SASS Wire Forum

Tex's costuming editorial

Dash Caliber

Why not? I've got a better question, why should I? To please you? Sorry, I'm here to please ME. I'm absolutely 100% within the required dress code? You don't like it? Then lobby to change the rules. Until then, you play your game the way you want to and let me play mine the way I want to...........within the rules.

Join the fun? When you start paying my membership dues and match fees you can decided what I think is fun. Until then I'll decide on my own, thank you very much.

I think some may be missing the mute point

I think that some saying prove that competiveness is hurting cas, perhaps could open their mind a tadd bit

Fast, big, close, simpley, seems to be the beat of the band these days

Dressing in period clothes can in the minds of many, hamper those ideals

I have met some great folks in cas, like t-bone and many others, they dress, and play the part

of "cowboy" win-lose-or draw, they learn the skills to compete, dress the part, and share postive ideals

at least many look cool, and really trys to lead by example

many top dressed shootes examples are: you can wear a lot of real cowbow gear, and shoot fast too, and lend your talent and skills with others

tex's article is no different than everyone of us that has held a job for a long time

company meeting points: are re-addressed over and over, as needed due to compliancy

if t-bone or others are offended by my post, if you agree its the same email

carry on or tally ho

sassmaddmike@yahoo.com

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

page (2) Shooters Handbook:

Cowboy Action Shooting™ is a combination of historical reenactment and Saturday morning at the matinee. Participants may choose the style of costume they wish to wear, but all clothing must be typical of the late 19th century, a B-western movie, or Western television series.
SASS puts a great deal of emphasis on costuming because it adds so much to the uniqueness of our game and helps create a festive, informal atmosphere that supports the friendly, fraternal feeling we encourage in our competitors.
All shooters must be in costume, and we encourage invited guests and family also to be costumed. Shooters must remain in costume at all match events: dinners, award ceremonies, dances, etcetera.
ALL clothing and equipment MUST be worn appropriately, how it was intended and how it would have been worn in the OLD WEST or as seen on B-Western movies and television.
Tex: .......................but Wranglers are NOT part of the equation! They're
not outlawed but they are definitely not
Old West, either.
He has a point! Wrangles and/or any other variation of modern jeans are NOT Old West. While not "outlawed", they most certainly do not appear to be within the intent of the rule when it was written - and I suspect Tex was around when it was written!
We have ourselves (SASS) a bit of a quandary! It has been a common practice, and for good reason, to encourage new folks to get into the game with the bare minimum, with the understanding that they will "move up" to the intent of the rule for costume. Unfortunately, the minimum (blue jeans, work shirt, boots of some kind, and a straw hat from the local farm and ranch store.), which is not articulated as such in the above rule, has somehow become the standard CAS uniform for many. To complicate the matter further, the rules for BW specifically allow jeans! OY, as someone I know would say! :D
Tex is carrying out his responsibility by "riding fence." I have shot with Tex many times, and I can tell you that he is not afraid to fix the fence when he finds a hole!
Before you all go leaping on Tex, note the last line added by Cat: "This is not just Tex speaking. This subject has the support of the entire Wild Bunch...Cat."
IMHO, Tex is on point, and the wording of this rule needs to be reviewed, ......and will be at the convention.

You mean like you're doing?

Oh gawd...it's Forty Rod...do you still shoot????

I did not start a thread that cast judgment on other's that are playing this game legally.

Get the thorn about me outta yer behind...it's not becoming of you.

Cheers!

Phantom

On the issue of Wranglers, I believe the costume requirements address B Western movies. The Duke made some A movies but he also made a lot of B's and I don't remember him ever wearing a pair of jeans without a belt threaded through those loops. I don't know if they were Wranglers but they were definitely jeans. How many times have we heard, "If the Duke did it it has to be OK"? Sure, I would like to see everyone dressed to the nines for CAS but it's not going to happen. Let it alone if the dress meets minimal requirements.

Oh gawd...it's Forty Rod...do you still shoot????

I did not start a thread that cast judgment on other's that are playing this game legally.

Get the thorn about me outta yer behind...it's not becoming of you.

Cheers!

Phantom

Dear Mr. Phantom,

Your recent posts seem to suggest you are upset with me for casting judgement. I'm sorry you feel that way. I was, for just a brief moment, concerned enough to review my originating post and for the life of me, I can not quite see the judgemental factor that has you so distraught. Perhaps you have other unresolved opinions you are assuming I am in support of. Or maybe this form of communication lacks the personal tone to express my feelings accurately.The last line of my post states it clearly as my opinion and it stands as I stated it as does the rest of my post. My observations come from my experience in this sport and in life that my newest alias badge # would not indicate I might have. I look forward to continuing this conversation with you in person and maybe I can help you with that burr you seem to have in your saddle with me. I think you have been to the Georgia State Match yet I must have missed you.. Please forgive the pun. Maybe next time? Perhaps Forty Rod can join us and we will have a group session. Bring your friends, it will be fun. Take care now...

