SASS Wire Forum

Tex's costuming editorial

Dash Caliber

Lets look specifically at what I wear at every match.

IMG_2920.jpg

Yup, those are jeans, not Wranglers, but whatever brand the big fat dwarf store sells.

And the boots, yup, they could be called just any old boots.

I have yet to find pants or shirts at ANY vendor that will fit me. And yes, I have looked, repeatedly.

I have my shirts custom made.

So reading the editorial I should feel ashamed, and be penalized at matches for what I wear? I think not.

Like Phantom said earlier in the thread, I see costuming improving, not on the decline, but then again I obviously don't shoot where Tex does.

It is often asked how we can improve attendance and membership. Lamblasting loyal members for playing within the rules is NOT HOW TO DO IT. Have a problem with how one of the champions is dressed at an event? If you ae a match, club, or SASS official, take them aside and discuss it with them privately.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a simple solution: Every shooter must shoot Classic Cowboy/ Cowgirl.

Problem solved......or just GTF over it. If SASS WB changes the rules to FORCE shooters to adopt costuming it will cut participation at least 50% the first year.

People don't suffer that well.

It amazes me that this topic keeps being rehashed year after year after year. In 9 years of shooting, I have never seen a shooter complain about another shooter's costume.

This "dead horse" is actually a "dead unicorn" as far as I am concerned.

And yes, my first match as well as my first regional had me on a posse with Gunzilla.

Wow! love seeing everyone complain, I do agree with some of Tex s article, Would like to see everyone dressing cowboy/cowgirl. You don't have to spend hundreds of dollars on clothes, I do have issues with people who spend thousands of dollars on guns, send them away for hundred dollar action jobs, have the latest 3rd. 4th. gen. short stoke kit, buy $500 gun rigs, then complain about buying a $25 dollar western shirt. Not talking about Newbies here, or people with medical conditions that prevent them from wearing boots, but come on you can outfit yourself with clothes and boots for around $200. Wild West merc. has great pants for under $30, and shirts for $25. Frontier fort boots $125 per pair. Bailey hat for under $50. or find one at the local Goodwill or ebay.

Rafe

I take issue with people who spends lots of money getting dressed up to look like their idea of a cowboy and then bring crappy guns to a match. I mean come on, short stroke kits and tuned Rugers aren't that expensive. ;) Sound odd? Perhaps I should focus on what makes me happy shooting and not worry about what floats other people's boats.

I also take issue with people who don't shoot as fast as others and then say, they're only there to have fun, as if the fast shooters are there for some other reason.

If Tex want to change the dress rules, he and the Wild Bunch can do it any time they want to do so, it is their company. I doubt seriously if the members/TGs would vote with enough votes to make such a change. A lot more popular changes than this kind of change have failed the last few years.

Dash you're a cowboy I look up to, one of the first I met starting out in the game. Having said that, in this case I disagree with you.

1. NCOWs has a fraction of our membership, I don't believe they have anything to offer us that will be an improvement, unless you prefer 'better' costuming and significantly lower attendance an improvement.

2. The idea of establishing minimum dress codes rules, then ignoring them in favor of a subjective measure based on someone's opinion of what is acceptable will lead to a lot of unhappy shooters who have no idea what will be required of them at different venues. If you're within the rules that should be enough. I know if I'm in compliance and someone questions why I'm 'minimally' attired they won't care much for my response.

3. I think defining supporting the 'Spirit of the Game' as going beyond dress code requirements is a mistake. SOG should be bigger than that. It isn't fair or accurate to imply that people who don't dress to the nines aren't supporting SOG.

CBB...just wondering what you meant to include under the second 3. in your post :D

There are some folks that really get into the costuming aspect and that's fine....it's their money and if they are within the rules then good for them. I'm not so much into that part of CAS shooting. I go to shoot and visit with friends and meet new shooters and make new friends....some of the best folks you'll ever meet are at CAS shoots.

That said....the WB own the brand and they'll set the rules. As "guests" in their corral paying "annual rent" we'll need to go by their rules or go to another corral. Listening to the owners complain every now and then is part of the price to pay to stay in their corral.

Kajun

:D

That said....the WB own the brand and they'll set the rules. As "guests" in their corral paying "annual rent" we'll need to go by their rules or go to another corral. Listening to the owners complain every now and then is part of the price to pay to stay in their corral.

