SASS Wire Forum

How to reshape vintage Stetson hat?

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

I was lucky enough to high bidder on a beautiful brand new unworn vintage 4x Stetson Big country hat on Ebay. It's a silverbelly and fits perfect. Trouble is it has a horrible 1970's crease. It's a big hat which I like and am going to go for a open crown Captain Call type crease. What's the best way to get that crease out of it. I know that to much steam can screw up the felting process. So do you soak it? Any experienced advice appreciated. Thanks

I got mine completely soaking wet in a bathtub of COLD water, shaped it to preference, wore it all day to let it conform to my head without shrinking. Then after another day to make sure it was completely dry, I sprayed it with a mixture of shellac and alcohol to stiffen it. Worked fine for me.

Not the shape you are after but here is how Roy Rogers shapes his hat. Principle should be the same, he uses shower to wet hat, can't advise regarding temperature.

Moisten, shape, let dry. I'd maybe consider a silicone spray to help water bead up after shaped, personally not a fan of shellac.

I held mine above a pot of boiling water, used a rolling pin, and a few other things laying around to use as a mold, held the mold up against it to the shape I wanted, it took time, but the steam made it hold it's shape...

Before that I experimented with, hair dryer, iron, among other things, the steam worked best

Deuce,

Remove the liner, fill the hat with water up to the edge of the head band. Let the hat get good and wet. Empty the water out and take a towel, put it inside the crown and with your fist start working the crown out till you have all the crease out. Then let it set for a while and dry out. Now you will have a crown that look's like Hoss' hat on Bonanza. Put a Tea kettle on the stove and fill it with water. Take some aluminum foil and shape a cone to put over the pour spout to direct steam onto the hat. Once the water heats up and the steam is flowing start steaming the crown and shaping it to what you like. Once that is done set it aside let it dry, put on your favorite hat band and enjoy. You can shape the brim in the same manner just using the steam. Good luck pard. Hope this helps.

AIn't a gunsmith :blush:

Ain't a hatmaker either :wacko:

But my silver belly from bein' out in too many rain storms..

Completely lost it's shape..

I wanted a different crown on it anyway...

I filled a big ol' pot of water.. got it boiling.. held it over the steam..

Shaped the crown the way I wanted it.. I kinda' like a crease down the front..

Held it over some more steam... shaped the brim the way I wanted it... Kinda' like a bull rider brim..

Down in the front and back...

Held it over some more steam... Curled the front edges of the brim to my likin'...

My palm leafs.. I just fill with water...

Rance ;)

Thinkin'... Remember... I ain't a hat maker :)

Deuce.. with all the vendors you know and support..

Betcha' one of 'em would reshape it fer ya free of charge

But then agin' maybe it's somethin' ya wanta' try yerself..

That was my preference :wacko:

Did the

The Roy Roger's method above is good - how could it miss.

For what you want to do, and for doing it yourself, I am not a big proponent of steam. I use it to reactivate the stiffener IF NEEDED, or to fine tune a bash. The damage done by steam in the hands of the "home hatter" is ugly to behold!

I would buy a nice new (clean) spray type bottle and fill it with room tempt distilled water. Spray down the hat until you get it pliable (felt will darken) and then punch it out to an open crown. (Note: You really do not need to soak the felt, just get it evenly and completely wet. Spray it down and let it soak in. Repeat as needed. You will be able to tell when it is pliable.) It helps if you have a form, but if not, use a towel as a backing and work the felt until you get as much of the old crease out as you can. Let it dry overnight. Next morning, wet it down with the spray method and then set your new bash as desired.. Do NOT use hot water, and use steam only as needed to reactivate the stiffeners. Chances are you will not need to, as a good quality stetson hat will respond very well to this method.

Have fun! :)

"...personally not a fan of shellac."

You know, I did not think I would like it either until I tried it on an old worn out hat. I put a small amount of clear shellac in a pistol grip mister, diluted it about 2 to one with 90 % alcohol, just to thin it out for easy misting, and then lightly misted the hat. Lightly. When it dried (30 minutes) I could not see it on the hat, but the hat was nicely stiff. I would not use it on a 100 X Stetson President, But on a hat that is going to get black powder tracks on the brim, no problemo.

Steam is used by the two local hatters here in Billings Montana....Rands Custom Hats and Lawdog Hat Co.... if it is good enough for them it is.good enough for me.

Bugler

Steam is used by the two local hatters here in Billings Montana....Rands Custom Hats and Lawdog Hat Co.... if it is good enough for them it is.good enough for me.

Bugler

Yes, Most hatters use steam. But they have a machine that pours it out in unbelievable quantities. Trying to steam it over a teapot on a stove top is a disaster. Listen to Grizzly Adams, he has restored more hats than I care to imagine and he knows what he is doing. His advise worked for me.

Archived