I like to dress up but it is for me not Tex or Capt Baylor or anyone else.I don't have the money or do I want to dress B western or Classic Cowboy.If Grizz like what he wares then I like what he wares.I don't think that Jeans should be slammed by Tex are anyone else.That is the way I see it.If the WB starts making rules to change what people ware that the WB will run off some shooter that would keep shooting.Two thumbs up Grizz.

Dear Mr. Phantom,

Your recent posts seem to suggest you are upset with me for casting judgement. I'm sorry you feel that way. I was, for just a brief moment, concerned enough to review my originating post and for the life of me, I can not quite see the judgemental factor that has you so distraught. Perhaps you have other unresolved opinions you are assuming I am in support of. Or maybe this form of communication lacks the personal tone to express my feelings accurately.The last line of my post states it clearly as my opinion and it stands as I stated it as does the rest of my post. My observations come from my experience in this sport and in life that my newest alias badge # would not indicate I might have. I look forward to continuing this conversation with you in person and maybe I can help you with that burr you seem to have in your saddle with me. I think you have been to the Georgia State Match yet I must have missed you.. Please forgive the pun. Maybe next time? Perhaps Forty Rod can join us and we will have a group session. Bring your friends, it will be fun. Take care now...

Dash,

I hate to see you and Phantom quarrel.

May I share quotes from the founder of the Japanes martial art aikido, Morihei Ueshiba:

"If your heart is large enough to envelop your adversaries, you can see

right through them and avoid their attacks. And once you envelop them,

you will be able to guide them along the path indicated to you by heaven

and earth."

Or

"Opponents confront us continually, but actually there is no opponent

there. Enter deeply into an attack and neutralize it as you draw that

misdirected force into your own sphere."

OK folks, especially those who seem to be in favor of re-writing the costume rules and guidelines....

Is what I am wearing above not cowboy enough for your vision of this game?

it is ok with me too, cept what category? that could make a difference

Age based, or for that matter anything but B-Western or Classic. Though discounting the straw hat I wear in the summer to limit how much my brain boils, in that picture I do have on 4 items from the classic cowboy list. Hiding on the back of my belt is a knife. My point is, I'm wearing jeans and 'just another pair of boots'

Griz, are those really lavender garders covered by your shirt sleeves? Furthermore, is it really appropriate to wear them with a red scarf?

You may have met my alter ego, Manuel the Color Blind Cowboy, he tends to wear outfits mixing different materials of stripes and plaids. Makes my wife cringe each time I boldly strut onto the range.

Keep on keeping on, my friend - and keep looking good doing it!

One of the main reasons I started shooting sass was the love of the cowboy life style. Where else could a 40 some year old (now 49) take his whole family and play COWBOY for a day or weekend . Thats why i shoot CLASSIC COWBOY and my wife shoots CLASSIC COWGIRL my daugther shoots DUELEST and my son who just turned 17 is now shooting CLASSIC COWBOY. We all shoot mostly for the fun of it and the great folks we meet . I love to whear the old west style cloths and Guns. But thats my chocie and as long as you show up in cowboy cloths that are in the rule book that is your Chocie. So lets go have fun and we see down the trail . DAWSON DUGAN NEW MEXICO TERRITORY

Dear Mr. Phantom,

See...I don't care to ever "Apologize" to folks for the way they feel about my opinions. If I do something wrong...that would deserve an apology. Nor will I be patronizing...that's not the "Cowboy Way" either.

I am not distraught...I think you give yourself and your opinion too much power.

Do you...feel as though your opinion shouldn't have garnered any negative responses? No...you don't...otherwise you wouldn't have made the statement "So before you stay up late to blast me..."

Making the statement "Some shooters I see lately are in a word...obsessed. To a point of just plain unhealthy" is in my opinion judgmental...who are you to say that it's unhealthy? Based on...who's values?

I'm sure yer a great guy...I disagree with your opinion and I disagree with even making it. Why? Because it is glorifying your values over others...just don't like it.

And I don't need any "Group" session crap...I have a wonderful life...one that me and my family...my friends (read THAT to mean actual people that I've developed relationships IN PERSON and not on the internet...like the WIRE or FACEBOOK), enjoy. I don't go around telling others how to prioritize elements within their lives...I'm not able to claim the authority to do that...perhaps you are?

So if you folks that feel like things ain't right with SASS...even if your a WB member (and I like TEX), then CHANGE THE DAMN RULES! Sitting around and bitchin about it is chicks***.

Cheers!

Phantom

Stan, Chotchkie's Manager: We need to talk about your flair.

Joanna: Really? I... I have fifteen pieces on. I, also...

Stan, Chotchkie's Manager: Well, okay. Fifteen is the minimum, okay?