Kajun

His statement "The RO Committee will be adding this important subject to the Territorial Governor's Agenda " says it all. I might be mistaken, but arn't the TG's the ones who will have to vote to implement any changes. I don't think Tex and the RO Committee can change anything without the TG vote to approve. I sure hope this is the case.....don't really care who "owns" SASS, without us, they would have nothing.

Kajun

His statement "The RO Committee will be adding this important subject to the Territorial Governor's Agenda " says it all. I might be mistaken, but arn't the TG's the ones who will have to vote to implement any changes. I don't think Tex and the RO Committee can change anything without the TG vote to approve. I sure hope this is the case.....don't really care who "owns" SASS, without us, they would have nothing.

The Wild Bunch can and has made rule changes unilaterally in the past with no TG input/vote or even in opposition to TG vote and I expect will do so again in the future.

Kajun

Someone else please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong here.....it is my understanding that the TG's can vote to change the rules and this gets forwarded on the WB. The WB will consider the proposed rule change and have the right to accept or reject the change.....they own the brand...period.

Kajun

The Wild Bunch can and has made rule changes unilaterally in the past with no TG input/vote or even in opposition to TG vote and I expect will do so again in the future.

Yep, but I bet they won't knowingly make a change that affects cash flow. IMHO tightening the dress regs would cut back on cash flow. Far better to leave the regs the way they are and complain about SOG issues with respect to dress. That way you can have your cake and eat it too.

I havn't read the article yet, but, I more or less agree. I think costuming is a part of CAS. When I first started, I thought the costuming was kind of hokey, but I'm getting where I like it more and more. But.... each of us can do it however they like, within the rules. What I don't like is somebody expressing an opinion on here and getting barked at for it. we are all entitled to our opinions.

What's more "hokey" than what people wear to walmart????What young people wear ....old folks at the grocery store ....Ya spend thousands of dollars on guns and RV"s but wear cheap straw hat and modern jeans.....sure it's legal..But why not put a little effort in your outfit.....buy boots that fit i know lots of old people who have to wear steel toe shoes at work..the buy good ones and ones that fit ...everyone like to see a great outfit.....just my opinion ...There was lots of room for effort in outfits at the big shoots I was at.......In MY opinion..........Tuco.(dress up and join in the fun)

That's bull. Ya put your opinion out there and accept the fact that other's opinions may differ...and your opinion may be WRONG!

When you also put out your opinion...and then state that you EXPECT to be flamed...then MAYBE you should rephrase your opinion or simply not give it.

The OP was not only an OPINION of dress, but it was a JUDGEMENT of others. THAT is not necessary, but if one wants to pass judgment on others then they should be willing to accept strong opinions to the contrary.

There are folks that will take an EXCEPTION to represent a trend. Often times this is done by folks that either don't get out much, or are new to the game...or some kind of combination of the two.

Outside of relaxed Summer dress codes, I've seen an up-tick of dressing up.

Phantom

You mean like you're doing?

What's more "hokey" than what people wear to walmart????What young people wear ....old folks at the grocery store ....Ya spend thousands of dollars on guns and RV"s but wear cheap straw hat and modern jeans.....sure it's legal..But why not put a little effort in your outfit.....buy boots that fit i know lots of old people who have to wear steel toe shoes at work..the buy good ones and ones that fit ...everyone like to see a great outfit.....just my opinion ...There was lots of room for effort in outfits at the big shoots I was at.......In MY opinion..........Tuco.(dress up and join in the fun)

My hokey comment was not meant to offend, just a comment on how I felt when I first started out. I did worry some that I would be ridiculed or not welcomed at my first match if I was not properly costumed. Visiting a match or 2 put thoise fears to bed. I'm sure most clubs have a lot of leeway for new shooters. But the rules can be a little intimidating for newcomers.

I've been putting some effort into my outfit. Unfortunately, I can't buy much "off the rack" I do have henley shirts that are fairly period correct, vest & suspenders and dickie pants, dont really like them, but working on alternatives. (if anybody knows where I can get period pants custom made, let me know) I had a pair of the Fort Western Mule Ear boots, but while OK, they hurt my feet after a long day at the range. I bought a pair of Earthwalkers. Probably not 100% period correct, but they sure are comfotable. I can wear them all day, and not have my feet kill me for the next 2 days. Couple hundred in a Stetson for winter wear, and a nice palm straw for these hot Texas summers. Both in period correct shapes. In short, yes I have thousands in my guns, and probably close to 1000 in my clothes, and will probably spend a few $$$$ more. I like the costume rules. I think it adds to our game.

