SASS Wire Forum

"Ethnic Cleansing...?"

In California??

Wow! :huh:

Los Angeles Soccer Team

"The strategy of a Mexican billionaire to ‘Mexicanize’ his Los Angeles Major League Soccer team in order to attract the local Mexican fan base has resulted in what one former employee calls “ethnic cleansing” of the team..."

Somebody's gonna get an education... :rolleyes:

I think you mean golf. Soccer is a non stop game! :)

I've really tried to like soccer. I hear people tell me all the time that the action never stops.

While it's true that there aren't the built in delays for a huddle like in our football, but the reality of soccer is that once the ball in in play, one guy runs a few yards while kicking it in front of him. Then he stops, stands there and points around and positions people. Then there is about 10 seconds of action, and it stops, maybe control of the ball has changed, maybe it hasn't , then more gestures and yelling, another 5 or 10 seconds of play.

Yeah, there are a few tense, action packed moments, but it is far from the "non-stop game" it is said to be by its advocates.

Soccer, field hockey, marbles.... that's not the point. Read the article - it goes significantly beyond Ms Craig.

I dunno.... but I seem to find it vaguely disturbing (perhaps insulting?) that a foreign national can come here and run a business (yep, it IS a business!) and openly ignore our laws. <_<

"The suit claims that at a November staff meeting Vergara asked, in Spanish, who could speak Spanish. After identifying employees who did not speak Spanish, Vergara told them they would be fired.

“'If you don’t speak Spanish, you can go work for the Galaxy, unless you speak Chinese, which is not even a language,' Vergara allegedly said.

Craig says in her suit that it felt like “ethnic cleansing.”

Soon after this infamous meeting, Chronopoulos said he met with newly appointed team President Jose David, who asked him to research the current youth academy players and coaches as well as player’s parents about their ethnicity and national origin."

I think you mean golf. Soccer is a non stop game! :)

At least there are trees on a golf course. ;D

Ethnic cleansing or business? Looks like busines to me. Not ethical perhaps, maybe nniot very smart, but lots of business isn't.

A statement like this is a public relations nightmare that he will probably soon regret, 'If you don’t speak Spanish, you can go work for the Galaxy, unless you speak Chinese, which is not evena language,' Vergara allegedly said.

There are jobs in Miami and in border towns that you won't get if you don't speak Spanish too. And some in government require another language. As far as a foreign national running a business, that's not illegal.

The trial, if there is one, should be interesting.

For what it's worth, I think the guy is a jackass. We'll see if he's a jackass who loses.

Perhaps I'm just tied in with the California thing. Having spent a goodly amount of my life in management positions (including a VP grade slot with a Fortune 10 corporation), this is something that I'd suspect would have some lawyers scrambling.

Now, I am NOT a lawyer, but it seems that while it's true that some jobs may require language proficiency, firing someone for not speaking Spanish if it's not a job requirement might be dicey. But I'm even more alarmed by the order to "research... players and coaches as well as player’s parents about their ethnicity and national origin."

THAT is scary!

I can recall having "Parity, parity, parity!" preached at us. "Your staff profile should resemble that of the community!"

Hmm.... kinda like seeing Chinese cooks in a Hungarian restaurant in San Francisco and Hispanic cooks in a Chinese restaurant in Fresno.

And yeah, I HAVE personally experienced job discrimination for being a "honkey." :wacko:

Oops.... should I have said "the 'H' word" instead...?" :rolleyes:

Archived