Joanna: Okay.

Stan, Chotchkie's Manager: Now, you know it's up to you whether or not you want to just do the bare minimum. Or... well, like Brian, for example, has thirty seven pieces of flair, okay. And a terrific smile.

Joanna: Okay. So you... you want me to wear more?

Stan, Chotchkie's Manager: Look. Joanna.

Joanna: Yeah.

Stan, Chotchkie's Manager: People can get a cheeseburger anywhere, okay? They come to Chotchkie's for the atmosphere and the attitude. Okay? That's what the flair's about. It's about fun.

Joanna: Yeah. Okay. So more then, yeah?

Stan, Chotchkie's Manager: Look, we want you to express yourself, okay? Now if you feel that the bare minimum is enough, then okay. But some people choose to wear more and we encourage that, okay? You do want to express yourself, don't you?

Joanna: Yeah, yeah.

Stan, Chotchkie's Manager: Okay. Great. Great. That's all I ask.

You can wish that folks would dress to satisfy your opinion

And you can wish that folks would shoot the game to satisfy your opinion

And you can wish that folks would load their ammo to satisfy your opinion

But as long the shooter is within the rules, your opinion is strictly that, an opinion and no more valid than their opinion.

SASS has always taken a big tent approach - If you try to make the tent smaller; some of us will just choose to play outside.

Grizzly Dave, on 04 Sept 2013 - 18:35, said:

IMG_2920.jpg

OK folks, especially those who seem to be in favor of re-writing the costume rules and guidelines....Is what I am wearing above not cowboy enough for your vision of this game?

No, I don't have a problem with how you are clothed. It may not be correct enough for some, but besides your hat in this picture you could probably pass on a movie set and I think back in the 1880's as well (at least from my movie-educated view). A vest would help, but if you must have your shirts custom made, a vest may not be in the offing. And, the other part of that, Griz is just what you explained about the dificulty in being able to find clothing and footwear that you can actually use. No one ever for a minute has suggested or stated that those circumstances are NOT a consideration, because they are something that must be considered.

Moving on to Tex's editorial:

Seriously, I think what Tex is trying to say, when he said "people don't get it," is that the rules tried to be brief and spell out some minimum requirement for the new shooter and were trying to steer people toward the ideal. In the process, the rules layed out some minimum look and listed a few items that are absolutely not allowed. To my understanding, Tex is upset (and, many other silent members are also upset) that people play to the minimum example and not the ideal. Some even rub his nose in the rules that state the minimum as an example of what might be acceptable and in the process of doing so, insult him ... that is not right and is not what I would consider in keeping with "the cowboy way."

Anyway, I think I understand what Tex is driving at and if I do understand him, then I agree with him. I don't claim to be a translator for Tex's editorials, and I'd like to see him pass these editorials around for a real critical review from others before he releases the draft to the CC editor. In so doing, I think he would find that he's more understandable to his target audience.

By the way, notice the taboo items in the rules, specifically refer to "feathered cowboy hats," being not legal? These were part of the popular culture chic look back in the Urban Cowboy days (Hmmmm. I can still see the Debra Winger, character, drunk, riding that mechanical bull ... yow!. :wub: ) :wacko: Okay, back on the clock now....... That look probably pissed off the Wild Bunch at the time. Funny, but revealing as well, because that list is not meant to be firm, but fluid. It's not the Constitution and therefore, neither are the rules for "legal" attire. The wb boys expected people to play the game, in "the spirit of the game," but many are engaged in pushing the envleope on guns and anything else they can push to gain an edge.

I believe that the Wild Bunch expected that as people warmed to the game, that they would become enthusiastic about being "properly" and "appropriately" clothed and try to look as if clothed by the property department of a movie studio or as in the old tintype photos of the period. That was the intent of the minimal rules on the subject. That didn't happen. Notice I didn't say "costumed," because there's a difference between "being in costume" and "being dressed in period attire."

AND, Hey Tex! I DISAGREE that the vendors out there are providing even good period clothing. I believe that if they really were, more would be buying from them. Generally, what you find is cheesy, slick cotton shirts of printed designs of cheap cotton or poly blend that do not really fit. Who wants it? Where are the actual woven reproduction period designs of good cotton and wool? Trousers made of the same old cotton twill and colored denim? Better than nothing, I guess. And, if you order, the usual back-and-forth until you get a good fit. And, if custom made, you're usually stuck with something you can't wear. Until this is addressed by buyer demand not much will change.

I don't believe what I've said is contradictory, because I believe there are multiple issues in play related to this "appropriate SASS attire" discussion.

But all that is my opinion and my opinion, of course is the RIGHT opinion. ;)

Why not? I've got a better question, why should I? To please you? Sorry, I'm here to please ME. I'm absolutely 100% within the required dress code? You don't like it? Then lobby to change the rules. Until then, you play your game the way you want to and let me play mine the way I want to...........within the rules.