Now as far as what some people wear to WalMart........wow! Ever looked at peopleofwallmart.com? Hope I never see myself there !!!! Wonder if somebody will start a "peopleofsass.com" :)

I say Bull!

Tell me where " definitely a move to cheapen the game in the name of competitiveness". At matches of late I've seen an up-tick in dress...EoT had more kids wearing chaps, chinks, vests...a whole bunch of nice "costumes".

Throwing the term "Spirit of the Game" out there is a cheap shot...IMHO. We already have a best working costume award...what, do you want to shame folks for wearing a minimalist costume? If that's the case, lobby to change the costuming rules.

Obsessed?? Hell, I can show you some folks that are obsessed with religion...guess what?! That's their choice. Don't think that you have life's priorities in better order then others.

You seem to have a guilty conscience and want to feel better about your choices at the expense of others.

If there is anything that's going to wreck this game it's folks that are judgmental of other's that play the game within the rules. Don't like the rules, lobby to change them. But don't whine if your ideas get voted down.

Phantom

I love Phantom....his reward is well deserved

Kajun

And without them you would find the sport dwindling away in very little time. Who else is there to hold it all together?

I have started and stopped this reply three times now.

But can someone please clear up my confusion....

I thought Jeans with belt loops were one of the required pants options for B-Western. You can't wear designer jeans, but I wouldn't consider Wrangler a designer label. Is that where I am wrong?

Now, I don't care to wear Wrangler jeans, but I don't see what the big deal is with other folks who would want to wear 'em.

The way I figgure it, if Jeans with belt loops are OK for B-Western, and we are all allowed to dress B-Western (with the exception of Classic Cowboy), then I have got to be missing something because I just don't see it.

Here's the bottom line: No one ... and I mean NO ONE is going to enforce it. Just like the tennis shoe/athletic shoe/ molded sole/grip enhancing cowboy lace ups.... a penalty call? LOLOL.....it's just not going to happen. Heck, we can't even get an MSV for a lever called without PTSD counseling.

I'm reminded of the time Snakebite decided to enforce the angle rule on crossdraw holsters at the CA State.... you woulda thought he had a kumbaya for pedophiles planned judging from the uproar.

We have more important horses to beat than whether or not your snap button shirt with jeans is SASS legal.

Here's the bottom line:

We have more important horses to beat than whether or not your snap button shirt with jeans is SASS legal.

but they are legal, in the right category

and aint it about time for that there other dead horse to raise from the depths again soon, you know the one???

:D:P:D

Go read Tex's editorial here:

http://www.sopdigitaledition.com/thecowboychronicle/#/1/

Olen

Ok, I read it. Some of the merchants are bitching they aren't pushing enough product so Tex has decided to write another editorial on costuming. We are all slackers because we aren't buying enough costuming from the professionals selling to CAS. Too many of us are still going to Thrift Stores and wearing jeans.

My routine summer time costume includes black 501 jeans, a cowboy cooler shirt, braces, a cowboy hat and cowboy boots. Sometimes I wear blue jeans and suspenders (the gun belt is over the snaps). I don't feel underdressed, but by Tex's standards I guess I am.

If one of those merchants who have noticed us (their sales) slipping would make some stylish and cool pants I would switch but canvas or wool in the heat of summer is not my idea of a good time even if period correct.

Dress includes the way we wear our leather. This too should be complimentary to the spirit of the old west or the B-movies of the 20th century. Wearing our guns on our stomachs at the maximum (or more) permitted angle places the muzzles of most guns about two inches on either side of a man's crown jewels. A while back the Chronicle featured a front page pic of a well known shooter thus outfitted. This poses an AD threat too ghastly to consider, and would make riding a horse totally impossible.

.But why not put a little effort in your outfit..

....(dress up and join in the fun)

Why not? I've got a better question, why should I? To please you? Sorry, I'm here to please ME. I'm absolutely 100% within the required dress code? You don't like it? Then lobby to change the rules. Until then, you play your game the way you want to and let me play mine the way I want to...........within the rules.

