SASS Wire Forum

Couple stories about the youth in our game

Phantom, SASS #54973

Reading about Lead Dispencer in the Chronicle this month...got me thinkin about a couple stories that illustrate the quality of him...and another fine young shooter.

Now please forgive me for maybe not getting all the details perfect...but heck, I'm old and my memory sucks.

A few years ago, Spence dominated WR. Won the whole thing...and took 1st on many stages. So he had a few extra belt buckles.

So, out and about right after the awards, another shooter introduces himself and congratulates him. Spence asks how he did and the guy tells him that he did okay...that it was his first WR...and he shot it CLEAN! Spence, looks at him...then congratulates him and hands him one of his buckles and says here, you deserve this.

That's a Champion!

Now a little story about Badlands Bud at this year's EoT.

He shot a good match...had to barrow a gun...and a bunch of ammo ;) , but 'P'ed' on a Shotgun sequence. Very possibly cost him the match. So we're standing around and I don't remember what I said exactly to him, but his response was a very enthusiastic comment about how cool it was to be here (at EoT) this year because 1 of 3 things is going to happen:

1. The youngest shooter in history will win EoT

2. The first female will win the overall

3. The first non-American will win the overall

Trust me when I tell ya that he was genuinely happy that one of these three things was going to happen and that he was there to see it.

NO feeling bad about himself...no pouting...just happy for his fellow competitors.

That's a Champion!

I'm honored to have them as friends and I'm humbled by their character.

Phantom

Reading about Lead Dispencer in the Chronicle this month...got me thinkin about a couple stories that illustrate the quality of him...and another fine young shooter.

Now please forgive me for maybe not getting all the details perfect...but heck, I'm old and my memory sucks.

A few years ago, Spence dominated WR. Won the whole thing...and took 1st on many stages. So he had a few extra belt buckles.

So, out and about right after the awards, another shooter introduces himself and congratulates him. Spence asks how he did and the guy tells him that he did okay...that it was his first WR...and he shot it CLEAN! Spence, looks at him...then congratulates him and hands him one of his buckles and says here, you deserve this.

That's a Champion!

He shot a good match...had to barrow a gun...and a bunch of ammo ;) , but 'P'ed' on a Shotgun sequence. Very possibly cost him the match. So we're standing around and I don't remember what I said exactly to him, but his response was a very enthusiastic comment about how cool it was to be here (at EoT) this year because 1 of 3 things is going to happen:

Trust me when I tell ya that he was genuinely happy that one of these three things was going to happen and that he was there to see it.

NO feeling bad about himself...no pouting...just happy for his fellow competitors.

That's a Champion!

Phantom

And these are the things that make this the greatest sport/people on earth. :)

I have shot with both of-em, and more than once

they are both kidds to ride the trail of life with

in a man on man shoot off one time, I was sooooooooo slow, that Bud, took a step closer to me when he was done

he started pulling shot shells out my belt for me, and handing them to me, for my last couple of shots

what a hoot

everyone on the range laughed at the fun we were having in a shoot off

a shoot of that had bleachers, mic and sound system

both lead and bud, know how to be humble

they are great for new shooters to be around

they share what they know, and their positive energy rubs off

That's a Champion!

That's a Champion!

Phantom

Very nice thanks for sharing.

KK

Just tryin to let folks know what a true Champion is...and how great some of our youth are.

;)

PS: they are both from California...but that's only because I came from California. This is an acknowledgement of THEM...nothing to do about me.

Great examples of Champions and how real men (gentlemen) behave.

Thanks for posting Phantom.

There's more to being a Champion than shooting fast.

Both of those gentlemen exemplify that.

Cheers,

FJT

as well as you

FJT, you rock as well mann

I still hoop and hall-er for all clean stage shooters,

after shootin with you

it increases the engery level in a posse, and rewards a clean shooter

They are the champions that inspire our youth. Excellent topic.

Just tryin to let folks know what a true Champion is...and how great some of our youth are.

;)

PS: they are both from California...but that's only because I came from California. This is an acknowledgement of THEM...nothing to do about me.

As was said tio the overachieving tuna, "Sorry, Charlie". I wasn't trying to diminish your message. :blush:

I have met both those young men, albeit too briefly. I, too, was impressed with their attitudes and demeanor. In our brief talks they did not speak of themselves, or their accomplishments. I was taken with how genuine they were. I feel certain that most TRUE champions are this way. ;)

As was said tio the overachieving tuna, "Sorry, Charlie". I wasn't trying to diminish your message. :blush:

I have met both those young men, albeit too briefly. I, too, was impressed with their attitudes and demeanor. In our brief talks they did not speak of themselves, or their accomplishments. I was taken with how genuine they were. I feel certain that most TRUE champions are this way. ;)

I know you weren't Goody... ;)

There's more to being a Champion than shooting fast.

Both of those gentlemen exemplify that.

Cheers,

FJT

And truer words were never spoken on the wire.

EC

Hi again,

I don't know Spencer other than having said hello a few times. Bud, I've known since he was "knee high" to a brass picker.

Here is an OT story about the kind of person Bud is. Hubby was an early mentor. When Bud found out we were building a house and Hubby's hands had gone south on him due to neuropathy, Bud asked what he could do to help. He really liked taking a sledge hammer to the house we tore down. I think it's a guy thing. ;)

Hubby had been an electrician and needed help there too. Bud was a willing learner and he stripped all of the wires in all of our electrical outlets and switches. We are forever grateful for his friendship and help!

:wub: you Bud!

Regards,

Allie Mo (and Jess Brown)

Same topic, different shooters. When I first started SASS I chose Duelist. Out of pure chance and luck I fell in with a couple of pretty good shooters; Madd Mike (You may or may not have heard of him.) and the reigning Nevada State Duelist Champion, Just Ace. I came to SASS from various modern shooting disciplines and was COMPLETELY surprised by the way these two jumped in with encouragement and started helping me get better. It left me awe struck, especially Ace. I was his competition yet he seemed to cheer for me louder than anybody else. It took me three years of work but when I finally beat Ace for the state championship, he was the very first person to jump up and congratulate me. To this day, these two gentlemen are the standard to which I judge other cowboy shooters.

(Actually there's a third shooter who's helped me from the very beginning and is still helping me to this day. His name is Creeker. I don't want to congratulate him too much because he gets such a big head. :P )

I've gotten help from many other shooters. One top local shooter in particular, Smokey Wood, really helped me when I was starting out. And truthfully, we still discuss how to shoot stages and gun transitions and such. But he has helped me and many others to improve ourselves in this game. I've tried to do the same for others. I'd repay him poorly if I didn't follow his example.

Archived