SASS Wire Forum

Flat topping the rear of sight of a '73?

Rance - SASS # 54090

I've seen many shooters here on the wire talk about flat topping their '73 rear sight..

Making target aquisition easier and quicker..

How far down the sight do you take it?

Thanks

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I've done some..

but..

How far do ya go? :blush:

Down to where you just don't take the V notch out of the rear leaf. Then round over the outside edges with a healthy corner (like 1/4 inch radius) that won't snag fabrics. And I usually widen the V with a 60 degree file.

Cold blue on all the shiny parts.

Good luck, GJ

Down to where you just don't take the V notch out of the rear leaf. Then round over the outside edges with a healthy corner (like 1/4 inch radius) that won't snag fabrics. And I usually widen the V with a 60 degree file.

Cold blue on all the shiny parts.

Good luck, GJ

Pretty much what I did.

Except I did not widen the V.

DON"T cut off to much. Leave you a little more than what you think you might want.

Then go out and try it. You can always file a little more at a time to get what works for YOU.

I have a big bead front sight from Manatee teamed with a flat top Ruger 22 rear sight on my '66-- works great.

--Dawg

Or, you can swap a Marble flat top sight for it. A whole lot easier than filing. Just saying.

Heck.

You can have it cut and filed down before you could even knock the old sight out.

Let alone have to put the new one in.

AND. You don't have to sight it back in. As you really did not move anything.

Heck.

You can have it cut and filed down before you could even knock the old sight out.

Heck.

+1 I have done many of those. With proper tools, it can be done. Although some don't have the tools to do it.

I've lost count of the number I've done. I suggest you start with a nice new mill file and wrap the rear sight area with masking tape (keeps metal filings out of the fore stock). Cut it down to where it looks good to you and then polish off the sharp edges. I also suggest a nice big front sight and opening the rear sight notch with a 60 degree "V" file. Then you can cold blue or not. Just keep a little oil on it.

Coffinmaker

Archived