SASS Wire Forum

Anybody else remember the Military surplus stores that sprang up

Those places were SO cool... like McManus's "Grogan's War Surplus!" :lol:

Bought one of these once for five bucks:

Bayonet_zpsa5a29307.jpg

Wish I still had it!

I carried out more canvas than a Boll Weevil.

I bought a cartridge belt with the 10 pockets. It was so big I had to wear it as a bandolier. My skinny butt and hips would not support it.

I even bought a canteen cover without the canteen.

What was I thinking.

Our next door neighbor owned a surplus store. I would go in there all the time. Got a helmet,pack,leggings,canteen,ammo belt,

c-rats and a bunch of other stuff. All the kids on the block would go down in a ravine behind our house and play army for hours on end. Man what fun it was then. Thanks for bringing those memories back.

Boy, that brings back some memories. When I was a kid, I could get lost in the old Army-Navy stores for hours

Yup. And all that old junk goes for top dollar nowadays. I found a stash of old helmet liners and headbands in the VFW basement. Sold them and made over $1000 for the post. Folks were paying 75 bucks and more apiece.

Yes indeed! Here in Greensboro, NC the store was GI1200, so named as it was in the 1200 block of street, in an building constructed as part of the ORD (Overseas Replacement Depot) during WW2. My dad used to take me there regularly.

See you down the trail......

Better times for sure.

I can't imagine kids playing army and cowboys and indians outside any more.

I remember playing Army and cowboys and indians. Had a cap firing Thompson for army and a cap firing lever action that had that little lever you flipped out to shoot as fast as the rifleman.

Used them to buy more than half the equipment me and my buddies used to hike the Appalachian Trail. But that wasn't until I was in high school.

First purchase was way before that. Got a helmet liner and a bayonet. $.25 for the liner and $.50 for the great long bayonet. It came with a scabbard. It was the only long one in the crate. I'm guessing it was an honor guard one. Mom wasn't happy at all but hadn't been happy back when I got a BB gun either. Times do change.

It's been over 60 yrs but if memory serves me you could get a canteen for .25, a webbing belt for about .20, a leather holster ( for a 45) for about .50, a steel helmet for about .75, a helmet liner for .25, leggins, shirts, pants, gas masks, bayonets and bayonet sheaths (which now I've seen going for +$65.00, shelter halves with all the necessary accessories, you name it!

They sorta dissappeared in the mid 50's.

Yup. And all that old junk goes for top dollar nowadays. I found a stash of old helmet liners and headbands in the VFW basement. Sold them and made over $1000 for the post. Folks were paying 75 bucks and more apiece.

Heck fir, Bob, they were treasures in 1947, to a 9 year old kid.

I don't remember when they "sprang up," but I do remember them from the mid-60s to late 70s. And the change from real surplus stuff to newly made for the civilian market "surplus" gear - half the quality at twice the price.

And the rummage sales at the church. This was in Vista, CA, right next to Camp Pendleton. A lot of WWII and Korean vets decided to stay in that area. So, as they got older, families got bigger, wives were saying "why are you keeping all that junk? We need the space! It goes to the next rummage sale!" Which meant, in reality, that they got rid of their stuff, and their kids bought other stuff that a guy on the next block had donated. Things just got moved around.

Just went to GI Joes on Wells Street here in Fort Wayne. granted, not the same as when we were kids but still the same smell!

Just went to GI Joes on Wells Street here in Fort Wayne. granted, not the same as when we were kids but still the same smell!

Sort of a blend of mothballs/ cosmoline/ sweat/ mildew.

Pure perfume to us as kids! ^_^

I still have the Garand bayonet I bought for $5. Used to throw it at a plywood target in the back yard till my arm ached.

Worth a lot more today. :D

I had one, and no Garand, so I gave it to a friend at work. Donno what happened to it, but I suspect it ended up on a table at a gun show.

I bought a Garand and no bayonet. Thought that at my age, thrust and parry were a little out of line, so I did not seek a replacement.

Oh HELL yes!

Guns, ammo, bayonets, uniforms, field gear, tents, cots, blankets, helmets, rifle stocks, mess gear, lanterns, flashlights, packs, etc.

Most of the Boy Scouts were outfitted like Darby's Rangers or Marine Raiders when I was growing up. Bought a lot of new civilian stuff there, too.

Some firsts: safety razor, four man tent, cot, 1903A1, 1911, S&W .38, Dick Special, 1903 pocket hammerless, Astra 400, Beretta 1934, Luger, KAR98, Webley Mk.VI, Enfield Jungle carbine, Enfield 1914 and 1917, gas mask, dummy grenades, and a hundred other long lost treasures.

Heck, I still use the 1942 metal canteen I bought as a kid!

Eventually the cork seals wear out... but not to worry! A slice from a champagne cork (ya can't use the cheap plastic-corked stuff!) makes a perfect replacement! ^_^

Okay.... for those of you why haven't read this, it's worth a peek:

Grogan's War Surplus

If you're gonna talk about Army Surplus stores, don't forget the granddaddy of them all- Bannerman's. Where else could you get a Gatling gun and the proper carriage for it?

I can still remember my visits as a teenager to Ranger Joe's over in Columbus, GA. (Not that any of you guys ever heard of the place, right?)

The gunshows that came through during that same era were cool, too. I remember one guy that had some sort of fold up Kukhri that was supposedly issued by somebody's air force as a survival knife. He grabbed on off the table, unfolded it and started taking a .50cal ammo can apart with it as a demo.

The old Army Navy Store on Congress Avenue in Austin, Texas closed long ago and Academy Surplus is now Academy Sports, but, even in this blue town, there are at least three pretty good surplus outfits still rockin' along. I get my daily wear desert tan BDUs at one of them.

Oh yeah. Name of the store in my town was B&B Surplus. We all had web belts, canteens, and helmet liners, and the well-to-do kids had lots more. And canned heat was kind of forbidden fruit for some reason. I remember hiding it from my parents.

I lived in Germany, Rhein Mein AFB, in 1969 and in the Boy Scouts there. One night at a scout meeting a front loader pulls up with palletized card board boxes full of what was beleived to be surplus Army gear. It had tents and sleeping bags and belts and canteens and ......first aid packs, open.....and bloody bandages........and shredded uniforms and as a group of little boys like on Christmas morning were opening these giant boxes as fast as we could suddenly one kid holds up a LIVE hand gernade then another than an M-16 then a .45 then A SCREAMING SCOUT MASTER hollers DON"T ANYONE MOVE!!!!! It seems these were the wrong boxes. We had received an Army units stuff that had been policed up after a hard faught fire fight. Sadly....we had to give all the stuff back. Including the gernades.........dang!!!!

Archived