become the standard CAS uniform for many. To complicate the matter further, the rules for BW specifically allow jeans! :wacko: .....and then there's that "Old West" thing.... ;)

Sure makes for some interesting discussion! :D No need to get overly dramatic or emotional about this stuff. It has a way of working out. :)

Somewhere Tex is sitting back and laughing at all this stuff he stirred up.

Saying. At least I got them talking about it. :huh:

Of course, he wrote an editorial. Every editorial writer in the world loves to stir the pot. If he doesn't get people riled up he hasn't done his job. At the very least he is smiling broadly.

http://sdough.smugmug.com/Other/Final-SQMR-Match/i-5pqCTdF/0/M/final39-M.jpg

My "scout rig"

http://sdough.smugmug.com/Art/Just-For-Fun/i-9qvzhDJ/0/M/curley2amb-M.jpg

My "everyday Curley" look

Here are the two major looks I have worn for the last 10 years. The pants in the scout look are some army pants I got off the wire for the price of shipping. (you can get good pants at a good price.)

for my regular look I do wear black jeans (cheap ones) with labels and loops removed and batchlor button put on for my braces. I like the look of them and the fit. so I continue to wear them.

when starting out in this game, it can be costly to "gear up" so sometimes one has to be creatitive. that said I think one can still look "cowboy" without breaking the bank.

curley

Thanks Griz

I understand the situation that vendors have in needing us to continue to buy their stuff. But, sometimes they quit selling just what we use. I have worn a tweed vest from day one..(got it at the Last End of Trail the one held in Norco!) and when it wore out nobody was making them. I had to get Miz Concho in Nevada to make me one, and now she don't do sewing either. so what is one to do.

My first shirt in SASS was actually an Arrow dress shirt with the collar cut off. I wore it til you could see thru it. I managed to get one similar from Scully (I think...)

but sometimes we have to make do with what we have. and sometimes that is the fun of this sport. I have hats made by Major Debacle of Knudsen that cost a lot, and one of my favorites now is an old beat up Stetson tossed away by Capt Jake and I had it reshaped tor my needs. Total cost: $12. Me and Old Top spent many days looking for stuff to wear, or to modify to wear. that was half the game for us.

If we walk up and buy everything straight off the rack, well, that just ain't as fun as finding something to make in to what ya want to wear. Does that make sense?

thanks for hearing me out.

curley

If we walk up and buy everything straight off the rack, well, that just ain't as fun as finding something to make in to what ya want to wear. Does that make sense?

thanks for hearing me out.

curley

It sure makes sense to me, Amigo. ;) Ride easy. GA

Them B-Western folks sure are gonna look funny fishing for Marlins with a rifle. Marlins only jump when hooked on line. You'd have to wait 'til they're hooked, guess when they jump and peg 'em when they're out of the water. Boy, that's a tough category................Sea Turtles, Manatees and Blue Whales are much easier targets. Kind of the size of targets these days.

Darn it, what was the question again?

CS

ok

between jeans (yes-no-maybe-whynot)

it might be done for medical reasons,

and the feller is a steller shooter

is this where we may be headed with slippery slope syndrome

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/sassmaddmike/punk3.jpg

:huh::huh:

let er rip

sassmaddmike@yahoo.com

ok

between jeans (yes-no-maybe-whynot)

it might be done for medical reasons,

and the feller is a steller shooter

is this where we may be headed with slippery slope syndrome

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q299/sassmaddmike/punk3.jpg

:huh::huh:

Only in Florida and certain parts of California.

Them B-Western folks sure are gonna look funny fishing for Marlins with a rifle. Marlins only jump when hooked on line. You'd have to wait 'til they're hooked, guess when they jump and peg 'em when they're out of the water. Boy, that's a tough category................Sea Turtles, Manatees and Blue Whales are much easier targets. Kind of the size of targets these days.

Darn it, what was the question again?

CS

What is the meaning of the universe?

In high school or there abouts, after large quantities of beer we came up with the meaning of life.

We decided that the word 'meaning' was synonymous with 'definition', and our definition of life was as follows...

Life is the interim between two physical nonexistences.

I read somewhere that the answer to life, the universe and everything is 42. I might be wrong, but I always have my towel handy. Of course it is a period correct cowboy towel.

Deadwood Slim. Have fun tomorrow. I am shooting in Higginsville, but would love to be with you all at Powder Creek. No way to do two annuals at the same time, and I paid for Higginsville back in March.

I agree. ;)

So you must have 6 in the Saloon pool?

You may be sellin' the Wire short.........no horse is so dead that there might not still be a livin' maggot.... ;-)

Howdy Folks:I totally agree with Tex.....Many Top Shooters at the 3 big Shoots this year At founders Ranch were dressed down from what I have seen before.....I kinda thought that myself but again none of my business...I brought down 2 new shooters with me this year and they had noticed and mentioned that some people looked like they coulda dressed up a bit more if they were gonna represent the "Top of Best".....But if you wanna look "modern " Hey that's your business".......If Tex can wear cowboy old west all day so will I ,and my Pards I bring down..........Enjoy your shoot,and Happy to see ya on the trail.............Tuco.

Howdy Folks:I totally agree with Tex.....Many Top Shooters at the 3 big Shoots this year At founders Ranch were dressed down from what I have seen before.....I kinda thought that myself but again none of my business...I brought down 2 new shooters with me this year and they had noticed and mentioned that some people looked like they coulda dressed up a bit more if they were gonna represent the "Top of Best".....But if you wanna look "modern " Hey that's your business".......If Tex can wear cowboy old west all day so will I ,and my Pards I bring down..........Enjoy your shoot,and Happy to see ya on the trail.............Tuco.

The either you were at a different EOT then I was...or you have some kind of agenda.

I saw more folks dressing up...I've been to a few big shoots...

Phantom

Archived