Join the fun? When you start paying my membership dues and match fees you can decided what I think is fun. Until then I'll decide on my own, thank you very much.

Gee..I guess you don't like to see old style cowpoke clothing....play like the "Modern looking westerner you want to be"...play your own way cause you missed the point...some just like to see more of the Old west...don't worry about pleasing me .....sorry you were so threatened..much apologies..Tuco.

Grizzly Dave,

Your great! I am a big fan of neckerchiefs!

Have you considered beard ties?! :D Texas Fritz has em sometimes. Stumpman otta have em.

50% of any game is just showin up!

The other 50% is between your ears.

OkD

OK folks, especially those who seem to be in favor of re-writing the costume rules and guidelines....

You look plenty Cowboy to me Grizzly. Either that, or some sort of Western Dwarf. :P j/k

Peachey Carnehan is my kind of people. I had the same scene running through my mind when I was reading through some of these arguements and opinions as well.

The arguement that I am hearing here is not that a shooter is in fault or breaking a rule when he wears only the "minimum standard". It is the fact that the SASS minimum standard is too low. Am I correct here?

In other words, a lot of people have brought their costuming up beyond the minimum standards, so up yours. ;)

:huh:

Now wait a minute, which is it?? :huh: You agree with Tex, or you agree with Gizz's outfit of jeans and just boots?? :wacko:

J :ph34r: R-E

Well... yes it is both..Tex's article and I agree... if it's legal its legal and there is a big tent of interpretation...It seems to me the WB is questioning whether costuming is stepping up or sliding down. The way I see it.... it is COWBOY action shooting...not action shooting-cowboy division and thats what I mean by the cheapening of the game. Within the rules I say live and let live. For me and I think for the WB..this is a fantasy style game and I'm going to play it that way. I'm going to say my line as loud as I can. And while I'm wearing striped pants that look like I stole a couch for fabric, I'm not going to take myself too seriously. I think some of you guys have written more into Tex's article than is really there. I like the rules just fine. I don't think there should be any need for costuming rules. I want to play Cowboy..the more accurate the better. If it was just about the guns I could shoot my stuff in Steel Challenge or something and wear shorts and a guitar T-shirt.

Dash I'm with you. And I took no offense on your orginal post, I did not see you attacking anybody or how they dress. Dressing up cowboy is fun (at least to me) But if others want to do it diffrent, I say Que Sera Sera. I ain't never gonna be the fastest, nor the best looking, nor the cleverest wordsmith on the wire, but I doubt anybody has more fun in this game than I do.

Dash I'm with you. And I took no offense on your orginal post, I did not see you attacking anybody or how they dress. Dressing up cowboy is fun (at least to me) But if others want to do it diffrent, I say Que Sera Sera. I ain't never gonna be the fastest, nor the best looking, nor the cleverest wordsmith on the wire, but I doubt anybody has more fun in this game than I do.

Well said Hoss :)

I did not read the whole thread. Simply not interested. Comply with the rules and let others do the same.

Tex is OK. I had an opportunity to go nose to nose with him on a SASS activity that I do not agree with and he does. Argument was amicable and both view points were discussed.

He did not sway me nor did I he.

I left with a greater respect and I hope he did the same.

I did not read the whole thread. Simply not interested. Comply with the rules and let others do the same.

Tex is OK. I had an opportunity to go nose to nose with him on a SASS activity that I do not agree with and he does. Argument was amicable and both view points were discussed.

He did not sway me nor did I he.

I left with a greater respect and I hope he did the same.

Noz,

To me, that's it in a nutshell. I may not agree with what others think, nor they with me, but it does not mean that each of us is not entitled to our own opinions. We should be able to respectfully disagree. I can agree to disagree with most anybody!

Lookin' good -SASSy good! ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

"It is hard for me to understand that some of those who truly love CAS don't seem to care enough to find some minimal outfit in which to shoot other than denim."

And what's wrong with denim? Tex went so far as to say Wranglers had no place in SASS.

It was good enough for the Duke.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZBE3VYEj6zM/T1fZ5WOjTsI/AAAAAAAACcM/GGUBQp8lfyI/s1600/12_1939+Wyoming+Outlaw.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ZBE3VYEj6zM/T1fZ5WOjTsI/AAAAAAAACcM/GGUBQp8lfyI/s1600/12_1939+Wyoming+Outlaw.jpg

You mean Tex writes has an article? - Who knew?

How many years will you simpletons fall for this kind of pot-stirring? How many times will you give Tex the power to pit one against another here on the Wire?

Remember what you read is the lunatic ravings of a madman - they are only his opinions and not the word of God (or the WB). We have rules - use them.

(and I like Tex too but have never lived or died based on his opinions)

Archived