SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 97 mag tube problems

Southpaw Gringo, SASS # 74217

Just wanted to pass this on to any Pards that might be in need of a "new" mag tube for there takedown 97. Story is that two of my 97s had bad mag tubes that wound slip the threads where they lock into at the reciever. Under firing the mag tubes would slip out when the shotgun was fired causing a jam on the next round and ending your firing string with the shotgun. The threads that turn into the reciever were worn and buggered up beond repair. I looked around for used mag tubes but was reluctant to buy any that might be as bad as the ones I was replacing. During my search I noticed that Numrich gun parts was selling reproduction replacements. I took a chance and just bought one because I know how cheap some reproduction parts from them can be for example the left extractor. I must say though that when I got the tube I was pleasantly surprised on the fit and finish of the new mag tube. The only thing I had to do with it was to drill out the hole were the mag tube lock pin slips into. It was a tad to small so I took it out to 1/4 inch. I now finaly got one of my match guns up and running again. There not cheap at 61.95 a piece but its a small price to keep your shotgun from falling apart at the stage like mine did. If your looking for one. >>>>>> http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/251770.htm

I'm glad you got it up and running again. I can't tell you how many 1897's I've seen for sale at Gun shows with the mag tube in upside down. I've been allowed to fix a lot of them for the owners, in just 10 minutes with my Swiss Army Knife and they've been very thankful. Some just don't care and say NO, it'll sell anyway.

You can't believe how much easier it is to take down and put together a proper '97 with everything right. No forcing of parts and it works so much better. I was wondering if your Mag tube was in correctly, or upside down. The little piece of Metal with the 2 small screws holding it on the tube in front of the wood should always be under the barrel, not on the bottom when assembled. The later ones had a pushed up bump instead of the screwed one on the tube...again under the barrel, not on the bottom. That way the interrupted threads can line up with the ones in the receiver correctly. Just sayin'

Jake

Howdy Jake. I hear what your saying and Im aware of that little raised piece of metal and were its clocked to when properly assembled. Funny you mentioned this because when I bought the shotgun, the tube was upside down. I guess after 91 years of this shotgun being taken apart and probably put together wrong many times, the mag tube threads just couldnt take it any more. You can see how the threads were not sharp looking and had a stripped out look to them. I got a guy who I shoot with and he works on many 97s said hes soldered the tube in place right at the takedown extention to keep it from moving. Its the last resort to take when no good tubes are available. I would never do that so I was very happy to find a good quality repro tube....

A lot of 97's require more than the mag tube. The threads inside the frame wear out also.

The trick to preserving both the frame and the tube is not to load the tube all the way with HEAVY shells.

Everytime the pump handle goes forward, the total weight of the tube and the loaded shells wears on the threads.

If you want to shoot Wild Bunch, find and use a solid frame model.

Archived