Join the fun? When you start paying my membership dues and match fees you can decided what I think is fun. Until then I'll decide on my own, thank you very much.

Why not? I've got a better question, why should I? To please you? Sorry, I'm here to please ME. I'm absolutely 100% within the required dress code? You don't like it? Then lobby to change the rules. Until then, you play your game the way you want to and let me play mine the way I want to...........within the rules.

Join the fun? When you start paying my membership dues and match fees you can decided what I think is fun. Until then I'll decide on my own, thank you very much.

+1

Pretty much nails it for me. :)

That's the problem with the two or three month lead time for getting an article into the Chronicle. Tex obviously had not read the costuming thread from a week or so ago. In that thread it was clearly and unequivocally decided on this here wire that ANY clothing or accoutrement from ANY country anywhere in the world is appropriate SASS attire as long as it appeared in a movie that was supposed to take place in the 19th Century or there is other evidence (like Wikipedia) that something existed or might have existed in the 19th Century. Who the heck does he think he is anyway? I don't want to hear from some Johnny come lately, I want to hear from someone with a low SASS number like 1 or 2.

Ok, I read it. Some of the merchants are bitching they aren't pushing enough product so Tex has decided to write another editorial on costuming. We are all slackers because we aren't buying enough costuming from the professionals selling to CAS. Too many of us are still going to Thrift Stores and wearing jeans.

If one of those merchants who have noticed us (their sales) slipping would make some stylish and cool pants I would switch but canvas or wool in the heat of summer is not my idea of a good time even if period correct.

Perhaps if the "clothing merchants" aka retailers sold decently manufactured clothing, things would be different. The "major" suppliers like Wah Maker, Tombsone and others have had a serious decline in quality control.........this isn't just recently. Seams that fall apart (both shirts and pants), suspender studs pop off and buttons that come unsewed......come on....shirt sleeve buttons.....I wear my sleeves rolled up.....isn't like there's any stress on 'em.

So far as Tex's article, it's the same old thing. Stir the pot, things won't stick to the bottom when it boils and the top of the pot smells good. Clothing thread #53,736 on the SASS Wire.

If your "costume" is within the published/stated rules and anyone else still cares.........they are the one(s) with the problem.

Carry on with the beating.

Ah hell! I haven't seen a call for a "Stock Gun Category" for at least a week.

I was thinking cross draw dance.....

I usually get through about a half paragraph of Tex's articles...go have my aneurysm...then go play cowboy.

Four Bucks

Well by golly I got through about 4 paragraphs before I quit and turned the page..

But then again I read slow..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I was a slow reader in school too.. :wacko:

That's the problem with the two or three month lead time for getting an article into the Chronicle. Tex obviously had not read the costuming thread from a week or so ago. In that thread it was clearly and unequivocally decided on this here wire that ANY clothing or accoutrement from ANY country anywhere in the world is appropriate SASS attire as long as it appeared in a movie that was supposed to take place in the 19th Century or there is other evidence (like Wikipedia) that something existed or might have existed in the 19th Century. Who the heck does he think he is anyway? I don't want to hear from some Johnny come lately, I want to hear from someone with a low SASS number like 1 or 2.

:) +1

There is a simple solution: Every shooter must shoot Classic Cowboy/ Cowgirl.

Problem solved......or just GTF over it. If SASS WB changes the rules to FORCE shooters to adopt costuming it will cut participation at least 50% the first year.

People don't suffer that well.

Here's the bottom line: No one ... and I mean NO ONE is going to enforce it. Just like the tennis shoe/athletic shoe/ molded sole/grip enhancing cowboy lace ups.... a penalty call? LOLOL.....it's just not going to happen. Heck, we can't even get an MSV for a lever called without PTSD counseling.

I'm reminded of the time Snakebite decided to enforce the angle rule on crossdraw holsters at the CA State.... you woulda thought he had a kumbaya for pedophiles planned judging from the uproar.

+1

Pretty much nails it for me. :)

Good grief, I find myself agreeing with Brother King, Philly Slim and Anvil Al all three at the same time. How bizarre is that?

That having been said, let's just play the game, and not worry about somebody else's dress style, shall we? There are relatively few costume based categories in SASS, so let's leave the rest alone and not go out of our way to drive shooters away, okay?

+2 ;)

Archived