SASS Wire Forum

Assault Musket

Subdeacon Joe

Not sure about that, but do know the musket and bayonet was as an advanced infantry weapon money could buy and in 1792 the militia act required all able bodied men to have one at his own expense and report when called. If we uphold our militia traditions, the M-4 carbine is the current fire lock of military pattern all should own, and we all should still be subject to call up.

I have recently taken up BP Musket shooting at my local gun club.

I would LOVE to be able to shoot 3 shots per minute.

My time was more like 7 shots in 20 minutes.

I guess my .50 caliber Hawken will not be classified as an assault rifle any time soon. :rolleyes:

Waimea

:FlagAm:

I guess my .50 caliber Hawken will not be classified as an assault rifle any time soon. :rolleyes:

Waimea

My guess is that the Hawken is rifled and to get the patched ball down the bore after a few shots isn't the easiest thing to do. Smooth bores like the Brown Bess are easier....

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Waimea

I had found online a section of a Continental Army manual from our First War of Secession. A well trained infantryman could fire 15 rounds in three and three-quarters minutes. I guess there was a lot of windage for the ball to be able to rattle down the barrel.

Archived