SASS Wire Forum

Cody, Wy.

Barbwire Benn

Going to Cody, Wy. The last week of Sept.

What are the Must see and dos.

Wild Bill museum is on the list.

Yellowstone of course.

What are the cowboy can't miss going to places?

Barbwire Benn

They run you out of North Carolina?

Gotta go to the Irma for a meal.

The Buffalo Bill Historical Center is actually a collection of five museums. The Cody Firearms Museum the will make you drool with the items in it.

Liver Eatin Johnson (or Johnston) is buried on the west side of town. He was the basis for Robert Redford's role in "Jeremiah Johnson".

If you're passing through Greybull stop and eat at Lisa's.

GR

You could check on my property up near Clark to make sure none of my neighbors have caved in to the gas drillers. :angry:

Stay at the Irma. Museum is a must.

Guest Jess Money

When we were there several years ago, the admission to the museum was good for two days and we needed a day and a half to try to do justice to what we were seeing. The gun collection took almost an entire day and I couldn't believe how many different pieces are on display. Time and money well spent!

They do a "gunfight" every afternoon at the Irma for the tourists.They also have a monster gunshop on the east side of town, it's huge.....can't remember name. I bought a used Leupold spotting scope that was on consignment....cost 2,000+ new, paid 800 for it and was only 1 year old.

One of my favorite places..if hot there is tubing on Shushone River..or there was...lots of nice bed and breakfast in town and even a cheap hotel vacancy was clean..BB museum is 2 full days..maybe 3...Rodeo is cool when its on...one of the best steaks I ever ate in a place across from the Irma...of course I just spent 10 days on horse in the Bridger's Tetons so I was hungery..gunfight in front of Irma was sorta cool..one day in Yellowstone is a drive around..man could spend months there and not really get it all in. Do what you can..enjoy it

I was just there!! Had a great time. I stayed at the Irma, a fun place. The Buffalo Bill Center is a must see. Have a steak at Cassie's Steak House, delicious!!!! Check out the rodeo. Also Adriano's If ya want Italian food. If ya have time check out Buffalo, WY and the Occidental Hotel, we had a blast there!!!!

You picked the wrong time of the year! The Wyoming State SASS Championships are held in Cody in June, allow 2 full days for the Buffalo Bill museum. It's 133,000 sq ft under 1 roof! Granny's Family Restaurant serves a good breakfast, their cinnamon buns are to die for!

All the above suggestions are good. To do the Buffalo Bill Museum justice you need two days, three are better. When visiting the firearms section be sure to go into the basement. There are drawers and sliding partitions you can pull out and see a LOT more firearms.

If you can manage it swing up into Montana and see the Custer Battlefield. You won't regret it.

Sage Creek Gus

Get in touch with these folks. Powell is just a couple miles North of Cody on hwy 14.

They will show you a good time.

Bring your 'irons'........

http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_detail.php?Colter-s-Hell-Justice-Committee-WSAS-380

LG

Thanks. A lot to do and see in that neck of the woods.

Anybody recommend a good hotel/motel in the downtown area close to the

attractions.

BB

The Moose Creek Inn is a really nice motel, about a block west of the Irma. One must go to the BBHC, and Old Trail Town. As for places to go, Sunlight Basin, the South Fork, the North Fork, Yellowstone, the Cody Shooting Complex is one of the nicest shooting ranges in the country, the Big Horn Mountains and the Medicine Wheel. Rocky Mountain Sports is a big gun store in town. There's so much to see in the Cody area it's really tough to pick highlights. Head over to Dubois and the Tetons.

Assassin

(I lived in Cody for 8 years)

I stayed in the Moose Creek Inn for the match in June. I WILL NOT ever stay there again. Lousy parking, lack of hot water unless you turned the tap on 20 minutes before you required it, no coffee maker (Lucky I brought my own), about $169.00 a night.

Last year the wife an I stayed at the Skyline Motor Inn, it was about 2 mils from downtown and the Irma. It was a clean 1960's style motel only problem was there was no bar fridge available. Nice place though. The closer you are to the Irma, the higher the price of the motel at night

The Irma wasn't outrageous expensive. Did not have elevator. I can't say how the downstairs rooms were, but the suites upstairs were nice. We stayed in the Bufflo Bill suite, it was situated in the front corner of the hotel. was pretty old fashioned, clawfoot tub, tank over the toilet with chain etc. I don't know if Buffalo Bill ever actually slept there, but it was easy to imagine that he had.

Archived